[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:09:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Close!

Uptown in liberty is better.

Edit:

I will argue to the death that the Youngstown area has some of the best pizza in America. Even the middle of no where areas around Youngstown have good pizza.  G’s pizzerias, Mary’s, whistle stop,  etc.

Over all, you can’t go wrong. Inner circle, Belleria, cornersburg, wedgewood, uptown, sunrise inn, etc. etc.  are all really really good pizza.  Most of the chain pizza places have been run out of business.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:52:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Luigi's in Akron
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:29:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Luigi's in Akron
View Quote

10 mins from my house and haven't been there in years.  I have friends that raved about that place.  Finally went there and was extremely disappointed.

The pizza was nothing special whatsoever, and I remember getting a salad that was a half-pound of iceberg, a couple of tomatoes, a couple of cucumbers, and 3 lbs of cheese.......

Not a fan.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:52:28 PM EDT
[#8]
We dig Gioninos.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:07:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Close!

Edit:

I will argue to the death that the Youngstown area has some of the best pizza in America. Even the middle of no where areas around Youngstown have good pizza.  G’s pizzerias, Mary’s, whistle stop,  etc.

Over all, you can’t go wrong. Inner circle, Belleria, cornersburg, wedgewood, uptown, sunrise inn, etc. etc.  are all really really good pizza.  Most of the chain pizza places have been run out of business.
View Quote

Are you going to make me go to friggin Yompton to test your theory??

What are your thoughts on the hot dog shop??  (I think that may be in Warren?)

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:09:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Giovanni's Fairborn
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:13:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Forgot to mention Gino's in Akron on Copley Rd.  I have never been, however, I have a friend that is a pizza-holic.  He has literally traveled the world eating pizza.  He swears that Gino's is in the top 3 pizzas he has EVER eaten anywhere.  I guess the owners brought the recipe with them from Italy and it is amazing.

Cash only.  Carryout only.   A small hole in the wall spot in the ghetto.  But it is supposed to be amazing.

Anyone had their food????????
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:18:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Forgot to mention Gino's in Akron on Copley Rd.  I have never been, however, I have a friend that is a pizza-holic.  He has literally traveled the world eating pizza.  He swears that Gino's is in the top 3 pizzas he has EVER eaten anywhere.  I guess the owners brought the recipe with them from Italy and it is amazing.

Cash only.  Carryout only.   A small hole in the wall spot in the ghetto.  But it is supposed to be amazing.

Anyone had their food????????
View Quote
I don't prefer thick crust, but this looks pretty good. The cheese/pep grease/crust looks like it is cooked perfectly.

QUIT RECOMMNDING PIZZA WITHOUT AT LEAST A PICTURE!!!  
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:30:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

10 mins from my house and haven't been there in years.  I have friends that raved about that place.  Finally went there and was extremely disappointed.

The pizza was nothing special whatsoever, and I remember getting a salad that was a half-pound of iceberg, a couple of tomatoes, a couple of cucumbers, and 3 lbs of cheese.......

Not a fan.
View Quote

Family Guy - Every Salad in Any Pizza Place

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Wedgewood Pizza in Austintown.

Original Everything pizza is fantastic.

If you go to Austintown Wedgwood and
want something you've probably never had, and it's amazing in terms of flavor? - Order a white pizza with broccoli and potato.  My sister came up with the idea to try both one night when we were in high school in the early 90s.  I thought it was going to be disgusting....until I took a bite.  

Hmmm, might have to take a couple hours round trip to Y-town.  Thread is making me hungry.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:18:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Congin’s in Chardon.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:41:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Hounddogs Pizza in Columbus is pretty good
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:07:59 AM EDT
[#17]
NW ohio isn't getting any love.

Homeslice in downtown Toledo is always solid.
Zaza's in Toledo is always supose to be good to.

Carmine's in Defiance, was by far the best and most authentic New York style in the area. Sadly for you guys he retired and closed up when the covid shut down happen.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:38:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Too many to list -

Another vote for Angelos.  I also grew up in Lakewood, and it is a staple.  However, after the RNC, I may need to wait about 5 more years before I eat it again.  I have never seen so much Angelos pizza in my life....

Danny Boys (any of their locations)

Crust is pretty good.  Tremont location seems to be better than the downtown one. (that also have one of the best sandwiches I have EVER had)

The Map Room in downtown Cleveland has good pizza.

I have never been, but someone mentioned Edisons. That is supposed to be awesome.

Mama Santos in Little Italy was amazing the few times I had it, but that was years ago.

For chains, Deweys and Upper crust are hard to beat.

Surprisingly Kalahari's house pizza is pretty darn good, but super friggin expensive "resort pricing" keeps me away from it.

I am sure there are plenty more that I am forgetting.

ETA - Someone mentioned the city of Youngstown.  There is a guy on here whose screen name escapes me.  I think he has a lab swimming with an orange bumper for his avatar?  He claims the Youngstown area has some amazing pizza??  I think Youngstown is more depressing than the cancer ward, so I avoid it at all costs, but apparently, they have some good pizza out there??
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Too many to list -

Another vote for Angelos.  I also grew up in Lakewood, and it is a staple.  However, after the RNC, I may need to wait about 5 more years before I eat it again.  I have never seen so much Angelos pizza in my life....

