Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2019 1:23:57 AM EDT
Can I carry folders and assisted openers on person and in a car within Massachusetts?  Does Boston pre-empt MA state law and have further restrictions?

Knives I would consider bringing are Spyderco Tenacious for a manually opener, Kershaw Tactical Blur, Kershaw Blackout, and Benchmade Barrage for an assisted opener.  Would all these knives be good to go in MA and the city of Boston?  I assume an H&K Tumult Auto or Kershaw Launch 6 would be forbidden to carry.

Does the New England Aquarium forbid the carry of these knives inside their facility?

Thank you much.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 5:43:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Boston has a blade length restriction of 2.5 inches, most people ignore it. Autos are illegal in MA for carry. Last time I was at the aquarium was for a school field trip in the 90s and didn't notice metal detectors then, no idea about now.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 6:07:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I went to the Aquarium two years ago and there was no metal detectors or security check points. Probably too many young kids with strollers to deal with.

Like already stated, Boston has a 2.5” blade restriction. Nobody follows it and unless you’re doing something really dumb no one will ever ask.

Folders and spring assisted are good to go. Auto and butterfly knives I believe can be “owned” but not carried.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 11:03:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for the information.  Texas finally got autos and "gravity" knives off the prohibited list about 7-years ago.  Autos are fun to have.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 12:05:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I was told by a local firearms/range that autos were allowed if you carry a LTC-A, I've not found info to confirm this though.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 4:34:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was told by a local firearms/range that autos were allowed if you carry a LTC-A, I've not found info to confirm this though.
View Quote
I was told that by a cop but was also told that you'll still get arrested for it because most cops don't know or care and will let the courts sort it out.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 4:52:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ah, your typical ignorant gun dealer (ETA: and cop based on the other reply). Auto-knives >1.5" long will get you a long stay in Walpole State Prison . . . and you become a Federally Prohibited Person as well, even with a LTC-A!
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#7]
It's not Boston, it is Mass Gen'l Laws (C. 269 S. 10(b):

I quote the entire paragraph of prohibited items below so you don't lose context.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter269/Section10
(b) Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a slung shot, blowgun, blackjack, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a), shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years nor more than five years in the state prison, or for not less than six months nor more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction, except that, if the court finds that the defendant has not been previously convicted of a felony, he may be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars or by imprisonment for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 12:09:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ah, your typical ignorant gun dealer (ETA: and cop based on the other reply). Auto-knives >1.5" long will get you a long stay in Walpole State Prison . . . and you become a Federally Prohibited Person as well, even with a LTC-A!
View Quote
This doesn't surprise me, they were selling them. So it would make sense that they'd tell you they're legal, gotta get those sales!
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 6:36:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This doesn't surprise me, they were selling them. So it would make sense that they'd tell you they're legal, gotta get those sales!
View Quote
I should modify my statement. It's legal to own switchblade knives, you just can't carry them anywhere unless they are <1.5" blade.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top