Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2020 9:54:26 AM EDT
#MAGA !!!!!!!!!

He's got my vote.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/rep-doug-collins-to-run-for-georgia-senate-seat

Rep. Doug Collins, R-Ga., who has been one of President Trump's staunchest defenders through the impeachment process, is expected to announce that he will run for U.S. Senate.

Collins, as reported Monday by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and Politico, will attempt to oust current GOP Sen. Kelly Loeffler, who was appointed to her seat last year by Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp. The conservative Collins, the top Republican on the House Judiciary Committee, was Trump’s preferred choice for the appointment. Trump supporters had criticized Loeffler as too moderate.

Loeffler, a wealthy co-owner of the Atlanta Dream, a WNBA franchise, has said she would spend $20 million to retain her seat. But she will likely face a tough battle against the popular Collins. (more at link...)
View Quote
Posted this in GD but I figured GA HT would want to discuss more in-depth.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:25:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:42:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
He's got my vote.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 11:20:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm fairly up on the political talking heads in Georgia and I have to admit that I've never heard of this Collins .  Has he been lurking in the weeds or what .   What exactly has he done for the state or the nation .

And why does he believe he is a better candidate ?

Will this just be another case of the Republicans eating their own ??   And leaving a wide open door for the leftist in Atlanta to rule the state of Georgia .

gd
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 3:06:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I met him at a very localized community emergency prep group in north ga. She showed up to give a little speech and stuck around for the whole hour meeting. He wasnt freaked out by a bunch of camo wearing prepper types open carrying, and took time to talk to anyone that wanted to have a few words.  I was impressed with the person that he is.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 3:36:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm fairly up on the political talking heads in Georgia and I have to admit that I've never heard of this Collins .  Has he been lurking in the weeds or what .   What exactly has he done for the state or the nation .

Will this just be another case of the Republicans eating their own ??   And leaving a wide open door for the leftist in Atlanta to rule the state of Georgia .

gd
View Quote
Collins, Nunes, Radcliffe, Jordan, Gaetz, (Gowdy) = All Star anti-swamp team

Collins has been engaged in all out warfare for the past two years.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 3:37:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Collins's constituent services people really took care of me a while back.

I was impressed.

He's good on guns.  Loeffler is unknown on guns.

That's good enough for me.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 9:52:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Unless some earth shattering news comes out on him, he has my vote.

I really like him.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 9:27:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Loeffler must have known it was coming because she started running commercials at least a week before this was announced.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 10:06:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

gd
View Quote
You must not have watched any of the House impeach proceedings. Nothing wrong with that, waisted time anyway. But Collins was the ranking member on our side, calling folks out and fighting the good fight.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 12:11:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I've heard that it would be either him or Jack Kingston running.

Mr. Collins has my vote.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:29:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Loeffler is a Romney supporter. That hurts her in my eyes
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 2:53:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Agreed, Romney is toxic
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 6:52:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Romney supporter as in she voted for him in 2012 against BHO or Romney supporter in general?  Makes a big difference.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 6:44:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Has he been lurking in the weeds or what .   What exactly has he done for the state or the nation.
View Quote
The two main votes that he dropped the ball on were GA SB 308 from 2010 where he voted with Stacey Abrams

Stacy Abrams (D-84, Atlanta) proposed an amendment to make it a criminal offense to carry a firearm at private elementary and secondary schools, undermining the premise of SB 308, that private property owners will be able to make their own decisions about their own property.  The Abrams amendment picked up some Republican votes and passed the subcommittee.  The Republicans who voted in favor of this particular gun ban were Matt Ramsey (R - 72, Peachtree City), Doug Collins (R-27, Gainesville), and Sharon Cooper (R-41, Marietta).

and he also voted for the 2016 Omnibus bill:

U.S. Rep. Doug Collins has again defended his controversial vote in December for a $1.1 trillion omnibus spending bill, a vote that has become the rallying cry for his opponents in the upcoming primary.
Collins said he believes the vote was the right decision for the people of the 9th Congressional district, which he represents, and he reiterated previous statements that none of the money Planned Parenthood got from programs funded by the bill paid for abortions.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 5:00:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Romney supporter as in she voted for him in 2012 against BHO or Romney supporter in general?  Makes a big difference.
View Quote
Romney supporter as in provides him with cash
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 8:49:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Supposedly Trump is going to try to involve himself in this race and end the fight. Per the radio this morning
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 12:45:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Supposedly Trump is going to try to involve himself in this race and end the fight. Per the radio this morning
View Quote
Trump mentioned it during his victory lap press conference speech thing yesterday.  After he thanked Loeffler for her support he said something about working out a compromise for that seat.  I don't think Trump really knew of a solution yet, it seemed almost off the cuff to me.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 1:01:36 PM EDT
[#18]
She contributed to Romney in his race against Obama.

