Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2021 5:47:48 PM EDT
I was just told by a gun store that now bolt action rifles get the state tax and extra background check time? Is this all true if so jesus I need to move out of here sooner.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I was just told by a gun store that now bolt action rifles get the state tax and extra background check time? Is this all true if so jesus I need to move out of here sooner.
View Quote

Haven't heard about the extra background check time unless they mean the NICS system being slow or down.
The state tax is for all interstate purchased firearms so that's not new.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 6:58:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

No. Time to find a new LGS?
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 9:41:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ummm.....

It would have had to have been in legislation that passed last session (as in May 2020 and I don't remember anything like that passing) as the current session is still rolling and no new laws have been passed thus no new taxes will take effect (if legislated into law) until 01 July 2021 (the start of the state's 21 -23 fiscal biennium).

I'm 99.99% confident that what the LGS said is a huge "no".

Perhaps you could get them to cite the specific RCW on that.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:09:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys. My usual FFL can’t take in any orders so I was going to try a new place and was shocked to hear this.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:35:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks guys. My usual FFL can’t take in any orders so I was going to try a new place and was shocked to hear this.
View Quote

Who is this LGS?

They need some educating.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:16:48 AM EDT
[#6]
99% of what you hear in a LGS is factually incorrect.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 1:36:47 AM EDT
[#7]
State tax?
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:39:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
State tax?
View Quote

They are talking about the Semiautomatic Assault Rifle Fee that is assessed by the state and paid to the DOL.

Unfortunately, if 5217 passes without modification, then certain firearms would be considered "assault weapons" regardless of operating method.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 1:05:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They are talking about the Semiautomatic Assault Rifle Fee that is assessed by the state and paid to the DOL.

Unfortunately, if 5217 passes without modification, then certain firearms would be considered "assault weapons" regardless of operating method.
View Quote

No the SAR fee is separate from sales tax.  A few years ago the state made FFL dealers the tax collector.. which pissed off a lot of people (including the dealers).  So if the buyer can't produce proof that they paid tax, then the FFL has to charge sales tax.

Link Posted: 2/10/2021 3:26:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No the SAR fee is separate from sales tax.  A few years ago the state made FFL dealers the tax collector.. which pissed off a lot of people (including the dealers).  So if the buyer can't produce proof that they paid tax, then the FFL has to charge sales tax.

View Quote

We are working under limited information as to what the LGS actually said. If they said "Extra background time", the only thing I can think of is NICS being slow, or that they are considering whatever he wanted to purchase a SAR. If they are considering it a SAR, which probably isn't the case as additional training wasn't mentioned, then it would incur the SAR fee. If it is just NICS being slow, then there really isn't a need to mention state tax unless the item is being transferred in from an out of state FFL and not from an individual.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 5:08:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ah, Ive been buying most of my firearms at PX, and I haven't noticed any additional tax or fees.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 6:37:08 PM EDT
[#12]
They are saying i do have to have the extra training class as well which is no big deal as i have taken an online class prev. The additional fee os the $18.00 to go to washington. Sales tax I do understand has to be paid. Which is separate from the 18.00 fee or the transfer fee that the dealer charges.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 7:11:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They are saying i do have to have the extra training class as well which is no big deal as i have taken an online class prev. The additional fee os the $18.00 to go to washington. Sales tax I do understand has to be paid. Which is separate from the 18.00 fee or the transfer fee that the dealer charges.
View Quote

What firearm are you buying?
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 7:30:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:11:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, so my assumption was correct, they are considering it a SAR. I would find a different shop since they have no idea what they are talking about. The other option is to get it shipped there and just call them idiots until they realize what a toggle action is.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 12:52:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Neat rifle!  Way cheaper than my PWS Summit (now marketed under the Volquartsen brand.). But yeah, that's definitely NOT a SAR.

Sometimes though there are situations that are outside the "norm" and the real answer isn't quite as clear.  Have a customer with a "muzzleloader" inbound.  Why is it coming to me, I asked, it's a muzzleloader! Because it is built on a Rem700 action it has to go to an FFL apparently.  Who knew?
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 1:35:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Yea in the end its not to big of a deal an extra 18.00 bucks and just the annoyance of a longer wait time. Sucks my normal FFL I use is waiting on their renewal. It is a cool little rifle i thought about getting the summit but it was a bit more I do like the toggle action and should be loads of fun with my suppressor.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 2:55:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Neat rifle!  Way cheaper than my PWS Summit (now marketed under the Volquartsen brand.). But yeah, that's definitely NOT a SAR.
View Quote

Well the PWS T3 Summit is way cheaper than the Volquartsen version! After so many years owning my T3 Summit I finally bedded its stock leaned up its action (reduced gouging), fixed it ejector (wasn't holding the round so did the 10/22 mod to the extractor), placed a scope on it worth as much as the gun and free floated my Kidd barrel. Gont one of the low serial # ones where they probably didn't work out all the kinks.

That Steryl looks pretty interesting and definitely cheap compared to mine. Definitely that isn't a SAR.

Link Posted: 2/11/2021 3:11:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yea in the end its not to big of a deal an extra 18.00 bucks and just the annoyance of a longer wait time. Sucks my normal FFL I use is waiting on their renewal. It is a cool little rifle i thought about getting the summit but it was a bit more I do like the toggle action and should be loads of fun with my suppressor.
View Quote

It kinda is though. Either the shop has no idea what they are doing, which is most likely the case, or the shop is pocketing the extra money and forcing you to wait. Either way, they are adding needless time to your background check and forcing you to pay more money than is required. That kind of issue needs to be corrected. Have you already done the paperwork and stuff or do you still have to do that.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 9:12:53 AM EDT
[#20]
I think the shop needs to be identified so that nobody else here makes the same mistake.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 9:37:37 AM EDT
[#21]
I haven’t done the paperwork but the rifle has shipped to them. I will wait till I go in maybe the person on the phone didn’t understand although i was pretty clear it was a bolt action. If they do make me go through the extra steps I will post them up so others know.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 12:39:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I haven’t done the paperwork but the rifle has shipped to them. I will wait till I go in maybe the person on the phone didn’t understand although i was pretty clear it was a bolt action. If they do make me go through the extra steps I will post them up so others know.
View Quote

Be sure to ask them to take the rifle and have them show you how it is a SAR if they continue to insist you pay for it.
You can you even show them the specs and videos.. But that's becoming ridiculous.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 4:55:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I think the shop needs to be identified so that nobody else here makes the same mistake.
View Quote

Yes - still waiting...
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 3:43:33 AM EDT
[#24]
that FFL is wrong. if they insist on collecting SAR fee for that gun, tell them to send the gun to another local FFL who doesn't have their head up their ass. who/where are they?
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 4:59:58 PM EDT
[#25]
@lrry491 just curious if there has been any progression?
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:51:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Ok so my rifle arrived today and no issues picking it up they must have just had a new employee answering the phone that did not understand that this was just a bolt action rifle.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 10:53:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ok so my rifle arrived today and no issues picking it up they must have just had a new employee answering the phone that did not understand that this was just a bolt action rifle.
View Quote

Good to hear.  Thanks for keeping us updated!
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 6:20:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Everything is an ASSAULT RIFLE now, in Kali North.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 7:28:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Everything is an ASSAULT RIFLE now, in Kali North.
View Quote

Almost everyone is a criminal, too.

Just call me Shiny.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top