Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 4:01:14 PM EDT
[#1]
"A leak rate of 2000 GPM?!" Filled with expanding foam?!

If they're towing it, I'd recommend a tow line twice the length of the depth at that point, otherwise, that tug could be pulled to the bottom!
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 5:38:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Good to hear they have lined up a local drydock.

Setting up in Beaumont would get less traffic than it would in San Jacinto.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 6:16:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

My thought too. I would love to see it in Corpus but there doesn't seem to be much of a push for that.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 7:01:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If they're towing it, I'd recommend a tow line twice the length of the depth at that point, otherwise, that tug could be pulled to the bottom!
View Quote

Ultimate "Flex Seal" tape test.  [Que Smiling Flex Seal Guy]

We Slapped "Flex Seal" Tape in Salt water on the aging leaks & hull holes in this 100+ year old 28,000 Ton Battleship and then towed it out to sea ...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 7:34:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
its leaking far less than that now.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 8:13:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
I live in the area and while it will be cool to have it a little closer, I agree. I dunno what the hell they're thinking.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 8:25:14 PM EDT
[#7]
If I ever win the lottery, some of it is going to the Texas
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Even 20 gallons per minute would have me concerned. It's got to be a sieve. Not even enough to weld decent patches to.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 4:25:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I live in the area and while it will be cool to have it a little closer, I agree. I dunno what the hell they're thinking.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the release here, the Beaumont City Council has been asked about it/discussed it with BTF. Essentially they said they (Beaumont) might submit a proposal outlining the costs/requirements/benefits of the move. Nothing even approaching concrete, and the infrastructure costs once put to paper will likely make it untenable to Beaumont, let alone the poor attendance projections.

I think that former part is going to make a move anywhere a big hurdle if the location already doesn't have existing or easily modifiable infrastructure and space to host the ship.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 4:39:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

From the release here, the Beaumont City Council has been asked about it/discussed it with BTF. Essentially they said they (Beaumont) might submit a proposal outlining the costs/requirements/benefits of the move. Nothing even approaching concrete, and the infrastructure costs once put to paper will likely make it untenable to Beaumont, let alone the poor attendance projections.

I think that former part is going to make a move anywhere a big hurdle if the location already doesn't have existing or easily modifiable infrastructure and space to host the ship.
View Quote

Which makes Corpus or Galveston the logical choice. But when has logic played into any of this?
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 5:13:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Corpus is the place, Lex is already there, adding the Texas makes it a no brainer, two ships for one, in ARFCOM fashion, get both. Seriously it will bring more people....non-dedicated ship heads may pick pne or the other to see, but both in one spot? The way to go...

Like the Erie County Naval and Servcemens park in Buffalo, the Little Rock, The Sullivans, and the Croaker all in one place...
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Corpus is the place, Lex is already there, adding the Texas makes it a no brainer, two ships for one, in ARFCOM fashion, get both. Seriously it will bring more people....non-dedicated ship heads may pick pne or the other to see, but both in one spot? The way to go...

Like the Erie County Naval and Servcemens park in Buffalo, the Little Rock, The Sullivans, and the Croaker all in one place...
View Quote

Agree with this. If it's going to be moved for "the whole package" I think Corpus with Lexington makes the most sense. Not the best location-wise since it's right on the coast, but what location anywhere outside of something like San Jacinto or upriver like Beaumont is more protected, and it's all still salt to brackish water anyway and still gets full hits from storms and corrosion. So kind of moot.

Galveston might have an edge with projected attendance (just seat of the pants) IF it's right on the Strand, but buildout costs plus taking up valuable still used waterfront probably isn't on the list. Seawolf would need a huge infusion of funds for infrastructure, then attendance would have to go out of the way to get on Pelican vs just walking down the Strand. Good view via ferry though, so that might give a bump.

Staying at San Jacinto is the easy button, but will still need improvements. But does have the best potential for a permanent drydock scenario. Attendance would still be less than Galveston or Corpus.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 8:19:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Even 20 gallons per minute would have me concerned. It's got to be a sieve. Not even enough to weld decent patches to.
View Quote
They have had crews repairing like crazy for a while now. Its in much better shape than it was even a year ago.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 9:22:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They have had crews repairing like crazy for a while now. Its in much better shape than it was even a year ago.
View Quote

Dig back through this link for what they have done to this point.

https://battleshiptexas.org/battleship-updates/
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:39:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Last chance to tour her this weekend before she goes off to drydock.

https://battleshiptexas.org/tickets/
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 7:07:19 PM EDT
[#16]
So the drydock will be in Galveston for repairs.  That is good news, not having to tow in open waters.
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 1:08:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Can we visit in drydock?
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 7:25:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Can we visit in drydock?
View Quote

This would be awesome.

CMOS
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 10:06:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Can we visit in drydock?
View Quote

No thanks, been on a navy ship in dry dock.  Not a fun place at all.   Also no where near safe for the stupid general public.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top