Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2023 5:59:50 AM EDT
Hey Georgia Hometown,

Brought the kids down to go to the Zoo and Aquarium.

We’re staying in Buckhead because we heard it was nice.

Zoo -  no issues with CC or anything else. Nice Zoo saw the Pandas that we’re apparently returning to China soon.

Aquarium - no firearms, knives, weapons, lighters,  metal detectors at entry. No lighters?  That was a new one for me.  Kids loved it.

Lenox Square Mall - No Firearm signs at all entrances. Police, security, K-9 units, police tower in the parking lot, metal detector “traps” at the escalators.  You set off the detector at one end and security is waiting at the other seemed to be the plan.

We have a nearly identical mall as far as the “Luxury” stores in Charlotte owned by the same company with “typical” mall security nothing out of the ordinary.

We also noticed anywhere we go there are security guards in parking lots etc.

Target had 2 “tactical” looking security guards at the entrance and another in the parking area.

Is this area that bad? Just seemed excessive everywhere we went.

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:26:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By sgtgeo:

Lenox Square Mall - No Firearm signs at all entrances. ...

Is this area that bad? Just seemed excessive everywhere we went.

Thanks for the info.
View Quote

For several years, everyday you'd see reports of armed mugging, armed robberies, stabbing, shooting, mob ransacking the stores in and around Lenox.  The management installed the new security protocol to help stop that.  They even had their own mall cop shot trying to stop a robbery.  During the covid and antifa/race riots of 2020, it was the worst.

Yes it's bad.  I haven't set foot in that mall in 10 years.  Partly because I don't work in that area anymore.  The "luxury" mall across the street, Phipps Plaza, has turned equally bad.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:42:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ARstudent:

For several years, everyday you'd see reports of armed mugging, armed robberies, stabbing, shooting, mob ransacking the stores in and around Lenox.  The management installed the new security protocol to help stop that.  They even had their own mall cop shot trying to stop a robbery.  During the covid and antifa/race riots of 2020, it was the worst.

Yes it's bad.  I haven't set foot in that mall in 10 years.  Partly because I don't work in that area anymore.  The "luxury" mall across the street, Phipps Plaza, has turned equally bad.
View Quote

Exactly what he says above, enter at own risk!
I grew up by that mall and theaters and wouldn't go unless in a team of 5 or more packing.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 4:20:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I've worked across the street most of the last 7 years and it's kind of been in freefall. It used to be a very nice mall, along with Phipps on the other side of Peachtree. Phipps is still pretty nice but Lenox has had security issue after security issue.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By YaBoyKGTho:
I've worked across the street most of the last 7 years and it's kind of been in freefall. It used to be a very nice mall, along with Phipps on the other side of Peachtree. Phipps is still pretty nice but Lenox has had security issue after security issue.
View Quote

It’s hard to believe the luxury brands haven’t pulled out.  Several of the stores have the doors locked and are limiting access.  Even my wife didn’t want to deal with that and skipped those stores.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 10:24:51 PM EDT
[#5]
It's hard to believe that as a student, I used to ride Marta buses and later Marta trains to Lenox to see afternoon martinee movies in the theaters there, that was in the early 80s, 40 years ago.  Unarmed, felt totally safe, day or night.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 8:10:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: southerncross] [#6]
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 10:34:23 AM EDT
[#7]
"Buckhead" has changed a lot over the last 20 yrs or so including same fairly high-profile "disrespectin'" shootings. One use to walk the streets of Buckhead at 2am without the fear of getting shot, stabbed or otherwise accosted now that's very unwise.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 10:00:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ARstudent:
It's hard to believe that as a student, I used to ride Marta buses and later Marta trains to Lenox to see afternoon martinee movies in the theaters there, that was in the early 80s, 40 years ago.  Unarmed, felt totally safe, day or night.
View Quote
Visitors to the mall started changing in the 90's, with fights in the food court becoming common..  I can't remember the last time I visited Lenox other than outside the mall for the Peachtree Road Race, but while driving by on other days a quick glance was enough to convince me to not bother stopping.  Other malls have suffered the same fate.  I'm surprised they have enough clientele to stay in business..
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 3:17:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chopps] [#9]
I saw every James bond flick on a Saturday morning at lenox theatre's, park my bicycle outside and when the movie was over my bike was still there and EVERYONE was ALIVE.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 10:55:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Once MARTA trains made it to the malls, things went steadily down hill. I'm thankful that the people in Gwinnett haven't been dumb enough to connect to MARTA, but I'm sure it will happen in the next couple years. Gwinnett is DeKalb 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 8:25:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Seems malls have been the death of many decent communities over the years. I remember when I lived in Douglasville, it was a desirable place to be. As soon as it was announced we were getting a mall, I started looking further west. Let's just say that it really doesn't take a crystal ball to help connect the dots as it relates to what's coming next, and the expected outcome didn't disappoint. Having that said, I have since learned that institutions of "higher learning" can burden a community much like a mall does. (e.g. UWG)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top