Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2023 10:05:20 AM EDT
I caught a bobcat on my security cameras (on the house) so my wife and I walked around yesterday.  Damn thing came up the stairs but didn't go on the back porch.  LOTS of tracks all around.  I wasn't sure what the tracks were because they trot around but in the snow (and confirmation on the camera) it's unmistakable.  I'm guessing the bobcats are following the turkeys.  I have a half acre fenced in for the dog so I'm not worried about him, but I'm not comfortable with the bobcats walking around the side of the house.  They have a den in my big food plot 200 yds away from the house.  My wife and I think it's cool that they're here, sort of like pets so I'm not going to mess with them.  And no, I'm not going to play with them either.    Just leave them alone until they become a pest, but the previous owner said they stay away from the house.  Not the case anymore.  

Juneau Co.  Anyone else have them?
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 11:52:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one running around my property, my cousin a few miles away just trapped one, and a nephew over by Beaver Dam just got one a week or so ago.
They used to be real common in our area (Richland/Sauk counties) when I was a kid (70's and early 80's).
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 1:50:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Got a buddy in southern Juneau and we've been getting a few Bobcats on our trail cameras.  

My FIL got a few pictures of a Bobcat eating a deer carcass.  Northern Juneau Co.  

Seems their population is up.  I'm hearing a lot about them lately.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 9:58:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rfb45colt] [#3]
The only "cat" I've gotten trail cam pictures of was this one.... and the big, long, full tail makes it not a "bob".... but, it is a cat.

Link Posted: 11/29/2023 10:31:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rfb45colt:
but, it is a cat.
http://i.imgur.com/PtQZWGDl.jpg
View Quote

It could be a left-over cougar from the Frontier Bar.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 1:28:06 PM EDT
[#5]
This is the only bobcat I've seen lately...

Link Posted: 11/29/2023 8:16:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Shooterer:

It could be a left-over cougar from the Frontier Bar.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/29/2023 8:17:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By NAM:

https://i.imgur.com/OLHtgOD.png
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/30/2023 12:10:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By NAM:

https://i.imgur.com/OLHtgOD.png
View Quote

I have one of those and you just made me pull it out and spend an hour on google trying to figure out exactly what it is.  

Looks like mine is a New Model Type 3.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 9:19:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Buddy live trapped one in Walworth County about 8 years ago.
Don't you guys up north have lynx running around?
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 1:53:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Chukar:
Buddy live trapped one in Walworth County about 8 years ago.
Don't you guys up north have lynx running around?
View Quote

I've never heard of one here in Vilas County... but I've heard that some have been seen in the U.P.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 1:56:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Fur prices are crap.   Therefore, increased populations of everything.  A good time to be a recreational trapper.  Not sure how many make a significant income at it anyhow.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 3:06:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By rfb45colt:

I've never heard of one here in Vilas County... but I've heard that some have been seen in the U.P.
View Quote

My grade school friend shot the biggest Lynx to date back in the mid 60s was stuffed and mounted in his dad's tavern
in Ogema... Macky Spur Tap

It had been raiding his trapline and stalking him...he was able to circle back on one of his traps he left a snowshoe rabbit
in and shot the cat with his .22LR

He was 12 or 13yrs old at the time.

Guessing these days with all the buildup of homes and cottages and logging you'd have to look in the UP to find one...

Link Posted: 2/4/2024 8:49:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By WI_Bill:
Fur prices are crap.   Therefore, increased populations of everything.  A good time to be a recreational trapper.  Not sure how many make a significant income at it anyhow.
View Quote

When a simple muskrat is $10-14 put up, and coyote is $40-70 you can make bank.
Imagine a line and your scoring 100+ muskrat/ day.( not uncommon)

Bidens embarrassing embargoes doesn't help,  plus Trump’s ban put a crippling blow to the fur market.
The mocha messiah was the best.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 12:18:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kapusta] [#14]
Back when I was in High School (many moons ago!), we got $25 for a shot fox carcass - didn't even have to mess with skinning it.  I think the buyers just wanted to do it themselves and not have some yahoo kid button hole it all up.  That's about the time Mepps was paying $.25 for a gray squirrel tail and $.50 for a fox squirrel tail.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 11:15:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 9divdoc:

My grade school friend shot the biggest Lynx to date back in the mid 60s was stuffed and mounted in his dad's tavern
in Ogema... Macky Spur Tap

It had been raiding his trapline and stalking him...he was able to circle back on one of his traps he left a snowshoe rabbit
in and shot the cat with his .22LR

He was 12 or 13yrs old at the time.

Guessing these days with all the buildup of homes and cottages and logging you'd have to look in the UP to find one...

View Quote

Were Lynx ever a species that could be hunted or trapped in WI?
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 10:19:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Clarinath:

View Quote

somewhat offical record of lynx in WI.
maybe no "offical" season. Remember there was a time when everything was OK to shoot and trap
Also I'll bet that many were shot and or trapped and it was no big deal that never made the papers.

Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:01:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rfb45colt] [#17]
A friend of the family, who lived in Iron county on the Trutle-Flambeau Flowage, claimed to have seen one (lynx) several times in the mid 70s while he was in the woods hunting deer or snowshoe hares. It was always in the same area, so although he had numerous sightings (at least 6 times) he assumed he was seeing the same one, over and over. It was always in the winter with snow on the ground when he sighted it, so he saw it's tracks a lot also. He even named one particular cedar swamp "The Lynx Lair", because he always saw it in that vicinity. When they ran a snowmobile trail through that area, alongside that swamp, he stopped seeing it. I hunted deer & grouse in the same area back then, but I never saw it, nor it's tracks. But I do believe him, he wasn't one for bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 10:47:29 PM EDT
[#18]
with the decline in snowshoe hares I would expect a decline in lynx as well...more so with a big population of fishers
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 2:04:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 7:20:14 AM EDT
[#20]
They have been in Richland County for a long time, long before this photo
https://photos.app.goo.gl/z5uZMkviYW8uEnZcA
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 11:17:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NotIssued] [#21]
Clark County a few months ago. Not sure what it is, maybe bobcat?Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:34:51 AM EDT
[#22]
I had one on a trail cam last year in Iowa County
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 8:14:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Righteous] [#23]
Originally Posted By Malbec:
I had one on a trail cam last year in Iowa County
View Quote

There is a study going on in Iowa County near Blackhawk Lake. A local had photos of a collared bobcat. The guy was at Wal-Mart in Dodgeville, Spring of 2022, I was still in my turkey hunting gear, he and I talked for 20 minutes.

Blackhawk Lake has changed dramatically. I turkey hunted there for years, beginning in 1987. It is much different. Coyotes and apparently a decent number of bobcats as well. Plus, succession (by design) has taken over many of the fields that were my go to spots.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:09:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By JeremyB99:
They have been in Richland County for a long time, long before this photo
https://photos.app.goo.gl/z5uZMkviYW8uEnZcA
View Quote

I can testify to that
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:12:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Clarinath:

View Quote

we're talking back in the 60's

you should have seen the cars coming back through Marshfield heading down Hwy13 Thanksgiving weekend.
Bears and wolves over the hood...not uncommon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top