Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2018 10:50:16 PM EDT
I have a 71 beetle that needs some basic stuff done on the engine, some oil leaks, tune up etc.  Does anyone know a mechanic in the Avondale area?
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 3:24:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Oil leaks are most likely the valve cover gaskets and the pushrod tube seals . Best bet is to pull the engine pull the heads and do a valve job while the heads are off replace the pushrod tube seals and reassemble . Great time to install a large oil cooler so you can use it in the heat of the Arizona summer . For what its worth it is an easy DYI job if you are a good mechanic and have a good machine shop to do the heads . If you contact Competition engineering in Phoenix they can give you a quote . My guess is you don't want to do it yourself or let some wannabe air cooled shop do the work . Competition engineering isn't cheap ,but they know what they are doing and will get it done right the first time . My guess is about $600.00 to do the job including the real main seal , and you may as well change the clutch while they have the engine out for another $200.00 in parts and labor.
Figure the worse case  $1000.00 for the whole thing including a tune up ,and carb rebuild . Add another $125.00 for a large oil cooler and your at $1125.00 , just a rough guess but i'm close . I have built  many VW and Corvair engine's  in the past and can tell you that the only sure cure for leaks is to pull the engine and do it right .
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 8:46:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oil leaks are most likely the valve cover gaskets and the pushrod tube seals . Best bet is to pull the engine pull the heads and do a valve job while the heads are off replace the pushrod tube seals and reassemble . Great time to install a large oil cooler so you can use it in the heat of the Arizona summer . For what its worth it is an easy DYI job if you are a good mechanic and have a good machine shop to do the heads . If you contact Competition engineering in Phoenix they can give you a quote . My guess is you don't want to do it yourself or let some wannabe air cooled shop do the work . Competition engineering isn't cheap ,but they know what they are doing and will get it done right the first time . My guess is about $600.00 to do the job including the real main seal , and you may as well change the clutch while they have the engine out for another $200.00 in parts and labor.
Figure the worse case  $1000.00 for the whole thing including a tune up ,and carb rebuild . Add another $125.00 for a large oil cooler and your at $1125.00 , just a rough guess but i'm close . I have built  many VW and Corvair engine's  in the past and can tell you that the only sure cure for leaks is to pull the engine and do it right .
View Quote
The leaks are in the front of the transmission so it leaks transaxle fluid.  The other is at the back of the engine, not the valve covers.  It has a larger oil cooler with a electric fan on it.  I know where competition is but that is a long ways from my house.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:27:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a '66 bus, a '61 bug and a '73 thing.  I'd love to help you with it, but I'm working overseas right now.

I have rarely walked away from a mechanics shop with a smile on my face, when it comes to air cooled stuff.  I almost always work on things myself.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 1:21:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like a rear main seal and the transaxle seal ,those are very easy fix's . pull the engine and transaxle and replace the rear main seal and reseal the transaxle  . You can do this with a floor jack in your garage . While you have it out take a good look at the pushrod tube seals, they most always leak in an old motor.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:58:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sounds like a rear main seal and the transaxle seal ,those are very easy fix's . pull the engine and transaxle and replace the rear main seal and reseal the transaxle  . You can do this with a floor jack in your garage . While you have it out take a good look at the pushrod tube seals, they most always leak in an old motor.
View Quote
The repairs are all easy.  It is the time and space that are the problem right now.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 4:30:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Where exactly in Avondale and how soon do you need it done?  I'm up in North Phoenix if that isn't too far for you, but I'm booked up for the rest of the week getting cars ready for Volkstock.  I do work mobile but for the leaks motor/trans need to come out and I put it on the lift for that, much faster than dicking around with a jack on the floor.  Can you be a bit more specific on what you need done, maybe some pictures of exactly where it's leaking?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:27:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Where exactly in Avondale and how soon do you need it done?  I'm up in North Phoenix if that isn't too far for you, but I'm booked up for the rest of the week getting cars ready for Volkstock.  I do work mobile but for the leaks motor/trans need to come out and I put it on the lift for that, much faster than dicking around with a jack on the floor.  Can you be a bit more specific on what you need done, maybe some pictures of exactly where it's leaking?
View Quote
The front leak is on the very front where the gear housing bolts to the transaxle.  The rear leak I believe is the oil pump gasket.  Then it could use a tune up.  It is on a Baja Bug so it has not rear bump.  It has a cage that covers the back.  The cage unbolts and can be removed.  Engine can go straight back. Can't get a picture to post.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 4:25:41 AM EDT
[#8]
No pictures isn't a problem, I know exactly what you're talking about.  I've daily driven a '74 baja for the last 8 years until my daughter was born and I had to get a real car.  Now I'm in a full body '74 with a back seat and heaters.  Oil pump is no problem, do you have a stock steel pulley that may be stuck on or an aftermarket aluminum?  It may even just need the 4 pump cover and surrounding case half bolts tightened, I've had those loosen slightly before so just check that yourself in 5 minutes with a 13mm for free.  Honestly how bad is the tranny leak, because a leak from the gear housing isn't easy to fix properly so if it isn't dropping a quart every month or some crazy amount I would save up and have it rebuilt.  Just to be sure you're seeing the leak from the split closer to axles and not the forward split just behind the tranny mount correct?  The front would just be the nose cone and that's a much easier fix.  Maybe 3-4 hours work at the most assuming you didn't just bring the car from back east and everything is rusted solid.  Like I mentioned I'm booked solid the rest of the week, on top of Volkstock I have two trophy trucks that need to be in Mexico for the 1000 on Sunday at my day job but the following week I'm open anytime.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 9:19:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No pictures isn't a problem, I know exactly what you're talking about.  I've daily driven a '74 baja for the last 8 years until my daughter was born and I had to get a real car.  Now I'm in a full body '74 with a back seat and heaters.  Oil pump is no problem, do you have a stock steel pulley that may be stuck on or an aftermarket aluminum?  It may even just need the 4 pump cover and surrounding case half bolts tightened, I've had those loosen slightly before so just check that yourself in 5 minutes with a 13mm for free.  Honestly how bad is the tranny leak, because a leak from the gear housing isn't easy to fix properly so if it isn't dropping a quart every month or some crazy amount I would save up and have it rebuilt.  Just to be sure you're seeing the leak from the split closer to axles and not the forward split just behind the tranny mount correct?  The front would just be the nose cone and that's a much easier fix.  Maybe 3-4 hours work at the most assuming you didn't just bring the car from back east and everything is rusted solid.  Like I mentioned I'm booked solid the rest of the week, on top of Volkstock I have two trophy trucks that need to be in Mexico for the 1000 on Sunday at my day job but the following week I'm open anytime.
View Quote
The leak is in the very front at the nose cone. I check the bolt tightness on the oil pump but still leaks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top