Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2023 10:04:35 PM EDT
Local butcher, cheddar jalapeño

My go to is over a fire.

2nd place is the classic Wisconsin beer brat.

Beer bath before fire or fire before beer bath?

What say you...?
(yes I'm drinking Hamms)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 11:48:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I go both with onion. Hold warm of course.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 12:05:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Onion always, sometimes kraut.. never ketchup!
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 2:20:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Klement's soaked in Leinenkugel's then boiled to just before they pop.  Sour Krout, some mustard and a little bit of ketchup.  I like baked beans and corn on the cob with them too.  

I don't dislike the crispy outside, but I prefer the soft outside you get when you boil them.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 3:06:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By NesralG:
Local butcher, cheddar jalapeño

My go to is over a fire.

2nd place is the classic Wisconsin beer brat.

Beer bath before fire or fire before beer bath?

What say you...?
(yes I'm drinking Hamms)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/577174/20230603_205101_jpg-2839389.JPG
View Quote

+1 on the Hamms!  I was weened on Leinies, it's still good (the original), but since they sold out and started on all the tuitty fruitty stuff, I switched to a "beer only" brand.  Besides, it tastes just like I remember it and at $13/30 pack, it's a win win.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 7:27:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMARINE1108] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kapusta:

+1 on the Hamms!  I was weened on Leinies, it's still good (the original), but since they sold out and started on all the tuitty fruitty stuff, I switched to a "beer only" brand.  Besides, it tastes just like I remember it and at $13/30 pack, it's a win win.
View Quote

I bought a case of Hamms once.  I had 3 that night and even after brushing my teeth I felt like a cat had shit in my mouth.  To each his own though.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:19:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NesralG] [#6]
I like Leinie's, Red was my favorite but I never turn down an Original or Oktoberfest.

And yes Hamm's > Pabst.. I like trashy Milwaukee beer, so what .. I'll still hump a pack further than 90% of my age group lol
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:18:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kapusta] [#7]
Originally Posted By USMARINE1108:

I bought a case of Hamms once.  I had 3 that night and even after brushing my teeth I felt like a cat had shit in my mouth.  To each his own though.  
View Quote

That's one classy cat!  I'm not a wine or champagne drinker, so my taste is a little more "rural".  I only tried a few brands of beer that I thought really sucked - the crap- brewed by the guys that took over the Old Style brewery in Lacrosse (City Brewery?) and some stuff called "Milwaukees Best", I believe.  Oh, you can add Spotted Cow to that list also.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:15:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Few things are better than a grilled brat with mustard. Well, that was my thinking before I discovered grilled brats with wasabi! Not the super expensive stuff, the American green horseradish labeled as wasabi. It’s my new thing.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 8:06:07 PM EDT
[#9]
As in straight Wasabi or Wasabi flavored mustard?

On a side note if anyone lives near Cumberland I will compensate and barter for brats and beef sticks from Louie's Finer Meats!
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 6:37:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Beer bath after, and throw some quartered up onions in.

When done, throw onions in some foil and toss over the coals.

Toss in a quality bun with caramelized onions and stone ground mustard.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 9:00:03 AM EDT
[#11]
As in straight Wasabi or Wasabi flavored mustard?

On a side note if anyone lives near Cumberland I will compensate and barter for brats and beef sticks from Louie's Finer Meats!
View Quote

Straight wasabi…have to be careful with the amount.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 9:39:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Have preference for hickory smoked brats and hot Italian sausages.  Doesn't take long and keeps the juices in, or at least how much of the juices ya want in.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 10:13:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 7:48:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ryandushku] [#14]
Boil in beer with chopped onion and jalapeno. Fire. Return to pot.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 8:54:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NesralG] [#15]
Originally Posted By ryandushku:
Boil in beer with chopped onion and jalapeno. Fire. Return to pot.
View Quote

This is how I grew up knowing the Wisconsin beer brat, but it was green peppers not jalapeños.

Not too long ago I switched over to grill then simmer in a beer bath. I like to use foil cake pans directly on top of the ol' Webber kettle grate, full of Hamm's of course lol

I need to incorporate Chukar's foil packet method into my recipe.

Also, prebans, Hungarian sausages are delicious too!
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 10:45:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Pre-simmered in beer and onions for 10 minutes, grilled over a charcoal fire, returned to pot. I'm more of a traditionalist on bratwurst type, I don't go for those exotic flavored ones.
Hamm's is a fine campfire beer.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 3:54:25 AM EDT
[#17]
I would amend my answer to say any BODIED beer works well. Hamms is fine. Brown ales add a flavor dimension.

