Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2021 10:10:00 PM EDT
In town for the motogp

Educmacate this ca native on bbq spots.

Also I'm an ffl so whats a good gun store to check out.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:22:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Franklin's or LA BBQ for the top two spots, expect a wait.

I like Iron Works, nothing fancy and lunch crowds aren't that bad.

McBride's gun shop is a decent place to browse, although I haven't been since the covid craze started.

You can usually find a deal at GT Distributors, bigger shop geared more to police supply but they do sell to the public.

Elite Guns has lots off cool shit hanging on the walls but the owner is kinda weird.

Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:24:36 PM EDT
[#2]
LaBBQ (east Austin), Franklin's (east but near IH3), Stiles Switch (Northwest Austin), Terry Black's (Barton Springs Road), Black's (Guadalupe), Cooper's (downtown) those are some of my favorites in Austin.  Franklin's is difficult to get fed at.  Get there early, expect to wait in line.

Fancy places

County Line (Loop 360/2222 and SW Austin),  Salt Lick (Driftwood & Round Rock near Dell Diamond), Liberty BBQ (Round Rock)

Others...

Green Mesquite (Barton Springs Road), Blue Ribbon (Frost Tower), Iron Works BBQ (downtown), Stubb's BBQ (downtown), Slab BBQ (not really Texas style, more Memphis, pork BBQ)

"Fast food BBQ" chain places

Rudy's (multiple locations), Poke-E-Jo's, Smokey Mo's, Dickie's, Bill Miller (not a fan, but multiple locations)

I'm probably forgetting a few.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:30:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I like Stiles Switch quite a bit.  Franklins is always good, as it La BBQ.  I also like Opies in Spicewood, but that will be more of a drive.

Rudy's is pretty consistant as well.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 11:10:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Very familiar with gt.
But ill try to hit the other places. See if I can't find some stuff to shop back to the shop.

Keep it coming with the bbq suggestions. I should have time tomorrow or Sunday night to get fat
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 4:48:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
LaBBQ (east Austin), Franklin's (east but near IH3), Stiles Switch (Northwest Austin), Terry Black's (Barton Springs Road), Black's (Guadalupe)

Liberty BBQ (Round Rock)

View Quote

I'll add Micklethwait Craft Meats which is right around the corner from Franklin. Valentina's Tex Mex BBQ, Interstellar BBQ.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 7:35:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'll add Micklethwait Craft Meats which is right around the corner from Franklin. Valentina's Tex Mex BBQ, Interstellar BBQ.
View Quote

I used to get BBQ from there, but the last few times the bark on the brisket had a acrid taste to it like they didn't let the oak burn clean.  Two different occasions.  They also got REALLY political and started giving proceeds to group that funded lawyers during the huge migration push while Trump was in office.  Both left a sour taste in my mouth (literally and figuratively).  Haven't been back.  

Too many other great BBQ places to settle for inconsistent BBQ.

Link Posted: 10/1/2021 7:48:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I used to get BBQ from there, but the last few times the bark on the brisket had a acrid taste to it like they didn't let the oak burn clean.  Two different occasions.  They also got REALLY political and started giving proceeds to group that funded lawyers during the huge migration push while Trump was in office.  Both left a sour taste in my mouth (literally and figuratively).  Haven't been back.  

Too many other great BBQ places to settle for inconsistent BBQ.

View Quote

Had no idea about that, that sucks.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 9:56:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Iron Works is fantastic.

I’d say it’s almost on par with Franklins, without the 8 hour wait.

It’s just not THAT good IMO.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 12:11:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
LaBBQ (east Austin), Franklin's (east but near IH3), Stiles Switch (Northwest Austin), Terry Black's (Barton Springs Road), Black's (Guadalupe), Cooper's (downtown) those are some of my favorites in Austin.  Franklin's is difficult to get fed at.  Get there early, expect to wait in line.

Fancy places

County Line (Loop 360/2222 and SW Austin),  Salt Lick (Driftwood & Round Rock near Dell Diamond), Liberty BBQ (Round Rock)

Others...

Green Mesquite (Barton Springs Road), Blue Ribbon (Frost Tower), Iron Works BBQ (downtown), Stubb's BBQ (downtown), Slab BBQ (not really Texas style, more Memphis, pork BBQ)

"Fast food BBQ" chain places

Rudy's (multiple locations), Poke-E-Jo's, Smokey Mo's, Dickie's, Bill Miller (not a fan, but multiple locations)

I'm probably forgetting a few.
View Quote

Just posting to say ditto to all of the above although I haven’t eaten at Slab and Salt Lick should be part of the “others” list any more. Rudy’s is the best fast food BBQ IMO.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Agree with Rudy's is good and pretty consistent "fast food" BBQ. Would likely be considered very good to excellent outside of TX.  

If you have the time and ability I'd try to get out of Austin and get to Lockhart for Blacks BBQ at the original place. If only to get out of Austin.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 2:54:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Agree with Rudy's is good and pretty consistent "fast food" BBQ. Would likely be considered very good to excellent outside of TX.  