She also contributed to McCain against Obama

I voted for both these men, but would not do so now

I think this criticism of her is disengenuous

She and Doug Collins are both Trump supporters.  No difference there

Trump promoted Collins for Senate because he defended him in the house impeachment hearings.  I get that.  They went to bat for each other

I'm not advocating one over the other (because I am prohibited), but I do think this particular attack is a little unfair

Trump mentioned something yesterday that hints he will give one of these an appointment, to free the other for this Senate seat without dividing GA Republicans

So stay tuned

Eta.  Here is the AJC article

Here is a different article
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 4:59:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Stacy Abrams (D-84, Atlanta) proposed an amendment to make it a criminal offense to carry a firearm at private elementary and secondary schools, undermining the premise of SB 308, that private property owners will be able to make their own decisions about their own property. The Abrams amendment picked up some Republican votes and passed the subcommittee. The Republicans who voted in favor of this particular gun ban were Matt Ramsey (R - 72, Peachtree City), Doug Collins (R-27, Gainesville), and Sharon Cooper (R-41, Marietta).
View Quote
SB308 was the bill that removed the Public Gathering clause and dramatically expanded where we could carry.

Collins can't win in the General Election.

His minister background, position on abortion, defense of Trump, voting record etc. are all handicaps.   Plus, he voted for Boehner and Ryan as Speakers.  He's a professional politician and part of the Surrender Caucus of Republicans.

Gov. Kemp chose very wisely.    Sen. Loeffler will attract young and women voters and lacks the baggage that Collins has.    She's an outsider and not a professional politician.   Isn't that what we keep asking for?
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
(SNIP)

His minister background, position on abortion, defense of Trump, voting record etc. are all handicaps.   Plus, he voted for Boehner and Ryan as Speakers.  He's a professional politician and part of the Surrender Caucus of Republicans

Gov. Kemp chose very wisely.    Sen. Loeffler will attract young and women voters and lacks the baggage that Collins has.    She's an outsider and not a professional politician.   Isn't that what we keep asking for?
View Quote
LOL
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 8:38:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
LOL
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
(SNIP)

His minister background, position on abortion, defense of Trump, voting record etc. are all handicaps.   Plus, he voted for Boehner and Ryan as Speakers.  He's a professional politician and part of the Surrender Caucus of Republicans

LOL
LOL indeed, Mike maybe you should go back to Philly? Those qualities are exactly what we like down here (anit-abortion, pro-Trump, and God fearing)
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 8:40:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:LOL indeed, Mike maybe you should go back to Philly? Those qualities are exactly what we like down here (anit-abortion, pro-Trump, and God fearing)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:LOL indeed, Mike maybe you should go back to Philly? Those qualities are exactly what we like down here (anit-abortion, pro-Trump, and God fearing)
Don't hate me because Collins voted against your right to carry, voted for NeverTrumper Speaker Ryan to run the House, and worse of all voted FOR the 2015 Omnibus bill.   That bill was best described by  Senator Jeff Sessions as:

In the dead of night after 2am this morning, Congressional leadership unveiled a more than 2,000 page 'omnibus' year-end funding bill which would, among other things: fully-fund the President's refugee expansion; fully-fund sanctuary cities; fully-fund the resettlement of illegal aliens youth and their families crossing the border; lock-in tax credits for illegal aliens; and quadruple the highly controversial H-2B foreign worker visa being used to replace Americans as truck drivers, construction workers, theme park employees, and in blue collar jobs across the nation.....

Sessions observed that - as the omnibus paves the way for a huge immigration increase beyond today's record-breaking highs - that more than 8 in 10 American voters want the level of immigration in American frozen or cut, and yet the GOP-led Congress is about to surge it even higher.
Source Link

I don't know squat about Senator Loeffler.   She could be another leftist claiming to be a Republican.   But, we have hard evidence that Collins is not the conservative he claims to be.   He's not much different than opportunist Mitt Romney.  The only difference are the topics that he will betray America over.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 10:29:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Don't hate me because Collins voted against your right to carry, voted for NeverTrumper Speaker Ryan to run the House, and worse of all voted FOR the 2015 Omnibus bill.   That bill was best described by  Senator Jeff Sessions as:

Source Link

I don't know squat about Senator Loeffler.   She could be another leftist claiming to be a Republican.   But, we have hard evidence that Collins is not the conservative he claims to be.   He's not much different than opportunist Mitt Romney.  The only difference are the topics that he will betray America over.
View Quote
You're just another yankee RINO trying to turn GA into the shithole from whence you came

You are why we hate all of the transplants from up north coming down here trying to tell us how it was done back home
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 10:49:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Been seeing attack ads against him all morning. Paid for by www.clubforgrowth.org
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 12:20:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 5:21:24 PM EDT
[#26]
"His minister background, position on abortion, defense of Trump are all handicaps"

All pluses for me not negatives.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 7:04:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
"His minister background, position on abortion, defense of Trump are all handicaps"

View Quote
I truly respect that and feel the same.    The campaign problem is the suburban Atlanta women's vote.   That's how Hillary and Stacey won Cobb, N. Fulton, Dunwoody, et al.   The population growth of those areas make them truly important to winning in the future.  The flood of the tech immigrants who have become citizens will also be a big factor favoring Democrats.    If you guys think I'm wrong, tell me why.

Georgia politics isn't country anymore.   The Politics is suburban and tech.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 9:31:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Same here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top