Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2021 11:48:45 PM EDT
Hey fellow Colorado.   Headed to your state to go ski spring break.  Whats the best Ski resort for good snow, and good prices.  Usually go to Crested Butte, but thinking about Winter Park or Vail/Beaver Creek or Aspen/Snowmass.  Whats your recomendation? And what lodging do you recommend?  Airbnb, Hotel, etc.?  Thanks in advance.  

ETA: I know y'all have some mag limit for new manufactured mags or something.  If I fly in with a pistol, should I just bring 10 round mags or are standard capacity GTG?  Don't want them getting seized obviously.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 12:50:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Check snow reports  at multiple areas. It’s been kind of a funky snow season here this year. Of the places you listed I’ve only been to Crested Butte.
Fun town and if the snow is good it’s a great mountain.
When we go to CB we stay at Elevation Hotel and Spa. Pretty nice ski in ski out place. There’s also a fun little dive type bar near by but I don’t remember the name.

That said I typically go to Loveland. It is not a resort however so no lodging.

ETA as far as mags go the limit is 15. If flying with them that’s probably what I would do.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:04:16 PM EDT
[#2]
If there's a way to do a last minute hotel/lift ticket reservation, you might want to chase the storms.  Good snow changes weekly.  Good prices?  Ouch.  No bargains skiing anymore, that I know of.  Maybe Wolf Creek or Monarch, but I'm not sure those are destination type resorts.  I like them, though.  Stay in Salida, ski Monarch or stay in Pagosa and ski Wolf Creek.  Smaller areas, but fun, nonetheless.  

Crested Butte kinda stinks without good snow, and that's my favorite town/ski area for sure.

Steamboat is always on my short list, but we were there a few weeks ago, and the predicted storms never materialized.  Wind shut down some of the lifts, too.  

I really like Aspen/Snowmass.  You could stay in Glenwood Springs to save some money.  Lots of VRBOs there and a nice town with hot springs.  Lift tickets are expensive, but you do have Aspen, Highlands, Butttermilk, and Snowmass to choose from.... which is nice.

We ski Winter Park a lot as it's close, easy to park, somewhat of a locals place.

I'm not a big fan of Summit County.  Maybe it's just the highway running through all those areas.  Plus, they are way down on snowfall this year.

I'm in the "Vail Sucks" camp.  

Telluride is a great town and ski area.  It's just a bit of a drive to get to it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:26:20 PM EDT
[#3]
A Basin is good now that they are off the epic pass and throttling tickets.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 1:51:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Might also look at Wolf Creek on Wolf Creek Pass.  No lodging on the mountain though.  You have to stay in Pagosa Springs or South Fork.  It is smaller, but they have a huge technical side.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 8:15:43 AM EDT
[#5]
We are staying in Breckenridge starting Sunday the 8th.  My daughter turned 10 and has never seen a mountain.

See y’all there!

Link Posted: 3/6/2021 9:36:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I was at Breck yesterday, it was skiing nicely. Perfect day for skiing. Bluebird skies 40 degrees and sunny with a light breeze. It snowed the night before.

Are you looking to ski in the next month? I assume you don't have a pass?  What type of terrain do you like to ski?  You won't find a good deal on lift tickets but I find the Vail on a powder day, and the double backs up top at Breck on a blue sky day  pretty hard to beat.  CB is only good if they are having a good snow year and all of their steep terrain open, but if it is, it's excellent.

If you want a good deal on lift tickets check liftopia especially for week days, sometimes it has good deals to smaller hills especially midweek.  This year is kind of odd with reduced capacity due to covid, so good deals may be less prevalent. A basin is probably your best deal (only on a sunny day) if you have to buy a ticket. They have great terrain, and their PPBLT and C at the black mountain lodge is outstanding. Maybe pair that with a day or two at Copper which has some awesome high speed groomers on the super bee lift and should be cheaper than one of the vail resorts.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:49:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Try Sunlight Mountain, just south of Glenwood Springs.  Good prices and you can stay in Glenwood Springs.

Sunlight Mountain
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 12:41:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try Sunlight Mountain, just south of Glenwood Springs.  Good prices and you can stay in Glenwood Springs.

Sunlight Mountain
View Quote

Yup fun mountain with some amazing trees to ride.

Fun fact I was born in Glenwood Spgs and worked at Sunlight Mtn.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 2:34:24 PM EDT
[#9]
If you are a vet or active duty military, look at the epic pass.  I pay $135 for the season and have unlimited access to Breck, Keystone, Vail, etc.

Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:39:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are a vet or active duty military, look at the epic pass.  I pay $135 for the season and have unlimited access to Breck, Keystone, Vail, etc.

View Quote

You have to buy it before the season. And if you didn't do a full 20 years they still give you a hundred or two off, but it's around $500 for regular vets (vs $650 for the epic local pass with restrictions), I was only in for 6 years, but my father in law did 20 so he gets the $135 pass.  Even if you aren't vet, if you're a skier and going to do 7+ days a year some version of the Epic Pass out Ikon pass is the way to go, but you have to buy them before the season starts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top