Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2018 12:26:53 PM EDT
Hello guys n gals of Florida.
Im seeking info on good companies that are legit and affordable for homeowners insurance.

Basically looking for recommendations on a company that is good and economical.

Thanks for any recommendation.

Link Posted: 4/9/2018 8:25:14 AM EDT
[#1]
If they are writing new policies right now, Amica has been a great company for me.  I've carried homeowners, renters and auto policies with them for 20 years now and I've had nothing but a great experience with them.  In my profession I work with insurance companies who are paying out claims and have always been pleased to see how Amica operates on the back end of claims where the customer doesn't always see what's going on.  This further reinforces my favorable view of them.  Check them out and see if they are taking on new policies.  I can't speak as to whether they are the cheapest but they are very good and we get what we pay for.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 7:45:53 PM EDT
[#2]
"company that is good and economical."

The rules say you only get one. I dropped my house insurance.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 10:48:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Not always true. I've been with a quality co here for about 8 years that is "economical".

What I mean by economical is not dirt cheap shit insurance and also not top name overly expensive either. Just a quality insurance co that is not overly expensive...
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:35:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I have been carrying USAA for years.  However, I have not had the need to file any claims, so I can't comment in that respect.  I carry home, auto, life, credit, etc... with them, so there are discounts.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 12:51:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have been carrying USAA for years.  However, I have not had the need to file any claims, so I can't comment in that respect.  I carry home, auto, life, credit, etc... with them, so there are discounts.
View Quote
Been a USAA customer for years, but after the hurricanes ten years ago, they wrote me a letter that they would maintain my current policy, but would not write another one if I moved within the state.  When I moved, I inquired, and they denied me a policy.   I have since also moved my auto insurance to another company.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 1:47:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Been a USAA customer for years, but after the hurricanes ten years ago, they wrote me a letter that they would maintain my current policy, but would not write another one if I moved within the state.  When I moved, I inquired, and they denied me a policy.   I have since also moved my auto insurance to another company.
View Quote
Who ya with now?
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 4:47:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not always true. I've been with a quality co here for about 8 years that is "economical".

What I mean by economical is not dirt cheap shit insurance and also not top name overly expensive either. Just a quality insurance co that is not overly expensive...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not in Florida. All insurance is expensive, in south florida anyway.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 10:18:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Does anyone know of a company writing policies on homes with EFIS in the Panhandle?  Or, anywhere in FL for that matter?
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 5:55:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I just got insurance through kin.com and it was pretty reasonable and easy to get.  Having a wind mitigation survey done dropped the price by about $1k a year.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 11:32:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just got insurance through kin.com and it was pretty reasonable and easy to get.  Having a wind mitigation survey done dropped the price by about $1k a year.
View Quote
I will look into them. I have a 4 point report as well as a wind mitigation report.

Thank you @Aikibiker
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 5:03:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I have UPC insurance.  Wind mitigation knocked $1,447.00 off the premium.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Insurance in Florida:

• Not going to go bankrupt after a hurricane

• Good on non-hurricane claims

• Cheap

Pick one.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 12:18:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Who ya with now?
View Quote
I'm using Westwood Ins. Agency, underwritten by ASI.  so far so good.  very attentive, but I haven't had to make any claims yet.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 10:13:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
USAA is not writing new policies in FL.  They will happily refer you to an affiliated insurance company.  When you call, Bob will be happy to do the needful.  I went with Allstate after talking with neighbors who have been here for 10+ years.  Before that I was with USAA for 26 years.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 10:12:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

USAA is not writing new policies in FL.  They will happily refer you to an affiliated insurance company.  When you call, Bob will be happy to do the needful.  I went with Allstate after talking with neighbors who have been here for 10+ years.  Before that I was with USAA for 26 years.
View Quote
Good to know...I called recently about building an addition and all they said was that they would evaluate based upon changes and adjust coverage.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 6:49:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I use Universal Property and Casualty, went to an Independent place a friend's Dad owns, that is who they all use, and they never had an issue with a pay out, price is good too for good coverage. Had State Farm before that, horrible rates, and the lady who owned the office never made any effort (I should have educated myself) to get my rates down, I was paying more than I could have been.

