Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2022 2:55:22 PM EDT
Are there any automotive painters in here? I am looking to just have the roof and hood repainted on my truck. The rest of the vehicle is fine. Not looking for high end paint job. Just want it to look better.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 4:47:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 5:20:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Victor painted a motorcycle for me one time, and it came out exceptionally well. If he's still painting, I'd say give him a try.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 1:22:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Felipe Auto Body 21629 N 9th Ave Phoenix

Felipe painted the hood of my truck at the same time he did some body work

I was completely satisfied and will use him again

(shooting buddy of mine used to have a repair shop right next to felipe, that's how I found out about Felipe, Buddy closed his shop and moved on the other things, I'll still use Felipe.)

Poole
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 5:48:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I work at apex customs now.  I don't typically do side work since I don't like to work much on weekends especially in the summer but if you can show me what's goin on as far as damage I can give you an idea of cost if you were to bring it in.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 2:39:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies. I found a place after getting several quotes. They were all over the place.

$4000-5000
$2000
$1450
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 11:57:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Prices on everything have gone insane . FYI if you have just the top painted in a cheap color (Black ,blue, white) that will save you money, and will look great if done right. The painter won't have to match, blend in the same color . A nice vinyl  pin stripe between the colors will make it even better.
The best quality for the price used to be Lefty's paint and collision on n Cave Creek rd in Phoenix ,but sadly he closed down about a year or so ago. Keep looking and you will find a deal .Let them know you will be paying Cash. Painting  a vehicle will really make your vehicle look good, but it's goin to dent your wallet .
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:27:52 PM EDT
[#7]
FYI price is largely determined by the amount of work and the quality of the paint used. Second factor is what's painted

For high metallic colors such as silver, gold, or white pearl you will generally need to do a basecoats bland into other panels then clear them.  The best painters can match those colors good enough to paint a bumper along since the horizontal seams don't really make slight color differences apparent, but paint a panel like a door and not blending is going to have a slight color difference no matter how good you are at tinting colors . Especially on newer cars since the cheap fucks put basecoats on so thin it's transparent.  You can actually see the ecoat sealer through it making me t almost impossible to match perfectly.  Darker colors and solids most painters can either match perfect or close enough you won't see it so no adjacent blends required.

If your panel is really chipped up best practice is to sand the area down to metal and prime, block, refinish the area.  That an extra half hour to hour per panel and an extra 20-30 bucks per panel in primer.    A whole hood hammered with chips is an extra two hours labor vs fixing one or two little chips on a fender is .5 hour billed.

Quality of material is a big factor.   The paint maaco will use to paint your car is garbage. Even their "top quality" job is garbage paint. That's why they can sell you a 1k complete paint job.  They spray it with cheap ass paint. It will oxidize , fade , peel in the sun usually within five years.  Sometimes way less.   The cost of the paint I use which is top of the line usually costs around 2-3k for enough to paint a whole car or truck. That's just the materials bill not the whole job bill. Our paint will last 20 years or more if cared for.

Last is the type of job.  Painting just a hood can be masked off.  Painting a door requires removing all of the window trim, handles, mirror, mouldings, ect.  That takes time and adds to the cost.  Modern bumpers have tons of parts , lights, grills ect.  Takes a lot of time to take those apart.     Taking shit apart gets you a way better paintjob than masking.  Masking these things leaves hard paint edges and areas in the gaps that don't get sanded properly or have enough paint.  These are fail points that will later peel or oxidize faster .  To buttfuck mask a complete like a masco job takes an hour .  To teardown a car for a complete like we do takes the bodyman 6-10 hours which you'll be paying labor rates for.

Last is labor rate.  A collision shop has fucked the employees out of decent pay to get volume from insurance accounts.  They will charge a 50 ish per hour labor rate and the employees will rush through your job as fast as possible.  No fucks given about quality.  You might get a fantastic job done or you might not. They won't go the extra mile. You won't get a proper clear half the time because the shop is screaming at the painters about material costs so they learn to skimp on materials to keep the corporation happy.  Causes early failure pretty often.  At a custom shop like mine labor rate is 100+ per hour.  We didn't bend over for insurance companies for the last decade.  Yes it's more expensive but your painter (me) is paid well and not on commission. I'm not rushing your job out the door or skimping on you clearcoat because you paid for the time and materials. I'll take the time to fix little extra things and make it perfect. I'll take the time to buff the panel to a better than factory appearance. Your paint will last as long as possible because I didn't cut any corners .

So that's about how car painting works guys. You get what you pay for like many other things.

Link Posted: 5/25/2022 12:56:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FYI price is largely determined by the amount of work and the quality of the paint used. Second factor is what's painted

For high metallic colors such as silver, gold, or white pearl you will generally need to do a basecoats bland into other panels then clear them.  The best painters can match those colors good enough to paint a bumper along since the horizontal seams don't really make slight color differences apparent, but paint a panel like a door and not blending is going to have a slight color difference no matter how good you are at tinting colors . Especially on newer cars since the cheap fucks put basecoats on so thin it's transparent.  You can actually see the ecoat sealer through it making me t almost impossible to match perfectly.  Darker colors and solids most painters can either match perfect or close enough you won't see it so no adjacent blends required.

If your panel is really chipped up best practice is to sand the area down to metal and prime, block, refinish the area.  That an extra half hour to hour per panel and an extra 20-30 bucks per panel in primer.    A whole hood hammered with chips is an extra two hours labor vs fixing one or two little chips on a fender is .5 hour billed.

Quality of material is a big factor.   The paint maaco will use to paint your car is garbage. Even their "top quality" job is garbage paint. That's why they can sell you a 1k complete paint job.  They spray it with cheap ass paint. It will oxidize , fade , peel in the sun usually within five years.  Sometimes way less.   The cost of the paint I use which is top of the line usually costs around 2-3k for enough to paint a whole car or truck. That's just the materials bill not the whole job bill. Our paint will last 20 years or more if cared for.

Last is the type of job.  Painting just a hood can be masked off.  Painting a door requires removing all of the window trim, handles, mirror, mouldings, ect.  That takes time and adds to the cost.  Modern bumpers have tons of parts , lights, grills ect.  Takes a lot of time to take those apart.     Taking shit apart gets you a way better paintjob than masking.  Masking these things leaves hard paint edges and areas in the gaps that don't get sanded properly or have enough paint.  These are fail points that will later peel or oxidize faster .  To buttfuck mask a complete like a masco job takes an hour .  To teardown a car for a complete like we do takes the bodyman 6-10 hours which you'll be paying labor rates for.

Last is labor rate.  A collision shop has fucked the employees out of decent pay to get volume from insurance accounts.  They will charge a 50 ish per hour labor rate and the employees will rush through your job as fast as possible.  No fucks given about quality.  You might get a fantastic job done or you might not. They won't go the extra mile. You won't get a proper clear half the time because the shop is screaming at the painters about material costs so they learn to skimp on materials to keep the corporation happy.  Causes early failure pretty often.  At a custom shop like mine labor rate is 100+ per hour.  We didn't bend over for insurance companies for the last decade.  Yes it's more expensive but your painter (me) is paid well and not on commission. I'm not rushing your job out the door or skimping on you clearcoat because you paid for the time and materials. I'll take the time to fix little extra things and make it perfect. I'll take the time to buff the panel to a better than factory appearance. Your paint will last as long as possible because I didn't cut any corners .

So that's about how car painting works guys. You get what you pay for like many other things.
100% right
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top