Danny Boys (any of their locations)

Crust is pretty good.  Tremont location seems to be better than the downtown one. (that also have one of the best sandwiches I have EVER had)

The Map Room in downtown Cleveland has good pizza.

I have never been, but someone mentioned Edisons. That is supposed to be awesome.

Mama Santos in Little Italy was amazing the few times I had it, but that was years ago.

For chains, Deweys and Upper crust are hard to beat.

Surprisingly Kalahari's house pizza is pretty darn good, but super friggin expensive "resort pricing" keeps me away from it.

I am sure there are plenty more that I am forgetting.

ETA - Someone mentioned the city of Youngstown.  There is a guy on here whose screen name escapes me.  I think he has a lab swimming with an orange bumper for his avatar?  He claims the Youngstown area has some amazing pizza??  I think Youngstown is more depressing than the cancer ward, so I avoid it at all costs, but apparently, they have some good pizza out there??

I was stationed downtown for the RNC.  I, too, ate a LOT of Angelo's, with Jack Frost for desert.  I still eat it once in a while, though.

The thing with Edison's is that it can get pretty greasy.  If you get the pepperoni, they put a ton of it on, so it is dripping with grease.  They also put little single-serve cups of honey in the box, for dipping your crust it.  It is kind of weird, but I learned to like it.  I probably ate there once a month when I worked the west side.  Now I'm back out east, but we still get it on occasion.  They won't charge us, but it is relatively pricey (we still pay).  I think it is like 17 dollars for a large.  

Mama Santa's is still pretty good.  We go there once in a while.  Another spot that is kind of like Mama Santa's is Vincenza's in the Arcade on Prospect.  The only problem is that they close at 5 or 6.  The east-side Italian guys I work with love it.  I must admit that it is pretty good.

If you like Crust, you might want to check out Citizen Pie.  When I worked way out east, I would go to the one on Waterloo.  Again, they are pricey for what you get, but they have really good brick-oven pizza.  I haven't been to the one in Tremont, but I can't imagine it is too different from the one out east.

Quoted:
Congin’s in Chardon.

When I worked on the east side, there was a Congin's on the border of Euclid that we'd go to, sometimes.  It was one of the better places in the area, although that wasn't saying much.  They have pretty good calzones.  They're gutbusters, though, if you don't have a hollow leg like I do.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:27:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I was stationed downtown for the RNC.  I, too, ate a LOT of Angelo's, with Jack Frost for desert.  I still eat it once in a while, though.

The thing with Edison's is that it can get pretty greasy.  If you get the pepperoni, they put a ton of it on, so it is dripping with grease.  They also put little single-serve cups of honey in the box, for dipping your crust it.  It is kind of weird, but I learned to like it.  I probably ate there once a month when I worked the west side.  Now I'm back out east, but we still get it on occasion.  They won't charge us, but it is relatively pricey (we still pay).  I think it is like 17 dollars for a large.  

Mama Santa's is still pretty good.  We go there once in a while.  Another spot that is kind of like Mama Santa's is Vincenza's in the Arcade on Prospect.  The only problem is that they close at 5 or 6.  The east-side Italian guys I work with love it.  I must admit that it is pretty good.

If you like Crust, you might want to check out Citizen Pie.  When I worked way out east, I would go to the one on Waterloo.  Again, they are pricey for what you get, but they have really good brick-oven pizza.  I haven't been to the one in Tremont, but I can't imagine it is too different from the one out east.

When I worked on the east side, there was a Congin's on the border of Euclid that we'd go to, sometimes.  It was one of the better places in the area, although that wasn't saying much.  They have pretty good calzones.  They're gutbusters, though, if you don't have a hollow leg like I do.
View Quote

I grew up 6 or so blocks from Angelos, and had never seen so much until the week of the RNC. I think there were more slices of Angelos pizza than there were protestors....... That was honestly the last time I had it, and Im still burnt out.......

I have heard Citizen Pie is good. I will have to give it a shot.

I surprised Danny Boy's hasn't gotten more love in this thread.  Aside from their pizza being pretty damn good, all of their food has been well above average when I have eaten there.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:51:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Close!

Edit:

Jib Jab in Girard.

Also west side bowling’s pizza is extremely good.

Same with vintage estates. It’s more of a thin crust flat bread. But fantastic.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:58:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I haven't been there in years, but I always thought Tavanello's on Greenwich Rd between Wadsworth and Seville made really good pizza. They keep really strange hours though.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:20:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Has anyone had A Gild Pizza? Use to be in Akron but is now in Kent.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:31:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
NW ohio isn't getting any love.

Homeslice in downtown Toledo is always solid.
Zaza's in Toledo is always supose to be good to.

Carmine's in Defiance, was by far the best and most authentic New York style in the area. Sadly for you guys he retired and closed up when the covid shut down happen.
View Quote

Pizza Papalias in Toledo.