If you have the time and ability I'd try to get out of Austin and get to Lockhart for Blacks BBQ at the original place. If only to get out of Austin.
View Quote

The Rudy’s in the Austin area are pretty darn good, because the company that owns them has their act together. Rest of the Rudy’s are terrible.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 3:36:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The Rudy’s in the Austin area are pretty darn good, because the company that owns them has their act together. Rest of the Rudy’s are terrible.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eh. Terrible is pretty aggressive. I've had "not too good" at Rudy's on road trips before, but not terrible. Our local one is consistently acceptable. Maybe I've been lucky.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 5:03:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Rudy’s is trash. Except the OG one near Boerne.

The chains are almost akin to Bill Millers which are /vomit
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 9:56:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Apologize for sharing an uncouth opinion
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 8:22:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

If he was at the Moto GP, Blacks in Lockhart is my favorite and not to far away once you hit 85mph on the Tollway.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 12:22:51 AM EDT
[#16]
If you're budgeting time to wait in line at the Austin hotspots, then you've got 27 minutes to drive south to Hays County BBQ.

It's a legit local place that's been on the up-and-coming list for years, but doesn't ever seem to get the same foo-foo foodie channel fawning. But their beef ribs and brisket are a must do.

That said, Franklin's is a gotta-try place too. I always go at the end of the day. Sometimes they're sold out, sometimes you miss out and the door's already closed, but sometimes you just walk right in when the crowds are down and they load up your tray with whatever's left with no wait!

Link Posted: 10/4/2021 1:29:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 1:48:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

SoftwareJ....Ever eat at home?
View Quote

Yes...  I have one of those big Oklahoma Joe smokers that can do 4 briskets at a time!

Link Posted: 10/4/2021 1:57:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Man, I don't mean any offense but judging by most of the places on alot of these list's, alot of you boys ain't from round here

Green Mesquite Salt Lick ? hippie shit

I can't argue about Franklin's & LA BBQ

I'm not saying this is the best but some really good food and I will say the BEST chopped beef on the planet is @ Smokey J's Barbeque out by Lake Travis @ the corner of 620 & 2222.

Damn I'm hongry now
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Man, I don't mean any offense but judging by most of the places on alot of these list's, alot of you boys ain't from round here

I'm not saying this is the best but some really good food and I will say the BEST chopped beef on the planet is @ Smokey J's Barbeque out by Lake Travis @ the corner of 620 & 2222.

Damn I'm hongry now
View Quote

I've not had them before. If you're going to go off and say it's good, I'm going to have to try it now.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 4:05:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I've not had them before. If you're going to go off and say it's good, I'm going to have to try it now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn I'm hongry now

The oldest daughter & clan are supposed to come out this weekend, and seeins how they'll be driving right past there I'm going to request a sackfull of em

There goes my keto deal I'm so weak
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 7:07:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 7:33:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Damn I'm hongry now
View Quote

Notice that on my list Green Mesquite and Salt Lick are only on "others".  Not exactly a high recommendation.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 8:26:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

“You have the right to change your diet. Anything you eat can not and will not be used against you in a court of food critics. You have the right to a food attorney. If you cannot afford a food attorney, one will be provided for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The oldest daughter & clan are supposed to come out this weekend, and seeins how they'll be driving right past there I'm going to request a sackfull of em

“You have the right to change your diet. Anything you eat can not and will not be used against you in a court of food critics. You have the right to a food attorney. If you cannot afford a food attorney, one will be provided for you.

thank you sir, I will show this to Mrs Wolfy
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 8:29:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Notice that on my list Green Mesquite and Salt Lick are only on "others".  Not exactly a high recommendation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn I'm hongry now

I appolojize my good sir, I dyslexia'd it under your "fancy" list, I am wrong

Kinda, but not about Green Mesquite
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 9:45:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn I'm hongry now

I read it the same way.
Green Mesquite was super disappointing, and not very good at all.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 10:03:09 PM EDT
[#27]
I guess I shouldn't be so hard on all the joints in Austin, haven't eaten there since the mid-late 90's, I reckon they could've gotten better ??

Any of the others I haven't eaten at in over 10 years since moving to the woods.

Since I have a barn with 87 pits,grills & smokers and do all my own stuff, everything else is meh.

There's a place in town here that has a #2 by Texas Monthly banner out front and it is absolutely unfuckingeddible, I mean garbage, wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy. But I assume the grading in that commie rag is by some Kalifornian anyway.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 11:00:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Interstellar BBQ up near Cedar Park is a true hidden gem. Top-notch brisket, pork belly burnt ends, and sausage, they also run some great specials too.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 12:22:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Why hasn’t anyone suggested Valentinos?

It slaps.

Order a Real Deal Holyfield.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 11:06:33 AM EDT
[#30]
I hit the salt lick last weekend and it wasn't worth doing again. I guess I have to fight for parking at Terry Blacks.  The atmosphere at the salt lick is great but the food was HEB.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 11:41:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Cooper's (downtown Austin) is ridiculously overpriced.  I didn't think it was that great anyway, certainly not for the price.

