Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2018 1:59:23 PM EDT
This is going to get interesting.

https://patch.com/connecticut/southington/armed-man-busted-assault-weapon-charges-after-southington-raid

Armed Man Busted On Assault Weapon Charges After Southington Raid
A Tuesday raid on a Southington apartment and storage unit uncovered an arsenal, a report indicates.
By Chris Dehnel, Patch Staff | Nov 21, 2018 10:28 am ET | Updated Nov 21, 2018 10:32 am ET

SOUTHINGTON, CT — A Tuesday raid on a Darling Street apartment and a separate storage unit by Southington police and state and federal authorities uncovered an arsenal and led to an armed man being booked on assault weapon charges, law enforcement officials said.

A detailed report on a search warrant for Apartment Q at 35 Darling St. in Southington was released Wednesday.

The warrant was executed by Southington Police Department with the assistance of state police, the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and the Central Region Emergency Response Team. The search warrant was granted after police received an anonymous tip that someone was attempting to sell an assault rifle, according to a report.

The search warrant was ordered sealed by the court, but police did say that, during the operation, Quac Hao Lam, 24, of that residence, was found to be in possession of a loaded Sig Sauer semi-automatic handgun and three fully loaded magazines for the weapon in his pocket.

Lam admitted that he owned six rifles that were in a storage unit, a report indicates. He then took police to that location and gave them access to it according to a report. Inside the unit were two, 12-gauge shotguns, two, .22-caliber rifles; and one 7.62 mm rifle, according to a report. The weapons were registered to Lam, police said.

Lam was also found to have one, short-barreled AR-15 type weapon without a stock in the storage unit and the weapon had no serial number, a report indicates.

The search of the storage unit also led to the seizure of "assorted calibers" of ammunition; 11 high-capacity magazines, two boxes and two belts of shotgun shells, and four, .22 caliber magazines.

Inside Lam's apartment were four "uncompleted assault rifle lower receiver parts," five semi automatic handguns, two Tasers, body armor, assorted high capacity magazines for handguns and a drill press and tools that can be used to work on or build firearms, according to a report.

More than 1,000 rounds of ammunition were confiscated, according to a report.

Lam was charged with:

Possession of a handgun without a permit

29 counts of possession of high capacity magazines

Possession of an assault weapon

He was held on a $250,000 bond and was to apppear in Briston Superior Court on Wednesday, police said.

Photo Credit: SPD
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 2:04:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Ooooooh....  a THOUSAND rounds of ammunition.  Run fer yer lives!
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 4:22:24 PM EDT
[#3]
1000 rounds of ammo and like 8 guns. I feel bad for this guy. He was so poor.....
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 6:24:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting... They charged him with possession of a pistol without a pistol permit - while he was at his residence.  Edit: or was he a dumbass and ccw to the storage area?
View Quote
It's impossible to know what that refers to without knowing more details about the incident. For example, depending on its barrel length, the stockless AR could be a pistol/revolver as defined. Also, remember the limited scope of the dwelling house exemption- it doesn't cover the curtilage of a resident or the common areas of apartment buildings/complexes.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 5:38:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 5:54:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Search warrant ordered sealed by the court? Is that standard procedure or is there more to this story. Seems like overwhelming response (multiple agencies/state/federal) if this was just a simple case of a few guns/magazines that were not registered with the state. Like the court sealing the search warrant because police are still looking to round up others.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:36:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Apparently he was trying to sell the completed 80% AR on armslist and police obtained videos of the short barreled AR with a stock installed.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:45:58 AM EDT
[#8]
If you set up one of the typical ar15.com general topic "guilty/not guilty" threads I would vote "guilty"

https://www.wfsb.com/news/southington-man-found-with-several-weapons-ammunition/article_d6d90042-ecdb-11e8-a4d3-63f7cd0e656d.html
"Court documents show Southington Police got a tip back in September that a resident was selling an assault rifle on armlist.com that was advertised as, "No brand. New. Has drop in trigger. No serial. Completed from 80 lower. Carbine length. No paperwork. I need money."

http://www.bristolpress.com/BP-Southington+Herald+News/339615/southington-police-charge-man-with-possession-of-assault-weapon-29-high-capacity-magazines
"State prosecutor Jeffrey Lee went a step further than Cronan, calling Lam’s matter “the most dangerous” he has dealt with since Cronan began presiding as the judge in Bristol last year. Lee asked that bail be set at $1 million, saying Lam is bringing in parts of guns from out of state and using them to assemble assault rifles with no serial numbers"
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 2:11:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
"I need money."
View Quote
And there you go. Nothing in the new law will stop guns from being sold if one is willing to break said (stupid/unconstitutional) law to make money. Funny how I could see this ending up like the war on drugs where the Democrats chase their own tail with new "for the children" anti rights law and guns are still every bit as prevalent and available (if not more so) as they were before the Democrats went down this anti rights path.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 3:55:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 4:00:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 7:38:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Interesting - all the hi cap magazine possessions were class D felony's, but the possession of AW were only class A misdemeanors...
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 8:01:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Interesting - all the hi cap magazine possessions were class D felony's, but the possession of AW were only class A misdemeanors...
View Quote
And the different dates on the charges and the majority of those charges including the 29 felonies will not be prosecuted. He is in trouble but it's all in the bargaining
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:01:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

And the different dates on the charges and the majority of those charges including the 29 felonies will not be prosecuted. He is in trouble but it's all in the bargaining
View Quote
The charge related to carrying a pistol without a permit (29-35) has a mandatory minimum sentence associated with it....
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:21:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If true, he drew the wrong state's attorney.   Good luck with that.

