Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2021 2:21:11 PM EDT
Or can Florida absorb 1 more super conservative nuclear family?

I'm retired, and my youngest is graduating HS in June and therefore I'm all out of excuses to put up with another NY winter after this.

Assuming you will take us, can you please steer me in the right direction where to look?   I'm wide open to ideas and have no preconceived notions about Florida.  My only experiences are limited to WDW.   We have visited annually for many years, including in August so I'm not turned off by extreme heat and humidity.  To the contrary, I actually love it.

I don't want to live in a housing development, although I do prefer suburban over rural or urban.

Not a deal breaker but would rather be on municipal water and sewer if at all possible.

Link Posted: 12/24/2021 3:47:09 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want crowds, city life, and heat/humidity almost all year, look south of Ocala.

If you want less crowded, more rural, some city life or close to it, heat/humidity most of the year, look north of Ocala and between Jacksonville and Pensacola.

Link Posted: 12/24/2021 4:49:07 PM EDT
[#2]
What’s your budget on a house ?
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 6:03:51 PM EDT
[#3]
If you enjoy the beach and water, you will want to be on the Gulf Coast of FL. Also, East-coasters are icky, strange people.

If you are mildly paranoid and don't like the idea of "one way out" you will want to live in North Florida, not the peninsula. Don't roll your eyes, I actually know people who adhere to that.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What’s your budget on a house ?
View Quote

About $400-450k all in, but to be honest, I would much rather build if at all possible.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you want crowds, city life, and heat/humidity almost all year, look south of Ocala.

If you want less crowded, more rural, some city life or close to it, heat/humidity most of the year, look north of Ocala and between Jacksonville and Pensacola.

View Quote

Thanks.  I have a friend in Dunnellon (I think that's near Ocala).  I don't know anything about the area other than he "loves it."

Ideally I would like a small(ish) town, 15-20 minutes from a larger town and no more than an hour and some change from a larger city.

Link Posted: 12/25/2021 10:15:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Dunnellon isn't far from here. You and your nuclear family are welcome in the greater Marion County area!
Just stay out of Alachua, it's fallen to the communists. At least we know where the first objective is!
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 2:20:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Or can Florida absorb 1 more super conservative nuclear family?

I'm retired, and my youngest is graduating HS in June and therefore I'm all out of excuses to put up with another NY winter after this.

Assuming you will take us, can you please steer me in the right direction where to look?   I'm wide open to ideas and have no preconceived notions about Florida.  My only experiences are limited to WDW.   We have visited annually for many years, including in August so I'm not turned off by extreme heat and humidity.  To the contrary, I actually love it.

I don't want to live in a housing development, although I do prefer suburban over rural or urban.

Not a deal breaker but would rather be on municipal water and sewer if at all possible.

View Quote

I remember you for the NY HTF lol. Your are Central NY right?

Of you want to build North Florida is a great spot. I'm building right now myself so I can tell you it's a process and a wait.

But we love Jacksonville / St Augustine so there is that!
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 3:06:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I remember you for the NY HTF lol. Your are Central NY right?

Of you want to build North Florida is a great spot. I'm building right now myself so I can tell you it's a process and a wait.

But we love Jacksonville / St Augustine so there is that!
View Quote

Yes sir but I'm from the Hudson Valley, not central NY
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 6:52:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Expect 1-2 year build times (not including permits and let prep) in many areas unless you're going into a builders community.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 1:08:20 PM EDT
[#10]
You need to visit for several days in a few areas.
I'd start in the panhandle, then over in a suburb outside Jax/ St. Augustine, and then somewhere around the Ocala area more central Florida.
Even outside Tampa can be nice. Wesley Chapel isn't bad at all, but growing like crazy.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 2:49:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Ideally I would like a small(ish) town, 15-20 minutes from a larger town

View Quote

Think 10 years after you move there what it could/would be like.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 7:45:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'd start in the panhandle, then over in a suburb outside Jax/ St. Augustine, and then somewhere around the Ocala area more central Florida.
Even outside Tampa can be nice. Wesley Chapel isn't bad at all, but growing like crazy.
View Quote

Plan on heading down a few days after the new year.  Hitting St. Aug 1st to visit 2 friends there and then over to Dunnellon.  I'm going to explore between those 2 points to see if anyplace jumps out at me.

I'm absolutely dreading the solitary road trip but I won't fly because I refuse to put up with their bullshit.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 7:59:00 PM EDT
[#13]
If you like to shoot clays check out Robinsons Ranch just a little west of Dunnellon on RT40.
http://www.robinsonranchtrapandskeet.com/
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 7:34:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Plan on heading down a few days after the new year.  Hitting St. Aug 1st to visit 2 friends there and then over to Dunnellon.  I'm going to explore between those 2 points to see if anyplace jumps out at me.

I'm absolutely dreading the solitary road trip but I won't fly because I refuse to put up with their bullshit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We've been in St Augustine for about 1.5 years now and I wouldn't take back my choice. Hopefully you find it to your liking. Sticker shock on new builds is a real thing BTW!
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 8:29:45 AM EDT
[#15]
You picked a bad time to buy down here. Prices are beyond ridiculous. However I can understand getting the hell out of NY. Can't help much except to say maybe look into the Naples and Ft Myers areas. Those are more beach life than country though. Central Florida is hotter than coastal in the summer. Winter/cold is never a factor. When you move you can leave your snow shovel behind.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 8:15:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You picked a bad time to buy down here. Prices are beyond ridiculous. However I can understand getting the hell out of NY. Can't help much except to say maybe look into the Naples and Ft Myers areas. Those are more beach life than country though. Central Florida is hotter than coastal in the summer. Winter/cold is never a factor. When you move you can leave your snow shovel behind.
View Quote

Bring it, I use mine when bagging leaves unless you are in a area where you can burn
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 8:19:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You picked a bad time to buy down here. Prices are beyond ridiculous.
View Quote

Yeah if hindsight were foresight and all...  but as they also say, the best time to buy was yesterday, the next best time is today.  It's only going to get worse.

My house in NY is paid for so I'll pocket every penny of the sale.  I also have cash to buy now before I even have to sell.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 8:49:49 PM EDT
[#18]
If you're interested in such:

Attachment Attached File

I believe that goes up to 2018.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 1:43:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/509682/center_hit_jpg-2222401.JPG

View Quote

I guess in Florida you can just say you lost all your guns in a hurricane.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 9:55:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/509682/center_hit_jpg-2222401.JPG

View Quote

Escambia got hit by Sally in 2020, 16yrs to the day since Ivan, pretty damn close to the same hour too.

Honestly, if you are prepared for them, have a properly built home, and don't live on the water/flood zone, hurricanes aren't THAT big of a deal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top