Far too many relatives thought my brats were the best when all I changed from them was to use this dimension rather than swiller.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 4:11:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Best brats I've ever had are made in Rhinelander... just had some today for lunch at a Brat sale outside the Eagle River store. Trigs SmokeHouse Brats. Trigs is a northwoods grocery store chain, with stores in Tomahawk, Rhinelander, Minocqua, and Eagle River. They also have a meat processing place in Rhinelander, called "The Smokehouse".

Not much of a beer drinker. Graduated to whiskey years ago. But if I absolutely must drink beer, I'd prefer it to be Leinenkugels original, Coors, or Miller Genuine Draft. Strongly prefer bottles over cans.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 10:55:23 PM EDT
[#19]
For those headed through point, hit up Ski’s meat market. They have an amazing brat selections to try.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 11:26:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Best brats I have ever had was from a small place in Green Bay.
It was called Buddha's Meat Market, and what I loved about them is
that they weren't ground into mush. They had some texture to them,
and they weren't so bland like most of the big names these days.
They weren't spicy hot or anything, but they had a bit of a zing.

Sadly they closed many years ago, and finding a replacement is tough.
The closest to them that I have found is a place called Miesfeld's in Sheboygan.

As for cooking, Dad always did that and I never paid attention. I will have to find out
and remember.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 1:41:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ESOXER] [#21]
Brats are a serious thing in my house, Trigs Point are pretty damn good, any local meat market is better than the big three. I use butter and saute onion and garlic, once it gets sticky I add some beer(Point Special)little by little, and do that till the onions are pliable, then I add kraut and more butter and stir till brown, then add more beer, a little at a time, to de caramelize the pot, then enough to cover the brats. Add brats and keep on low, could take hours to come up to temp, once it's at a boil for 3 minutes grill till crispy, throw them back into the bath or eat with kraut and Silver Springs Beer and Brat mustard. I always make more for brats and scrambled eggs the next morning. Make sure you have a locally made pretzel bun, makes all the difference.
Cheers!
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 3:07:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Just made some homemade ghost pepper brats the other day. Damn delicious, and since the wife and kids don't to spicy, they're all mine.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/11/2023 11:07:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Quiganomics:
Just made some homemade ghost pepper brats the other day. Damn delicious, and since the wife and kids don't to spicy, they're all mine.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/411079/Screenshot_20230709_142907_Instagram_jpg-2882066.JPG
View Quote

Except for the whole ghost pepper thingy,  those look delicious! I top out at jalapeño
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 9:37:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By rfb45colt:
Best brats I've ever had are made in Rhinelander... just had some today for lunch at a Brat sale outside the Eagle River store. Trigs SmokeHouse Brats. Trigs is a northwoods grocery store chain, with stores in Tomahawk, Rhinelander, Minocqua, and Eagle River. They also have a meat processing place in Rhinelander, called "The Smokehouse".

Not much of a beer drinker. Graduated to whiskey years ago. But if I absolutely must drink beer, I'd prefer it to be Leinenkugels original, Coors, or Miller Genuine Draft. Strongly prefer bottles over cans.
View Quote

I'll be headed up to Eagle River soon for some time on the water and look forward to stocking up on various Trigs brats. I prefer mine simmered in PBR with onion then finished over charcoal. Cooked in a pellet smoker isn't bad either.  I too, have moved on to bourbon. I can't drink beer like I used to. I feel like I ate a loaf a bread afterwards.
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 11:11:08 PM EDT
[#25]
I like Leinie's, Red was my favorite but I never turn down an Original or Oktoberfest.

And yes Hamm's > Pabst.. I like trashy Milwaukee beer, so what .. I'll still hump a pack further than 90% of my age group lol
View Quote

Hell yeah brother
Pibber was my main trash beer until I found Hamm's for $11.99 at Woodman's. It's in the $13 something range now but everything else has been inflated accordingly as well...
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 1:39:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By GlassHouse:
For those headed through point, hit up Ski’s meat market. They have an amazing brat selections to try.
View Quote

I second this statement.
Trigs are good as well.
Grilled with kraut, sauteed onions and mustard.

Just ate lunch and now I'm hungry again.
Top Top