Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2019 9:54:23 PM EDT
My wife and I plan to spend a couple days at the Balloon Fiesta this year. We'll be staying up north and plan to attend one early morning event and one late evening event.

Are we better off using the park and ride service or using Uber/Lyft?

Any other tips?

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 1:18:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Park n ride is your best bet.  Leaving the Balloon Fiasco can take hours.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 7:40:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Park n ride is your best bet.  Leaving the Balloon Fiasco can take hours.
View Quote
Got it. Thanks.

I don't have a special desire to go but my wife has always wanted to go. So I'm taking her there for her birthday.

Appreciate the info!
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 1:41:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Having only been here about 9 months, I can already tell you that Albuquerque is the absolute WORST at running events. Parking, lines, and anything else that most cities have no issue doing (especially an ongoing annual event), seem to get absolutely screwed up here. I went to the Air Show a couple months ago, and while you would THINK that might be something they have figured out, it took me 4 hours (just over 4) to get 3 miles, and while I should have been there an hour before the event, I actually didnt even get on base until there was only an hour left, at which point after parking, they told us the buses arent running anymore and we should leave and go watch somewhere else. Food truck show and other events are just as aggravating.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 9:55:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been here for 20 years and can say that, yes, it is an issue getting in but I have never sat in traffic longer that 30 minutes to get out. The earlier you get up and get rolling to the park, the less time you'll spend in traffic.  We still love Balloon Fiesta and always promote/recommend people to go. We get up, (wife and 5-7 year old kids) at 0400, get to the park and get in, then sleep in the truck if needed and then go inside the park. The morning food is great and there is plenty of stuff to look at.  The balloon crews let you get right up close to see the launches.  To get in for the evenings, just plan on starting your trip by 1530-1600, get parked, go eat some grub and just chill.  What I've learned over the years is to just not be in a hurry.  Make sure you get a Blake's Lotaburger breakfast burrito when you go for the morning show!
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 9:34:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've been here for 20 years and can say that, yes, it is an issue getting in but I have never sat in traffic longer that 30 minutes to get out. The earlier you get up and get rolling to the park, the less time you'll spend in traffic.  We still love Balloon Fiesta and always promote/recommend people to go. We get up, (wife and 5-7 year old kids) at 0400, get to the park and get in, then sleep in the truck if needed and then go inside the park. The morning food is great and there is plenty of stuff to look at.  The balloon crews let you get right up close to see the launches.  To get in for the evenings, just plan on starting your trip by 1530-1600, get parked, go eat some grub and just chill.  What I've learned over the years is to just not be in a hurry.  Make sure you get a Blake's Lotaburger breakfast burrito when you go for the morning show!
View Quote
@31niner

Thanks for the info!

We don't mind getting up very early to get in. Do you recommend we park at the park or use the Park and Ride service?

We'll definitely check out the food there.

What about bringing chairs?

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 9:44:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

@31niner

Thanks for the info!

We don't mind getting up very early to get in. Do you recommend we park at the park or use the Park and Ride service?

We'll definitely check out the food there.

What about bringing chairs?

Thanks again!
View Quote
We get up and rolling to the park before the park and ride service starts....so I’d say, if you’re willing to get up early then just drive yourself. Chairs are an extra comfort but you’ll be carrying them for a quarter mile to the park gates and then wherever you walk around to check things out.  We always just take a blanket so we can wrap up in it when it’s cool in the mornings and then lay it out on the grass to sit on and claim a spot for hanging out.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 11:43:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

We get up and rolling to the park before the park and ride service starts....so I’d say, if you’re willing to get up early then just drive yourself. Chairs are an extra comfort but you’ll be carrying them for a quarter mile to the park gates and then wherever you walk around to check things out.  We always just take a blanket so we can wrap up in it when it’s cool in the mornings and then lay it out on the grass to sit on and claim a spot for hanging out.
View Quote
Much appreciated again!

What time would you recommend we arrive in the parking area in the morning?  How about the evening?
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 10:42:50 PM EDT
[#9]
If you're dying to see the whole morning spectacle (including the 6:00 dawn patrol) I would try to be in the lot by 5:30 esp. if you are bringing chairs, blankets etc. Most of the big crowds don't come out that early so you can stake out a decent view. As far as events to go to, do not go to the farewell mass ascension on 10/13. I live about half a mile north of the park so I usually watch from my porch with a coffee; the farewell ascension lame compared to the others. I would recommend the ascension on the Sunday the 10/6 as that one tends to be less busy with church and all. As far as evening events, I would avoid the evening of Friday 10/11 as that is bar-none the busiest with everyone in town off for the weekend. Any other of the major evening events are about as busy equally; I would allow for at least an hour off the freeway driving to the park. I have had good result with the park-and-ride service (kinda, one driver got lost on the way back from the park) but as others have said just allow for a decent amount of time (1-1.5 hrs) in advance of the event you want to attend.

Hope that helps!
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 10:51:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you're dying to see the whole morning spectacle (including the 6:00 dawn patrol) I would try to be in the lot by 5:30 esp. if you are bringing chairs, blankets etc. Most of the big crowds don't come out that early so you can stake out a decent view. As far as events to go to, do not go to the farewell mass ascension on 10/13. I live about half a mile north of the park so I usually watch from my porch with a coffee; the farewell ascension lame compared to the others. I would recommend the ascension on the Sunday the 10/6 as that one tends to be less busy with church and all. As far as evening events, I would avoid the evening of Friday 10/11 as that is bar-none the busiest with everyone in town off for the weekend. Any other of the major evening events are about as busy equally; I would allow for at least an hour off the freeway driving to the park. I have had good result with the park-and-ride service (kinda, one driver got lost on the way back from the park) but as others have said just allow for a decent amount of time (1-1.5 hrs) in advance of the event you want to attend.

Hope that helps!
View Quote
Awesome info.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 10:02:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the info!

We went Sat (morning and evening) and Sun (morning) and had a great time. We just got up really early and had no issues with parking. Leaving wasn't too bad either. Probably took us 20 mins to get out of the area. On Sat we left after the morning events, took a nap, then returned for the evening events.

We did eat a couple Blake's Lotaburger breakfast burritos. Had one with what they said was red chiles and one with green chiles. Both were excellent but the green chile one was a little hot for my taste. Still good though.

Got tons of good pics. Very cool event. Definitely recommend it to anyone who has not been.

Thanks again!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top