Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2022 4:18:37 PM EDT
Or anyone that travels to the area frequently. I'm curious about how bad the mormon crickets are in this area. My neighbor has an antelope tag and we need to decide whether to camp or get a room.
Edited to add: unit 141,143, 151-156
Thanks in advance
Tom
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 4:29:02 PM EDT
[#1]
For antelope, I'd camp right close to where I'm hunting.  Tents and or cots to keep the critters and rain out.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 5:10:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
For antelope, I'd camp right close to where I'm hunting.  Tents and or cots to keep the critters and rain out.
View Quote

That's usually how I do it, but this year the crickets are really bad.
Crickets O plenty
We already scouted north of Austin and they were really thick there, so we want to focus on unit 141 and 143. I just don't know if they
are just as bad around Eureka.

Tom
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:44:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 2:43:42 AM EDT
[#4]
There were tons of crickets out in 151-156 last year, but just pockets of them.  During longer than season, we really only came across them at the higher spots, not out in the flats where the pronghorn were, it wasn't bad.  A few weeks later in shorter than season we didn't see many at all.  We slept in the field for both hunts, although they were each short.  I don't have much experience for pronghorn in 14, but I'd for sure rather be in the field to hunt 15.  Just look for spots without crickets while you're scouting/hunting, and come back there when its time to set up camp.  Best of luck.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 12:34:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Aren't the crickets just a summer thing? Once it cools down they go away I thought.
View Quote

Antelope hunts are early enough in the year that is not usually cold.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 3:45:19 AM EDT
[#6]
@turbobrick
Thanks for the suggestion of waiting until the last minute to set up camp. My neighbor is 75yo
and isn't concerned about scoring a trophy, so hopefully, we can just arrive in the morning, hunt/
harvest that day and not even have to worry about setting up camp.
Tom

Link Posted: 7/31/2022 4:37:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
@turbobrick
Thanks for the suggestion of waiting until the last minute to set up camp. My neighbor is 75yo
and isn't concerned about scoring a trophy, so hopefully, we can just arrive in the morning, hunt/
harvest that day and not even have to worry about setting up camp.
Tom

View Quote
I much prefer to hunt them all day with camp in the truck, and set down late in the day anyway.  I hope the fires stay minimal, my longer than tag last year had horrible glassing conditions, and it wasn't fun to be out there at all in all that smoke.  The entirety of 15 isn't traditionally great camping anyway, just silty, pokey weeds, and not a lick of shade in sight.  LEt me know if you're looking for some spots, we've filled 5 of 6 tags out there.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 3:58:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Let me know if you're looking for some spots, we've filled 5 of 6 tags out there.
View Quote

Thanks, I will gladly accept and information that you're will to offer. Our plan was to hunt
the northern part of 156/southern 153 as that is where we spotted the most animals during
out 1 day scouting trip. However, I also feel that this is where most of the hunters will be
concentrated because of the number of animals. I was hoping to be able to scout around
Grass Valley (154/155) but we ran out of light and had to head home.
Tom
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 12:29:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks, I will gladly accept and information that you're will to offer. Our plan was to hunt
the norther part of 156/southern 153 as that is where we spotted the most animals during
out 1 day scouting trip. However, I also feel that this is where most of the hunters will be
concentrated because of the number of animals. I was hoping to be able to scout around
Grass Valley (154/155) but we ran out of light and had to head home.
Tom
View Quote

I don't have much experience in 154/155, and you're right on track with the other area.  Don't be afraid to head further west in those units.  From my experience, there will be some other hunters there, but with good reason, that is where the speed goats are.  Its pays to watch them get bumped by other hunters, know the area and how to get to where they go with pressure.  Best of luck, you'll have a great hunt out there.

Link Posted: 8/3/2022 10:54:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Best of luck, you'll have a great hunt out there.
View Quote

Thanks, I'll let you know how he does.
Tom
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:32:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Or anyone that travels to the area frequently. I'm curious about how bad the mormon crickets are in this area. My neighbor has an antelope tag and we need to decide whether to camp or get a room.
Edited to add: unit 141,143, 151-156
Thanks in advance
Tom
View Quote

I just  got back  from a trip across 50, those bugs are everywhere in austin all over 50. swarms and hordes its kinda wild they are very juicy when they  explode on your windshield.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 8:56:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Poster By 47hooker:
those bugs are everywhere in austin all over 50
View Quote

Thanks for the update. Did you notice if they were in or around Eureka?
TIA
Tom
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top