Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2018 12:07:24 PM EDT
I was just wondering something - a magazine is composed of parts - outer shell, spring, follower, base plate, etc...

If you dont have all the parts for magazine - is it still a magazine?  Say you dont have the follower, spring and base plate. Is it still a magazine?
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:18:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 1:53:00 PM EDT
[#2]
A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 2:38:37 PM EDT
[#3]
In New Jersey I believe it is “Constructive Intent”. As in if you have all the parts in your possession then you have it, whatever that it may be. ??
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:22:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I was just wondering something - a magazine is composed of parts - outer shell, spring, follower, base plate, etc...

If you dont have all the parts for magazine - is it still a magazine?  Say you dont have the follower, spring and base plate. Is it still a magazine?
View Quote

No - because the definition of a high-capacity magazine includes it being able to feed ammunition continuously into a semi-automatic firearm.  There is nothing in statute that says having all of the parts to readily assemble a magazine is illegal, as there is for assault firearms.

A magazine without the spring is just a box...  it doesn't meet the NJ legal definition of ammunition magazine.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 10:16:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No - because the definition of a high-capacity magazine includes it being able to feed ammunition continuously into a semi-automatic firearm.  There is nothing in statute that says having all of the parts to readily assemble a magazine is illegal, as there is for assault firearms.

A magazine without the spring is just a box...  it doesn't meet the NJ legal definition of ammunition magazine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So that means if I have some of the parts but not all the parts its no longer a magazine as it cant be assembled into one?
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 11:39:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

So that means if I have some of the parts but not all the parts its no longer a magazine as it cant be assembled into one?
View Quote
That's the way I read the statute:

2C:39-1y "Large capacity ammunition magazine" means a box, drum, tube or other container which is capable of holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously and directly therefrom into a semi-automatic firearm.

And that definition is why, on appeal, Brian Aikens's conviction of possession of a large capacity ammunition magazine was overturned - the state proved that he was in possession of it, and they proved that the magazine held 16 rounds, but they did not prove (or even verify themselves) that the magazine was capable of feeding the ammunition "continuously and directly therefrom into a semi-automatic firearm".

* not a lawyer, not legal advice, just a lay opinion, yada yada etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top