Of all the laws the legislature has conjured out of the ether, people are lucky Idiocy in the First Degree isn't one of them.  "I need money."  Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius right there.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:55:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If true, he drew the wrong state's attorney.   Good luck with that.

Of all the laws the legislature has conjured out of the ether, people are lucky Idiocy in the First Degree isn't one of them.  "I need money."  Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius right there.
View Quote
I am not saying he isn't in trouble ..., but he will cop a plea and 26 felonies will go away! Prosecutors have their agenda and judges have another... it's jut the way justice and the world work! You know this so .... I am speaking to those that believe , not those that understand!
2-5... maybe 5-7 but that's it! its a flawed system but it's out system.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#17]
And then there is this out of Willy !! They are also bringing up the ghost gun law again Hopefully they don't try to railroad something through before I get a chance on starting my Glock 21 build.

WILLIMANTIC – Mohammadreza “Reza” Kamali told an undercover agent that demand for his guns was “high.”

Demand was so high he was having trouble keeping up with orders from customers.

Kamali’s guns were special – Glock pistols and AR-15-style rifles assembled piece-by-piece and missing serial numbers that police could use to trace them.

And Kamali wasn’t a felon or a gun shop owner gone rogue, but an 18-year-old student who lived with his parents in a single-family house in Willimantic, complete with a white picket fence out front. Kamali was arrested by federal authorities earlier this month and is expected to be arraigned in court in New Haven on Thursday in connection with selling multiple so-called “ghost” guns on the street.

When asked if he was concerned about one of his “customers” getting caught, Kamali was defiant, according to federal documents obtained Tuesday.

“What they gonna say? The 18-year-old is making 10 guns a (expletive) week? That (expletive) not gonna hold up in court,” he told an undercover agent, according to federal documents. “I deal with so many people, I could care less.”

The investigation of Kamali began earlier this year when he was 17 years old and continued into October when federal documents show he sold multiple AR-15-style rifles to an undercover federal agent. Kamali is suspected of ordering multiple gun parts from companies across the country to assemble completed rifles and pistols in an effort to avoid federal and state restrictions on firearms sales.

Federal gun agents became involved in the case in March after the father of a 14-year-old boy intercepted a package carrying gun parts that was addressed to him at his home in Willimantic. The teenager’s father alerted police and his son told police that Kamali, his classmate, had asked if he could ship the parts to his home.

With that information in hand, police interviewed Kamali, who told them he and the 14-year-old had ordered all of the parts needed to assemble a 9 mm pistol. Police told him it wasn’t illegal to order the parts, but warned him that he could not assemble the pistol, as he couldn’t legally own it.

In addition to the pistol parts, Kamali surrendered an “80-percent” lower receiver for an AR-15-style rifle. Those 80-percent receivers, sometimes referred to as “blanks,” are crucial to create a working rifle, as other parts, including the grip and ammo magazine, fit into them. Special tools, additional parts and the know-how, such as drilling holes in metal, are needed in order to convert the receiver into a working, but untraceable, firearm that lacks serial numbers.

Police need those numbers to trace guns used in crimes back to people who sold them or who were the victims of theft.

Several packages were also sent to the teen’s home and split between them were the parts and tools needed to assemble a working Glock pistol, according to federal authorities.

Months after being warned that assembling the guns was illegal, Kamali continued to offer the firearms for sale, according to a federal search warrant.

A source told Willimantic Police that Kamali was again offering weapons for sale that lacked identifying serial numbers.

Police referred the case to the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms who carried out an undercover operation in late October to arrest Kamali. Posing as a potential buyer, an undercover agent ordered several guns and arranged for a meet.

Kamali had already told a police source he sold similar firearms to people in Windham County and would later tell an undercover agent the demand for the weapons was so high he couldn’t keep up, according to federal documents.

Kamali told the agent he would need to sneak the rifle out of his home, as his parents didn’t know about his firearms dealing, according to federal documents.

While the agent sat with the teen in a car parked outside a Stop & Shop in Willimantic, Kamali handed over two AR-15-style rifles, along with a partially assembled Glock pistol for a total of $1,350.

Kamali bought at least six, lower receivers for AR-15s from a company in Tennessee, federal authorities learned after contacting the business. He was also set to receive shipments of parts from companies in California, Tennessee and Iowa, but authorities intercepted those packages.

State lawmakers on the Judiciary Committee advanced a House bill in the 2018 session that would have outlawed so-called ghost guns, like those authorities allege were assembled by Kamali, but bipartisan opposition stymied the legislation from being called for a House vote.

House Bill 5540 proposed to regulate homemade guns assembled from kits of parts available for sale. Currently, people can legally buy those parts from various dealers.

The proposal would have required someone obtain a serial number and identification mark from the state police before completing assembly or manufacture of a firearm, including 3D printed guns.

Violations would have been a felony offense punishable by up to 10 years imprisonment, up to a $10,000 fine, or both. The legislation proposed a minimum mandatory sentence of two years and a minimum mandatory fine of $5,000.

Kamali, who was detained without bond, was charged with dealing firearms without a license.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 3:34:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I think the session starts 6 Jan

Quoted:
Hopefully they don't try to railroad something through before I get a chance on starting my Glock 21 build.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 9:23:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I think the session starts 6 Jan
View Quote
They need a couple of days to congratulate and fellate each other, before they start butt fucking us.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 1:42:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Interestingly, I know the author who wrote that article for the patch. I'd run in to him from time to time at BBQ's. He's an wicked anti-gun liberal. I had a few words with him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top