Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2021 9:12:32 PM EDT
Any advice on Big Bend?

I have a 4x4 vehicle with high clearance and a Roof Tent. Was going to go in mid Nov.

From what I’ve gathered so far the reservations are for non primitive camping sites so I just need a permit?

I also planned on doing the same off the beaten path camping at the State Park. Three days in each Park is what I’m planning.

I couldn’t find any specifics about primitive car camping in the State Park.

Anyone have any advice or insight?
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:36:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Any advice on Big Bend?

I have a 4x4 vehicle with high clearance and a Roof Tent. Was going to go in mid Nov.

From what I've gathered so far the reservations are for non primitive camping sites so I just need a permit?

I also planned on doing the same off the beaten path camping at the State Park. Three days in each Park is what I'm planning.

I couldn't find any specifics about primitive car camping in the State Park.

View Quote
We just got back. I don't know much about the State Park other than Guale is the primo campsite. For backcountry car sites in the NP, you can't reserve in advance. You have to show up in person. Mid Nov mid week you should have plenty of options. We stayed at Loop 1 camp. Talley camps look nice also. Right on the Rio Grande.

if you do Black Gap road, budget a couple of hours one way.

here's our thread

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/3-Texan-Arfcommers-make-a-Big-Bend-pilgrimage-pic-thread-/5-2486733/

@SeanTX
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 10:26:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Any advice on Big Bend?

From what I’ve gathered so far the reservations are for non primitive camping sites so I just need a permit?

I also planned on doing the same off the beaten path camping at the State Park. Three days in each Park is what I’m planning.

I couldn’t find any specifics about primitive car camping in the State Park.

View Quote

You can make reservations at BBSP.

https://texasstateparks.reserveamerica.com/camping/big-bend-ranch-state-park/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=TX&parkId=1200013#sr_a

Guale 2 is the one with the view. It is also 2 hours in last time I was there. So you are kinda locked in to that area whne there. I would split between there and inside the Solitario.

BBRSP is primitive, be prepared - no cell, no repeaters, nobody is coming.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 12:46:49 AM EDT
[#3]
It’s going to be a solo vehicle.

Any experience with the 4x4 roads in either park? I have a 4Runner OR with stock suspension, upgraded Cooper AT3s, +Spare (Matching Spare).

The basic recovery equipment I was going to bring along is:

Hi lift jack
Max traxx (2)
Two recovery straps
Air compressor
Tire plugs
Tool kit /lug wrench

Additionally, spare fuel, water, plenty of food.

The roads don’t seem too challenging.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 2:31:18 AM EDT
[#4]
small investment, but an IR beacon is a useful tool in the toolbox in these areas.

IF something were to happen, air assets are in the area and often assist in search and rescues.

If you need a place to crash, let me know. I have a home there in Terlingua.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 8:00:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's going to be a solo vehicle.

Any experience with the 4x4 roads in either park? I have a 4Runner OR with stock suspension, upgraded Cooper AT3s, +Spare (Matching Spare).

The basic recovery equipment I was going to bring along is:

Hi lift jack
Max traxx (2)
Two recovery straps
Air compressor
Tire plugs
Tool kit /lug wrench

Additionally, spare fuel, water, plenty of food.

The roads don't seem too challenging.
View Quote
In the NP, we did Black Gap and all of the River Road West to Santa Elena.  Slow but not challenging.  Those are considered the roads most in need of 4x4/high clearance.  Might be a different story if recent rain, lots of swales and draw crossings.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 8:01:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
small investment, but an IR beacon is a useful tool in the toolbox in these areas.

IF something were to happen, air assets are in the area and often assist in search and rescues.

If you need a place to crash, let me know. I have a home there in Terlingua.
View Quote

Thanks I’ll PM you.

I do plan on bringing my Nods and Helmet. It has a Helstar on it. That’s a pretty damn good IR beacon. ??
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 9:24:29 AM EDT
[#7]
O.S.T. - Plan to go in spring with kids.  Of interest!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 9:41:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
O.S.T. - Plan to go in spring with kids.  Of interest!

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote
Kids might like the hot spring down near Boquillas.  Short walk in from the parking lot.  105 degree water right on the bank of the Rio Grande.

Boquillas Canyon trail is a little up and down, but you have a good chance of being close up with trans-national free range burros and horses.

Depending on the age of the kids, Santa Elena trail is easy and short with magnificent views.  You'll probably have to wade through the Rio Grande (knee deep tops) a bit to get to the trail.  

