Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2018 8:08:08 PM EDT
Want to get into kayaking for fishing purposes. To get further into the flats and mangroves.

Something like Hobie is out of the question. I want something that's a sit on top, with a decent seat and stable as hell and somewhat affordable. Sub $1000. I've seen a few guys on the hometown in kayaks so hopefully there's a few suggestions out there.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 10:23:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Check out Natives and Wilderness
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check out Natives and Wilderness
View Quote
You cant go wrong with either one. Having said that, try BEFORE you buy. This is very important, some fit, some dont. My wife tried a Hobie and could only do big clockwise donuts. Me, I found out molded foot rests rub the crap out of my ankles. Ultimately, we settled on Liquid Logic(Native now) 12' Manta Rays. If I did it again, I would have gotten a 14'.

If you are near Tampa, check out Bill Jackson's shop, they do demos every Saturday . If not there, check out your local kcanoe and kayak shop, some let you rent first.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 8:31:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Definitely try before you buy. Narrow hulls will be faster but less stable. I found a used cobra fish and dive for both fishing and beach diving out of for pretty cheap. Its a wider hull and is kind of a slug in the water but is stable. I found I dont fish it much as I intended to. Sitting down and fishing is just wierd and awkward to me. cant see like when elevated and seated mobility trying to manage gear is a pain so I keep it minimal. Try sitting in your yard legs extended and making some casts. I havent shopped in a while but the elevated seats looked more comfortable.  More often than not I rope it off to me and wade just to stand up a bit.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 10:17:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I just goT a nucanoe frontier 12. I have taken it out a couple times and have been very impressed. It’s not fast but super stable, able to easily take a motor, has a raised seating position, and can accommodate two people if necessary. The kayak is extremely configurable in terms of number of seats, accessories, power, etc.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 11:22:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Here you go. Be sure to watch video

ASCEND
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Had a few local buddies suggest the vibe seaghost 130. Looks nice as hell and stable. Seems like no people nearby sell those so all I know is what I've read.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 7:42:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Highly recommend trying before buying. Might take a while to find the right one, but it's worth it.

I'm very happy with my Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140. Cuts through the water with ease but also stable enough that I have no problem sitting side-saddle and dropping my feet into the water when I want to change positions (plus it's easier to access the beer cooler ).
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 11:50:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Wife and I had a couple Heritage Redfish 12s a while back after going to to a demo day where we got to try out a lot of kayaks.  Works great for fishing and is a good balance of speed and stability.  One big factor to look at is how will you be transporting your kayak(s)?  In the bed of a truck you can go big, but if on the roof of a SUV you'd don't want too big...they're heavy, especially after you've been paddling your ass off all day.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 9:43:52 PM EDT
[#9]
This is relative to my interest. My son is looking for a kayak as well
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 9:09:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Highly recommend trying before buying. Might take a while to find the right one, but it's worth it.

I'm very happy with my Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140. Cuts through the water with ease but also stable enough that I have no problem sitting side-saddle and dropping my feet into the water when I want to change positions (plus it's easier to access the beer cooler ).
View Quote
160i w/rudder here

love it

you need to try everything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top