SF all of a sudden stopped giving discounts for alarm systems and having auto and property with them, I got a bit pissed at that.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 1:38:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Insurance in Florida:

• Not going to go bankrupt after a hurricane

• Good on non-hurricane claims

• Cheap

Pick one.
View Quote
I pick option two and I'll have a Coke
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 1:12:55 PM EDT
[#18]
You won't find out for sure til you have a claim !
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 6:53:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Have UPC now and been happy with their rates.  Had ASI in the past and they started off cheap but raised my valuation 10+% every year (they reset it once per my request but wouldn't do it again).  They kept raising the value even when home values were dropping so they had to go.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 9:13:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Have UPC now and been happy with their rates.  Had ASI in the past and they started off cheap but raised my valuation 10+% every year (they reset it once per my request but wouldn't do it again).  They kept raising the value even when home values were dropping so they had to go.
View Quote
Interesting.  they just raised my rates around 10%.  Time to start shopping.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 1:38:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
When home values were dropping and their valuation kept increasing I asked them to just leave the home value alone.  I was told they're using a market value so I offered to sell them my home at 10% under their "market value".  I go through an independent agency now and my rates have only gone up a small amt each year...$30 this year.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 11:30:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm using Westwood Ins. Agency, underwritten by ASI.  so far so good.  very attentive, but I haven't had to make any claims yet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who ya with now?
I also have my Condo Insurance with ASI
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 6:00:23 PM EDT
[#23]
I've had Florida Families for 15 years. Not expensive, but I have never had a claim.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 12:52:57 PM EDT
[#24]
I bought a home in Naples in December 2016 and was steered to Frontline Insurance by an independent agent.  My insurance company up North (I know members of the Board of Directors, corporate officers, etc.) would not write new insurance in Florida no matter how much I begged.  A friend did have a policy with that company but had a 10% hurricane deductible on a $1.2 million home.  He got hit but was essentially self-insured.  He's since dropped them down here.

My claim came in at about $60K with a $6.5K deductible.  They paid me $53.5K with a very simple claims process.  My 20 year old tile roof was finally removed last week and I'm waiting for the roofers to return to install a new metal roof.  My roofer tells me that I'll qualify for 3 new wind mitigation discounts over and above what I had already qualified for in the attic.

Frontline has been very good to me.  Their office has been a little clumsy at times with unintended letters being sent, etc., but the handling of the claim was first class.  I'm staying with them!
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:21:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I use Universal Property and Casualty, went to an Independent place a friend's Dad owns, that is who they all use, and they never had an issue with a pay out, price is good too for good coverage. Had State Farm before that, horrible rates, and the lady who owned the office never made any effort (I should have educated myself) to get my rates down, I was paying more than I could have been.

SF all of a sudden stopped giving discounts for alarm systems and having auto and property with them, I got a bit pissed at that.
View Quote
We had universal. No complaints really we just found a better policy with better coverage for a tad less with Heritage. Had to make a claim recently and it wasn't too painful.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 11:41:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well, we did get hit by a hurricane, they will usually do it. Suprised it’s only 10%
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 4:40:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Is Florida Farm Bureau a good stand up company in y'alls opinion? Im waiting on a quote from those guys for auto and homeowners.
As stated in my OP I want a company that is not overly expense but I don't want a bunch of run around if I need to file a claim, especially a hurricane damage claim...

Please let me know thoughts on this company.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:22:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Well FFB isn't writing in my neighborhood but has a company that will...not going with em though.

I've read reviews on all companies mention here and the big ones not mentioned and it seems everyone of them has horrible reviews and a bunch of good ones too. The only one that doesn't is kin but I assume that's because their newer. What a pain it is trying to choose a company.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 2:39:08 PM EDT
[#29]
I use Travelers Insurance. They offer discounts through my employer. I have had them for 15 years. No claims. They are reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 3:05:29 PM EDT
[#30]
FYI, regarding USAA, I spoke with a rep this morning and they ARE writing new policies in Florida.

I just quoted our house with USAA, as we had to switch to Citizens 7 years ago when we moved.  (Had USAA, and they wouldn't cover our new house).  This is in Coral Springs/Broward.

The rep said they've just recently started writing policies in certain areas of Florida, and not all would be eligible for Wind Coverage.  The quote I got was for everything, including Wind.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:31:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
My insurance company just raised my rates again, also about 10% and 10% last year as well I am in St Augustine and have St. John's Ins Co. not sure who it's underwritten by but it's now time to shop.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:00:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Its not the best Insurance company you seek, its the Best Agent.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:00:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Its not the best Insurance company you seek, its the Best Agent.
View Quote
I loathe insurance companies and agents.
Dialed in now for what it's worth but what a hassle it is getting ins in Florida!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top