Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2020 7:21:44 PM EDT
I have a 5-Ton Trane AC/gas heat roof unit and it tries to start but then it sounds like it's 'flaming out'.

It's a little chilly at night and any help would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 2/24/2020 8:26:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Not one?

Wow.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 8:31:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Check your flame sensor. Sounds like it thinks there’s no fire so it shuts down.

Not an HVAC guy.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check your flame sensor. Sounds like it thinks there’s no fire so it shuts down.

Not an HVAC guy.
View Quote
Thanks, Darcy. I can't find ONE HVAC guy that I know that I've reached out for who is willing to get up there with me and at least tell me what's up.

This is a good lesson for me here. Especially for the Motherfuckers that I helped out in the past that are only now driven by money. And do you know what's sad? They all know my situation.

This will not be forgotten.

Link Posted: 2/25/2020 9:51:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't know squat about hvac. Sorry.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:40:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a similar trane unit pull the same shit on me about 4 years ago.  It would start up and run for a few seconds and then kick out. Had a guy come out and diagnose it, he charged me $175 for the 20 minutes he was up there, and then come down and informed me it would be $3,200 to fix. When I asked for specifics he said the controller board went bad (claimed that it is super common on them), and that a new board was $2,000 plus the labor to install and program. I wemt to a local hvac parts place with a picture of the board, and after showing proof of who I worked for, they sold me new one for $300ish. Went up and swapped the board and the system worked great again. Never did do any "programming". I swear to god, that shit is why the trades hace such a shitty reputation now.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 10:34:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a 5-Ton Trane AC/gas heat roof unit and it tries to start but then it sounds like it's 'flaming out'.

View Quote
Hey OP, hope you got it resolved since your posted on 22nd.

Anyway, all gas-fired heating units regardless of brand, use a Honeywell glow element igniter, and they do go bad.  Without a positive proof of flame sensed by the IR safety sensor, the unit will shut down. Check that ignitor first.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Anyway, all gas-fired heating units regardless of brand, use a Honeywell glow element igniter, and they do go bad.  Without a positive proof of flame sensed by the IR safety sensor, the unit will shut down. Check that ignitor first.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TY, b5t.

I've applied for government assistance for my roof unit. My application was received today and now my phone took a shit.

The hits just keep coming.

Link Posted: 2/28/2020 10:57:36 PM EDT
[#8]
WP,

If you still have it and don't need it I can really use that saw.

I have no phone access. Either reach out for me here or e-mail me when you can stop by.

TIA.

-Joe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top