In the basin, the Window is a primo view.  Easy going down to it.  A little bit of cardio coming back up.  South Rim is magnificent, but that's 10+ miles out and back, with lots of elevation.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 9:52:50 AM EDT
[#9]
looking into going to Guale 2 in a next few weeks wondering now bad the roads really are up to the campsite. Is there any cover or table out there at the campsite?
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 10:17:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
looking into going to Guale 2 in a next few weeks wondering now bad the roads really are up to the campsite. Is there any cover or table out there at the campsite?
View Quote
I googled Guale 2 and looks like no cover but there does appear to be a permanent picnic table.  At least there was in 2018-2019.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 11:49:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I took a SPOT gen 4 in case of emergencies and to check in with the wife. Worked great. Something tells me that if you had an actual emergency, someone MAY show up between 72 hours to 2 months.

Roads are not a big deal. You'll be fine with your rig. Some of the trails may give you pinstripes - not many, just watch for that. As notorious as Black Gap's reputation, there is only one shelf that may be a challenge. Many are sand but it's packed. Lots of washboard, not difficult but annoying.

They give you a paper map when you register. It was handy to have. The miles between the different roads are marked on the map. You might see that you take the 2nd turn on your right, but that is actually 30 miles.  

The BB parks are gigantic. Once you're south of I-10 make sure you get gas and have a reserve. There is fuel, ice, water and snack foods in Terlingua at the west gate and Panther Junction at the park headquarters.

Chisos Basin is an improved campsite but spaces are close together. Even if you don't camp there it's still worth a drive by. You will have cell service here. Back country camping is where it's at but Chisos was good to do once.

River Road between Lajitas and Presidio (RR170). It is paved. It's 55 miles one way and only a couple of turn off points. This road and views are on the same level as PCH in CA.  Do it if time permits. If time doesn't permit then do it anyway.

Everything you will see is incredible. It's a really beautiful part of our country. If you are a photographer, get ready.

ETA: The star watching party at McDonald Observatory is great. If you can catch it with a no or late rising moon it's even better.
https://mcdonaldobservatory.org/visitors/programs/evening-programs

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#12]
The camera was level when I took this picture. Somewhere between Lajitas and Presidio.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 12:49:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Gas up and only drive on the top half of your tank. There are a couple gas stations inside the National Park to fuel. Make sure your spare is in great shape.

I always take a spare engine air filter and cabin air filter for when I'm finished and leaving the park. I change them out. Lots of dust builds in those filters.

Cell phone service is unreliable. There are SAR repeaters inside the national park which you should program into a HAM radio.

The 4x4 roads are in good shape and doable in a 4x2 pickup with higher clearance if the weather is dry.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 3:49:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thee is no cover but there is a picnic table and a grill. The road in does not really require a 4x4, just high clearance. It is a rock trail, the biggest risk is a punctured tire. It is often overgrown, expect pinstripes (we brought a hedge trimmer). But the view is worth it:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 3:51:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Big Bend National Park 2017
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 5:47:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thee is no cover but there is a picnic table and a grill.
View Quote

Good point. We brought an easy up and it was needed.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 12:58:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Went in April to BBRSP and the National park. Guale 2 was booked so we stayed at Pila Montoya 3, nice views, covered picnic area, outhouse, and good location to explore the park from.

Attachment Attached File

Definitely do the River Road drive along the Rio

Attachment Attached File

Walk Closed Canyon Trail along the way. Lost Mine trail is another good hike to do in the Chisos

Attachment Attached File

Beautiful country
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 12:32:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Call Big David
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 12:06:19 AM EDT
[#19]
We are kicking around the idea of going in Dec.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 12:34:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
We are kicking around the idea of going in Dec.
View Quote

That's the best time to go, though the Christmas break can be hectic for finding campsites/lodging.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 9:42:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Christmas through early March is the best time to go. Nice weather. You need to make lodging reservations for that time of year well in advance.

Link Posted: 10/27/2021 11:12:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Update:

Ended up getting a BigCountry4x4 tent from Rugged Bound Supply Co. in Fulshear. Talked to the owner. Great guy. Basically BigCountry4x4 makes overland equipment and are based in South Africa. Rugged Bound is their importer/distributer in the US now. Awesome overbuilt equipment. This thing is a tank and looks like it will last forever.

My only hang up now with going with the Roof Top Tent option is storage. I wouldn't recommend one if you dont have room to store it when youre not using it. Im in the process of making a hoist in my garage/shop.

T-Minus two weeks until I head to Big Bend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top