Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2023 1:19:26 PM EDT
I'm curious if anyone has gone through the bonded title process for a vehicle in MO.  Here's a link to the MO state info:

https://dor.mo.gov/pdf/Section7.pdf   (pages 10 and 11)

However I'm wondering if anyone has actually gone through this process and can offer insight.  I've got a dirbike purchased bill of sale only and I'd like to get a title for it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 7:43:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe you just need to have the Missouri State Highway Patrol to run the vin for you to make sure it's not stolen.
With that report and the bill of sale, you ought to be able to register it.

I have a boat motor, I need them to do that on. Have been putting it off.
The boat & trailer all have titles, but not the motor.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 10:19:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By drobs:
I believe you just need to have the Missouri State Highway Patrol to run the vin for you to make sure it's not stolen.
With that report and the bill of sale, you ought to be able to register it.

I have a boat motor, I need them to do that on. Have been putting it off.
The boat & trailer all have titles, but not the motor.
View Quote

I'm beginning the process tomorrow.  Well, I guess technically I began the process last week.  I went to the local DMV office with the VIN and had them confirm no prior title application / registration.   She worried me a bit by saying "I can't really say much, but you may want to call Jeff City on this before you go any further".  I called Jeff City, gave them the VIN and a recap of the convo with my local office.  Long story short, she said the original purchaser didn't pay tax on the bike (hence why it was a MSO vs a title).  She said "that won't affect what you're doing with it, though.  That's probably what the local office saw."  She confirmed it meets the bonded title requirements of >= 7 years old, value of $3k or less, and no prior MO title or application for title.

I'll print out my forms tomorrow and call Jeff City to schedule an appointment for the HiPo inspection.  I still need to confirm the requirement for proof of bond, but Google shows a bunch of MO companies that offer title bonds.  Local DMV office did confirm that nothing about the bonded title process will go through them, it will all be handled directly via Jeff City.  I assume this means I'll be mailing a packet of docs to them, but I"ll cross that bridge when I get there.

I think it'll be a pretty straightforward process.  The only thing that would make it a PITA as a replacement for the VT process is the requirement that it have no (or conflicting) prior MO title.  I assume if it had a prior title at any point, and there were no conflicting information, DOR would say "sorry, get the current title holder to request a duplicate and sign over to you."

That was one of the biggest benefits of VT, IMO.  It allowed some vehicle that had been sitting in a field for 30-50 years to get back on the road without some sort of near-impossible sleuthing.  I may see if I can find out what must be submitted to find the last registered owner of a vehicle.  Not sure if that's "a thing" or not.

Link Posted: 8/20/2023 10:47:26 AM EDT
[#3]
One option is to send a certified letter to the last known title holder and if they do not reply, then you file  based on the vehicle being abandoned. Plenty of people do this for old vehicles that have been sitting in fields or barns for decades.

The last time I messed with anything without a title was on an old John boat and old outboard motor. A Conservation Agent inspected the boat and signed the necessary paperwork. I took the old outboard motor to the Sheriff's department and they signed the paperwork. I had no issues with either when I took the forms to the local DMV office. I did get unique serial number plates issued by the state that I had to attach to the boat and motor.

The last time I messed with any road legal vehicles was with salvage titles. It is the same process in that you have to get the vehicle inspected at the MOHP headquarters in Jeff City.
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 10:39:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I decided to go the route of judicial declaration (court order) vs bonded title.  No trip to Jeff City for inspection needed, no bond to buy, no branded title ("bonded"), no arguments with the DOR about the paperwork.

Met with an attorney on Thursday about it.  He's doing this one and agreed to walk me through the process.  May take a few months, but so did the VT stuff.  I'll be going this route from now on.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 11:29:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Took a while (buddy deal and I was in no rush), but the Atty filed my paperwork last week and the case # is now active in Casenet.  Looks like court is scheduled for April 10.  I'll be going with the Atty on this one just to see what is involved.  After this one I'll be doing them on my own.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 8:14:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Just a side note, but a friend in my off road club has all his vehicles registered in South Dakota. Which results in no personal property tax. He does all his registrations / renewals over the phone.

I'm paranoid, I'd worry that Missouri would come after me for personal property tax, years later.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 8:48:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Whatcha trying to get registered? Anything cool - Land Rover, Land Cruiser, Japanese Import?
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 11:23:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Just a side note, but a friend in my off road club has all his vehicles registered in South Dakota. Which results in no personal property tax. He does all his registrations / renewals over the phone.

I'm paranoid, I'd worry that Missouri would come after me for personal property tax, years later.
View Quote

Tax stays with the owner, not the vehicle.  Unpaid taxes on a vehicle do not pass on to the new owner.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 11:24:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Whatcha trying to get registered? Anything cool - Land Rover, Land Cruiser, Japanese Import?
View Quote

Nah. Motorcycles without titles, old cars dragged out of fields etc.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:58:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I noticed on Casenet that the DOR submitted a response to my attorney's petition.  The response basically said "it's not stolen per MO Highway Patrol but it does show a lien placed in 2014.  Here is the info on the lienholder."  I was a bit concerned about that.

Had court on Wednesday.  Turns out it was a nothingburger.  Judge was reading DOR's response and said "I see a lien was placed on the vehicle in 2014."  My attorney responded "Your honor, I'm confident that if we placed Mr Motoguy on the record he would state he purchased the vehicle without a lien of any sort."

Judge signed the judgement, stating no liens or encumbrances of any sort.  I drove directly to the DOR and applied for a title.  Should be here in a week or two.  I've got a parts-only DRZ that was also purchased BOS only.  I plan to submit my own documents (no attorney) this time and complete the process for the DRZ as well.

I'm super stoked.  Turns out VT closing up was a blessing in disguise.  The court method requires no inspections, no VIN verifications, nothing.  Hell, I don't even need proof the vehicle is in my possession (which was mentioned to some of my SoCal friends who have title issues with their bikes).  The caveat of course being "if you try anything stupid you'll likely end up crucified".  So anything I do will be above board.  Still, this opens up a world of possibility in Title-Nazi MO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top