Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2019 2:36:51 PM EDT
Commonwealth of Kentucky
Governor's Office
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Media Contact: Nicole Burton
502-564-2611
[email protected]

Gov. Bevin Wins Landmark Supreme Court Case Reaffirming Executive Reorganization Power

FRANKFORT, Ky. (June 13, 2019) – Today, the Supreme Court ruled unanimously in favor of Gov. Matt Bevin’s clear executive power to reorganize boards and commissions for the benefit of Kentuckians, a power that Kentucky Governors have exercised for decades. Attorney General Andy Beshear has spent much of the last three and a half years pursuing politically motived lawsuits to challenge this otherwise unquestioned power used by his father over 100 times and by AG Beshear’s own office every single year that he has been Attorney General.

Gov. Bevin properly used the reorganization power to advance the efficiency of public education in the Commonwealth, which the Court affirmed was consistent with the Constitution’s mandate of “promot[ing] Kentucky’s system of common schools.” The Supreme Court completely and finally rejected the arguments that AG Beshear has parroted in each of his repeated legal challenges to other reorganizations, including the reorganization of the University of Louisville board and the board of the Kentucky Retirement Systems.

In response to the 7-0 ruling, Gov. Bevin issued the following statement:

“The Supreme Court’s decision reveals what a shameful waste of taxpayer resources the Attorney General’s three and a half years of politically motivated lawsuits have been. The Court forcefully rejected every single one of Andy’s arguments, finding that he ‘ignored’ the constitution and that his positions ‘contradict the plain and explicit text’ of Kentucky law. After such a stinging defeat, the self-proclaimed ‘people’s lawyer’ should, for once, think about actually helping the people of Kentucky instead of suing them.”

To download a copy of today's Supreme Court ruling, click here.

###
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 4:25:14 PM EDT
[#1]
7-0 decision! What punch in the gut for Beshear.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 4:56:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I am glad to see this posted, but the title should be "Win for the Rule of Law". The Supreme Court ruled that the Ky. constitution means what it says. That is a win for all of us. Beshear, and dems. in general, are always trying to twist the law into saying something it was never meant to say. Thankfully not even one of our Supreme Court Justices was going for it, this time.

I wonder what this foolishness cost the taxpayers of Ky.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 12:05:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am glad to see this posted, but the title should be "Win for the Rule of Law".
View Quote
I humbly receive this correction...

(I knew nothing about it, just got it in my email and read it once)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top