Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2020 2:25:38 PM EDT
I may or may not have several automatic knives that I may or may not carry once in a while in Washington. I know they are illegal in Washington unless you are a first responder or military, but have you or anyone you know been caught carrying one and been charged or prosecuted. Just asking for a friend.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I may or may not carry one daily for the last 6 years. YMMV
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 3:25:58 PM EDT
[#2]
It happens but from my experience it's one of those charges you really you have to work for.  Most guys use discretion and look the other way unless you give them a reason to slap that charge on you.  Think of it kinda like a bonus charge.  If you're walking down the street minding your business and happen to get contacted for something minor you're probably ok.  If you're walking down the street while selling meth/heroin and get contacted you probably stand a high probability of catching that charge on top of your drug charge.  Kind of like the old, since repealed, litter bag in you car requirement.  No one really ever carried one their car and very few tickets were issued.  If you got one of those $50 tickets, you probably earned it for other reasons.  Hope that makes sense.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 3:57:48 PM EDT
[#3]
That answers it pretty well I think.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#4]
The judge will not take "some guy said in the internet it was OK" for mitigation I would think.

They are illegal. We all know the penalty. If you have a pretty good lawyer and are prepared to beat the rap, go for it - muh freedoms. If you aren't willing to deal with getting caught, I'll suggest you pass.

I grew up in a place where I thought I needed to carry. Except we didn't have permits. I didn't drink and paid attention - but I knew what I faced if caught. I was good with that.

You are going to do what you please, but planning on something illegal not being an issue is not the angle I would work.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#5]
No cop is going to bat an eye at a flipper.

On the other hand an OTF is easy to confiscate and add to the cops collection.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#6]
WA knife laws are pretty dumb.  Butterfly knives are scary, because of the movie Westside Story. Assisted opening knives are ok but if you can flip your knife open with the flick of your wrist, that's a no no..  Law enforcement can carry an automatic knife on duty but not off duty, but they can carry a firearm off duty.  Common sense is something Olympia has been lacking for decades.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 9:23:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I've carried a Benchmade Auto Stryker daily since it was issued to me in 2003.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:30:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 1:00:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Can carry a loaded handgun with a permit, or open carry without a permit.

Nobody needs a knife that can open up that fast though!  (spring assisted is OK)

Makes perfect sense to me.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 1:24:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I've carried an auto for going on ten years. Zero fucks.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:30:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
(spring assisted is OK)
View Quote

Spring assisted is the arm brace of the knife world
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 1:14:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IIf you're walking down the street while selling meth/heroin and get contacted you probably stand a high probability of catching that charge on top of your drug charge.  
View Quote

Not in King County or even worse, Seattle. If you are selling or using drugs, Seattle gives you the keys to the city and a fucking welcome mat. Even better if you are homeless.

Employed dude with a haircut and no criminal record carrying a knife? They'll drop the hammer on you.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 11:20:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Personally I wouldn't carry.  I don't feel a auto is faster than a assisted blade..
Though likely a LEO wouldn't bother.. but it's really not worth the risk if you get charged for one.. and lose your rights to firearms.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top