I really liked Opie's in Spicewood but it's out there.  The Salt Lick is close by but sorry to hear it is disappointing nowadays.  I've never been unsatisfied (other than the sides) there but perhaps I'm not that picky.  I haven't tried many of the top tier places so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing.  I'm sure it's good but I refuse to wait a long time for food so I may never know.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure V will def not give you some side eye for this.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 3:25:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Damn I'm hongry now
View Quote

I've been going to that Smokey J's since the mid-80s.  I worked with the owner's wife at Lakeway for a number of years.  Sadly, she has long since passed.  The brisket has stayed consistently good.  Of course, sliced beef sandwiches are no longer $2.  Bring cash . . . they don't take credit cards.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 3:30:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Cooper's (downtown Austin) is ridiculously overpriced.  I didn't think it was that great anyway, certainly not for the price.

View Quote

The current price of beef is such that all brisket seems overpriced today.  I always stop with my buddies at Cooper's in Llano on the way either to or from our lease in Mason County (from Austin).  The last couple of times we've averaged about $50 each with no sides other than the free beans & bread.  Of course, we do like the massive pork chop in addition to the brisket.

With deer season starting soon, the lines will get long again . . . nothing worse than the summer, though.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 12:02:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The current price of beef is such that all brisket seems overpriced today.  I always stop with my buddies at Cooper's in Llano on the way either to or from our lease in Mason County (from Austin).  The last couple of times we've averaged about $50 each with no sides other than the free beans & bread.  Of course, we do like the massive pork chop in addition to the brisket.

With deer season starting soon, the lines will get long again . . . nothing worse than the summer, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was 3 or 4 years ago when I last went to Cooper's downtown.  It was expensive back then, everything including the sides.  Went there for lunch twice and it $30 each time for not a ton of food.  For me & my coworkers it's way more than we usually spend for a Friday lunch.  I guess they gotta pay for that prime downtown real estate.  One thing that sucked is (at least then) they don't weigh your cuts of meat as they are getting it for you so you don't know how much it is until you go to pay.  That's one aspect that I like about Rudy's, ask for X amount and you get it, and they will add more or take some away if you want.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 1:47:47 AM EDT
[#36]
I would say that of all types of foods, BBQ is the hardest one for a restaurant to do properly.

You can teach about anyone to fry, or bake in an oven.  But to use a proper offset smoker, for a long cook, is a labor of love.  Or a shitty job for 12 buck an hour, than someone isn't going to do correctly, and the food will taste bad.

Save for actual same family owned for 80 year places, where they cook everything on site (lots of places don't), I've given up on eating BBQ out, and just cook it at home for less money, and with results far far better.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 11:44:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Snow’s BBQ in Lexington.  Unfortunately, they only open on Saturdays. Tootsie is not getting any younger at 80+ years. Line starts before dawn until sold out.

At Franklins, do a curbside pick-up. Expect to be in line for a few hours if dine-in.

Blacks is good.

Rudy’s is pretty consistent for a chain joint.

Salt Lick is okay. Bison ribs is good though. Good for photo ops with the pit. More touristy.

Don’t discard the mom and pops, If you can explore. eg, Wingman smoke house in Marble Falls. Won’t be long before they get discovered.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 12:27:24 PM EDT
[#38]
House Park BBQ, 12th and Lamar. Opens for lunch, closes when they run out.

The gun shops will be a waste of time, really.  All of them are pretty much stripped bare of anything interesting.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 11:30:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I've been going to that Smokey J's since the mid-80s.  I worked with the owner's wife at Lakeway for a number of years.  Sadly, she has long since passed.  The brisket has stayed consistently good.  Of course, sliced beef sandwiches are no longer $2.  Bring cash . . . they don't take credit cards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn I'm hongry now

Right on & sorry to hear that.

In about an hour I will have a sack of chopped Beef brought before me and laid at my feet

And some jerky, I forgot they made Jerky
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 12:19:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I would say that of all types of foods, BBQ is the hardest one for a restaurant to do properly.

You can teach about anyone to fry, or bake in an oven.  But to use a proper offset smoker, for a long cook, is a labor of love.  Or a shitty job for 12 buck an hour, than someone isn't going to do correctly, and the food will taste bad.

Save for actual same family owned for 80 year places, where they cook everything on site (lots of places don't), I've given up on eating BBQ out, and just cook it at home for less money, and with results far far better.
View Quote

I find the opposite to be true. As long as your food is “decent” and the decor is nice, people will come.

Unless you’re a competition guy like myself and you’re really into perfection, you’re never going to be 100% with every joint either. Even some of my favorite bbq restaurants fuck it up. (Ex dry meat) no fault on them: it’s hard to cook 300 briskets where they’re all perfect.

But like I said earlier. Regular people don’t know the difference. As long as it’s halfway decent people will come,
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 1:31:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 2:45:13 PM EDT
[#42]

When my wife was pregnant with our son 29 years ago, she couldn't get enough of Smokey J's chopped beef.  She didn't much care for any chopped beef before that.  Sliced beef is still my favorite at Smokey J's.  Love the sliced ham as well.  Usually, it is one of each for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top