Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2021 3:29:53 PM EDT
Senator Hughes advanced SB 513 to the Senate Floor, you need to call Dan Patrick 512-453-0001, and YOUR state senator, to get the Senate voting on SB 513.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvprvGhwU0Y

Link is to the bill layout by Senator Hughes and Rachel Malone of TX GOA testifying!!
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 3:52:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I just read the bill.  There is a lot of weasel room in that thing.  I can imagine a number of ways the City of Austin and its thugs will violate this.  Do you think they will be deterred by a Class A misdemeanor?  Losing state grant funds?  The bill states they "(a) may not adopt a
rule, order, ordinance, or policy under which the entity enforces, or by consistent action allows the enforcement of, a federal statute, order, rule, or regulation enacted on or after January 1, 2021, that purports to regulate a firearm, a firearm accessory, or firearm ammunition if the statute, order, rule, or regulation imposes a prohibition, restriction, or other regulation, such as a capacity or size limitation, a registration requirement, or a background check, that does not exist under the laws of this state."  What if they are "inconsistent" in their action to allow enforcement????

I'd push for stricter terms and make violations a third degree felony with no possible option for probation.  This will make their butts pucker.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 4:13:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just read the bill.  There is a lot of weasel room in that thing.  I can imagine a number of ways the City of Austin and its thugs will violate this.  Do you think they will be deterred by a Class A misdemeanor?  Losing state grant funds?  The bill states they "(a) may not adopt a
rule, order, ordinance, or policy under which the entity enforces, or by consistent action allows the enforcement of, a federal statute, order, rule, or regulation enacted on or after January 1, 2021, that purports to regulate a firearm, a firearm accessory, or firearm ammunition if the statute, order, rule, or regulation imposes a prohibition, restriction, or other regulation, such as a capacity or size limitation, a registration requirement, or a background check, that does not exist under the laws of this state."  What if they are "inconsistent" in their action to allow enforcement????

I'd push for stricter terms and make violations a third degree felony with no possible option for probation.  This will make their butts pucker.
View Quote

Out of all the 2A sanctuary bills that were written SB 513 was the toughest bill introduced this session. Most of the other bills were not even close to SB 513.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 5:55:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's exactly the kind of feedback we all need to give to them, but in a way that acknowledges the current bill as a step forward. Right now, we have nothing. To OP's point, we all need to communicate to Austin and not just in the choir room here.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:54:30 PM EDT
[#4]
While I see these things as great, do they actually accomplish anything or are they just political theater?

Let’s say a federal AWB is passed.  
What manufactures will still produce or sell in TX or AZ things that violate fed law.

My understanding is it just says for local boys not to encore fed laws which they typically don’t anyway other than add on offenses.  

All that said, I’ll still do my part and call and email.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 12:29:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
While I see these things as great, do they actually accomplish anything or are they just political theater?

What manufactures will still produce or sell in TX or AZ things that violate fed law.

My understanding is it just says for local boys not to encore fed laws which they typically don’t anyway other than add on offenses.  

View Quote

What the bill does is prevent any Texas law enforcement to be used to enforce federal laws. So the Fed could not ask local police or sheriffs or even DPS to round up citizens guns.

A Class A misdemeanor can be pretty rough on a LEO, since you need a Texas license to be a LEO. Just like your LTC a Class A misdemeanor can screw up their law enforcement license.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 11:37:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks DonOfKalifornia!!!

I'll be on the phone with Dan Patricks Office again on Monday - they are getting tired of me calling each day on the various gun rights bills I'm expecting him to Champion & Support this session.

