Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2024 9:00:15 AM EDT
Last Oct I did a backpacking/squirrel hunting trip out there.  Was the first time there, just scouted via google maps and picked an area.  

Huge property and it’s pretty neat you can backpack camp.  Anyway, I went for 2 nights around the North Settlement and Shale Rd area.  

Did not see a single squirrel nor evidence of a squirrel’s existence. Encountered deer, porcupine and all night was lulled to sleep by howling coyotes and owls.  

Anyway, it’s a huge properly and will take many years exploring it.  Is it worth the effort to squirrel hunt here?  Any locals knowledgeable with the property that could give recommendations?
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 9:05:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 2:39:20 PM EDT
[#2]
spent many years hunting squirrels.
Small private woodlots>large public lands.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:44:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DirtyDirk:
spent many years hunting squirrels.
Small private woodlots>large public lands.
View Quote

Yeah, not arguing with that, but this is what I have to work with.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:20:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to work with a guy from Winona, MN. who was an enthusiastic squirrel hunter. He would hunt in the "Richard J. Dorer Memorial" state forest. He told me that some years back, the hnting pressure from the newly arrived Hmong
hunters was so intense the squirrel population never recovered.
Gary
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:37:12 PM EDT
[#5]
All you'd have to do is convince them that coyotes are good eatin' and that would take care of that problem.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 8:33:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By jack_pine_savage:
I used to work with a guy from Winona, MN. who was an enthusiastic squirrel hunter. He would hunt in the "Richard J. Dorer Memorial" state forest. He told me that some years back, the hnting pressure from the newly arrived Hmong
hunters was so intense the squirrel population never recovered.
Gary
View Quote

quite a few Hmong around here. they shoot and eat chipmunks and red squirrels. Pretty much anything that moves.

Squirrels breed 3 times a year and if left alone they will repopulate in 2-3 years. Unless they are never left alone to recover.

Its not just the Hmong tho, squirrel hunting in public land has always been a popular pastime in the fall.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 12:10:02 AM EDT
[#7]
My old dirt bike stomping grounds
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 9:13:52 AM EDT
[#8]
If you work your way over towards Potter and O, find public land close to woods and meadows sporting clays/ pheasant farm. I used to turkey and squirrel hunt in that area.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 5:38:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Wait til all the 13m immigrants start hunting.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 11:25:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Chipper44mag:
View Quote

and turn to cannibalism
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 12:38:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Chipper44mag:
View Quote

Just remember that our recent "migrant" arrivals come from third world sh!tholes where game laws and bag limits either don't exist or are rarely enforced and there is a real possibility of excessive over harvesting of wild game and fish.
Gary
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 1:26:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By jack_pine_savage:

Just remember that our recent "migrant" arrivals come from third world sh!tholes where game laws and bag limits either don't exist or are rarely enforced and there is a real possibility of excessive over harvesting of wild game and fish.
Gary
View Quote

If you lived in Wausau back in the old days and remember all the critters that used to live in the parks...including ducks and geese...
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:01:47 AM EDT
[#13]
I've backpacked it.
I was thinking I need to go back when I was in the area a few weeks ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top