Pollyeyes in Bowling Green.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:12:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Wedgewood Pizza in Youngstown.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:53:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:53:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Already mentioned but Ohio Pie(try the pickle pizza).  Slice Above in Strongsville.  Samoskys in Valley City.  There's a little dive bar near me called the Roadside Inn that makes a damn good pizza.  Just southwest of Medina.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:42:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Troni’s Italian restaurant in Kettering (Dayton).  Their web photos aren’t worth a crap.  The pizza is phenomenal.  The baked ziti is superb as well...
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 4:58:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Favorite is La Rosa's. Since I live in Eastern Ohio, the closest I've found here is Pizza Express.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 6:38:51 PM EDT
[#29]
When I was a kid--CASSANO's for the win.

Now my local favorite in NW Ohio is the Village Idiot in Maumee.  It is addictive!
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:07:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Already mentioned but Ohio Pie(try the pickle pizza).  Slice Above in Strongsville.  Samoskys in Valley City.  There's a little dive bar near me called the Roadside Inn that makes a damn good pizza.  Just southwest of Medina.
View Quote
Roadside Inn at the corner of 162 and 42 in Lafayette?
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 6:39:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 12:09:47 PM EDT
[#32]
What's the deal with all of this round pizza? Good old Steubenville square pizza. DiCarlos in downtown Steubenville, Jax in Richmond, sometimes Iggy's in Toronto. Iggy's is hit and miss, depends on who is cooking. But I've never had a bad slice from DiCarlos or Jax.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:58:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:34:21 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't eat a lot of pizza anymore, but Enrico's on Frantz Rd in Dublin was my favorite.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 11:18:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What's the deal with all of this round pizza? Good old Steubenville square pizza. DiCarlos in downtown Steubenville, Jax in Richmond, sometimes Iggy's in Toronto. Iggy's is hit and miss, depends on who is cooking. But I've never had a bad slice from DiCarlos or Jax.
View Quote

Giannamore's
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 12:03:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Goodfellas in Athens
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 6:51:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Giannamore's
View Quote

Never was a fan of Giannamore's sauce
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 10:37:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Didn't put a photo with my earlier suggestion.  Here's a video about it.  Damn funny, love the "secure online payment".
pics of pizza at 0:40sec, secure payment at 1:30
Bino's App
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 5:50:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Rubino's  in Bexley
View Quote

Gotta agree pretty damn good pie
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 5:50:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The Pizza House. Sinclair Rd Columbus
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/46582/Screenshot_20210222-192210_Maps-1837222.jpg

Yepper on this one too

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:15:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Not a fan.
View Quote

Pierre's pizza in probably the best in Akron, traditional NY Style.
Attachment Attached File

Pavanos in West Akron is good if you are looking for expensive, brick oven pizza
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 12:51:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Funny to see someone mention Krause in canton. I ate a lot of chicken and jojos from there growing up? But the pizza isn't my style.

For Columbus, I gotta say mikeys late night slice. Their mushroom pizza is my favorite "regular" pizza. First thing I ate when I got home from my last deployment.  My wife and I would eat their pizza a lot when we first started dating and would walk around bars, so it has some memories with it too.

I also really like pies and pints. Mainly their mushroom garlic pizza with grilled chicken added. But its not really comparable as its more of a fancy bread with toppings, and there is no traditional pizza sauce or cheese
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 10:13:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Off the pizza topic--first place I ate was the Original George's Coney Island in top of the hill--in the HILLTOP--Broad and Wilson....Everyone that took me out is gone now,,,and so is George's.....
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 1:05:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Off the pizza topic--first place I ate was the Original George's Coney Island in top of the hill--in the HILLTOP--Broad and Wilson....Everyone that took me out is gone now,,,and so is George's.....
View Quote
Getting old sucks.  Did you eat at Tommy's back then?
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 4:41:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Easily - Two Cities Pizza in Mason Ohio.  Try it and let me know if I am wrong.  You won't.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 5:02:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Yep Leisure--Tommy's was right across from my dorm for 2 years when I lived in Drackett.....They make a decent not great pie.  They used to run a "meal deal" lasagna, salad, and garlic bread(?) that we would eat when the dorm food was particularly bad...
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 1:48:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Now my local favorite in NW Ohio is the Village Idiot in Maumee.  It is addictive!
View Quote

I'm about to find out. Sitting in their dining room right now.

Smells great!

ETA - yeah Village Idiot is DAMN good!

Edit 2 - for picture

Link Posted: 3/9/2021 4:55:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm going to have to go with Cassano's too. still my go to in the Dayton area.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 8:31:49 PM EDT
[#49]
TEP--you should have honked--my office is the corner on the City building catty-cornered.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:09:53 PM EDT
[#50]
I've been watching this thread and am happy to see that LaRosa's out of Cincinnati has not been mentioned.  The only pizza worse than LaRosa's is that stuff they call pizza in St. Louis!  LaRosa's has a nice business, but it's bad pizza!
Page / 3
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top