For a so called "Conservative", Texans "Gun Rights" don't even seem to be anywhere on his radar, much less a Priority.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 12:37:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good point.  And I think it's helpful to consider the difference between what a local cop does now when encountering a gun that violates federal law, and what they'll be able to do if this passes.  Right now, local cops definitely will arrest you if they catch you with an illegal machine gun.  They might turn the case over to the feds before charging you, but you're cooked.  Now, what do you think happens if this law is in place and all of Texas keeps their 30 round magazines after a federal ban on mags over 10 rounds?  Do you think a local cop is going to care one bit about a standard capacity magazine?  Do you think a local cop is going to care about a brace, or whether or not a P80 is registered?  Maybe a detective that is looking for someone specific, but not your regular ol' patrol officers/deputies.  

And, to whoever said a Misdemeanor A is weak, does anyone think that cops (or assistant district attorneys) are interested in catching a misdemeanor for doing their job?  Maybe the political monsters at the top might be willing to risk it, but, in general, folks getting a paycheck either way aren't going to choose to risk going to jail for doing their job.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 7:56:23 PM EDT
[#8]
A Texas police office could arrest someone for possession of an unstamped MG as that's also against Texas law.

If the Federal government under diaper wearing Biden (Secret Service code name: Depends) passes various gun-grabbing laws, they would still not be against Texas law.

The 2nd Amendment Sanctuary (2nd AS) law, if passed, would codify that Texas law enforcement could not arrest someone for violations of new Federal gun laws.  It would also prevent various communist governments like those in big cities, who would love to get grants from the Federal government to arrest normal gun owners for owning something that a year before was perfectly illegal.  And they would release from jail any number of robbers / rapists / drug deals to make room for the inflow.

No, it would not keep Texas based manufactures going - they'd be outlawed via the infinite Commerce Clause that the Supreme Court made up.  But 2nd AS would prevent hordes of local cops being paid by the Federal government, via worthless junk bonds, to serve as local enforcers of diaper boy's wishes.  

This, and Constitutional Carry, are the two big goals of this session for pro-gun groups.  

Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:02:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A Texas police office could arrest someone for possession of an unstamped MG as that's also against Texas law.

If the Federal government under diaper wearing Biden (Secret Service code name: Depends) passes various gun-grabbing laws, they would still not be against Texas law.

The 2nd Amendment Sanctuary (2nd AS) law, if passed, would codify that Texas law enforcement could not arrest someone for violations of new Federal gun laws.  It would also prevent various communist governments like those in big cities, who would love to get grants from the Federal government to arrest normal gun owners for owning something that a year before was perfectly illegal.  And they would release from jail any number of robbers / rapists / drug deals to make room for the inflow.

No, it would not keep Texas based manufactures going - they'd be outlawed via the infinite Commerce Clause that the Supreme Court made up.  But 2nd AS would prevent hordes of local cops being paid by the Federal government, via worthless junk bonds, to serve as local enforcers of diaper boy's wishes.  

This, and Constitutional Carry, are the two big goals of this session for pro-gun groups.  

View Quote

This was also why it was important to make suppressors and SBR’s legal under Texas law a few sessions ago. Now as long as the you purchased or built with the either with the correct taxes stamps are legal to possess.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:17:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Texas has this strange sounding phase in a lot of its statutes: "it is a defense to prosecution that", which makes it sound like you can still be arrested for it, but can cite the statutes during your trial.

"If it please the court, what I'm being charged with isn't actually illegal!"

Generally the idea is the above wording means it's not illegal and so you should not be arrested for it.  But yeah, I think last session the wording on SBR's and silencers was going to be changed to just say they were legal with a NFA tax stamp.  I don't know if that got passed or not - hopefully it did.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 11:13:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Texas has this strange sounding phase in a lot of its statutes: "it is a defense to prosecution that", which makes it sound like you can still be arrested for it, but can cite the statutes during your trial.

"If it please the court, what I'm being charged with isn't actually illegal!"

Generally the idea is the above wording means it's not illegal and so you should not be arrested for it.  But yeah, I think last session the wording on SBR's and silencers was going to be changed to just say they were legal with a NFA tax stamp.  I don't know if that got passed or not - hopefully it did.
View Quote

It did. Section 46.05 of the Penal Code.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top