Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2024 10:39:46 AM EDT
Traveled to Galveston yesterday....did the drydock tour.  This is my second drydock tour......and much work has been completed.
The ship.....should be placed back in the water, after Feb 2024.
And will remain in the shipyard.....having topside and internal work done.
Extensive work.......replacing deck, bulkhead plates, electrical, coatings, upgrades, etc.

The Battleship Foundation has signed an agreement, for the ship to become a museum in Galveston.
She will be placed at Pier 21.  Plans include a shore side facility........offices, museum, meeting areas, etc.

All current information is posted at the Battleship Texas Foundation webpage.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/8/2024 12:35:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Good to hear about the progress.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 9:55:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SoftwareJanitor:
Good to hear about the progress.
View Quote

First Post Nails It!

I'll be glad to see the Texas restored and where she can draw a sizable crowd to support herself.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 10:51:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Pretty cool.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 11:12:58 AM EDT
[#4]
The Fat Electrician did a nice little youtube short on Old Texas, worth watching.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 1:43:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Good to hear.

Having it at Pier 21, adjacent to the Elissa ship, Oil & Gas Museum, the Mega Cruise Terminals, Old Town Galveston, etc. is really a good place for it.

Seawolf park is kinda out by its lonesome on the other side of Pelican Island, and not walkable for all the cruise traffic.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 3:34:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been watching a lot of the Battleship New Jersey stuff on youtube, I haven't gotten to watching the Texas stuff yet, but he does talk about it some. This book is coming out soon, I think I'll order a copy.

https://www.usni.org/press/books/battleship-texas
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 4:40:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah...  that's excellent news.   She's a fantastic old girl.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 5:26:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you OP 🙏

I’m subscribed to them on YT and haven’t seen an update in months.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 5:50:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Ming_The_Merciless:

I'll be glad to see the Texas restored and where she can draw a sizable crowd to support herself.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/15/2024 9:16:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Austin4130:
Good to hear.

Having it at Pier 21, adjacent to the Elissa ship, Oil & Gas Museum, the Mega Cruise Terminals, Old Town Galveston, etc. is really a good place for it.

Seawolf park is kinda out by its lonesome on the other side of Pelican Island, and not walkable for all the cruise traffic.
View Quote
dolphin tours around the battleship, a double draw to the pier.

Link Posted: 1/28/2024 2:16:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Great that it will be around for years to come.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 9:20:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Today...Jan 30th....drydock was partially lowered.
This was done to begin water tests on the repaired hull.
Pic from Galveston cam.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:13:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Glad to see it being repaired. I hope it can reach USS Alabama levels of tourism and repair.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 2:27:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Pretty girl!  God Bless Texas!  I'll see her again if I'm ever near Galveston.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 9:38:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Will she be more or less hurricane-proof at Pier 21? I know that's always a crap shoot but even the Alabama got tossed around a bit on her last one.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 11:56:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Gopher:
Will she be more or less hurricane-proof at Pier 21? I know that's always a crap shoot but even the Alabama got tossed around a bit on her last one.
View Quote
Proof? No. As protected as you'll get in Galveston. Yeah. It's on the bayside of the island and probably a couple miles into the harbor or so.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:00:11 PM EDT
[#17]
ship put back in the water...early this morning.  Then moved to pier in shipyard.
Will remain there through 2024...having topside and internal work done.
In 2025 ship will be moved to Pier 21.....in Galveston.  Portside to...facing west.
Info at the Battleship Texas Foundation webpage.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:29:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the update.  It's nice to see the Texas back in the water.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:38:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:55:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Aerial video on this post:
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 7:33:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Gopher:
View Quote

Considering they were originally reinforcing the dog crap out of her in anticipation of towing her all the way to Alabama before they acquired the drydock for a song, I'd say she'd be fine in a storm
She did fine during Harvey, granted that was a lot further inland...
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:37:22 PM EDT
[#22]
The battleship USS New Jersey is starting a dry dock repair at the Philadelphia Navy Yard.  Here's the latest video of it in drydock, but their channel has a lot of good stuff.
In The Drydock: First Look At The Ship On The Blocks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top