BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:45:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jbntex:

This thread about eclipse viewing locations had my curiosity.....the machinegun shoot has my attention.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jbntex:
Originally Posted By hrt4me:

I am hosting my annual machine gun shoot on Sunday the 7th and then my total solar eclipse watching party the following day on Monday the 8th (I have been planning this for 2 years and now just hoping for good clear weather). There will be several other RVs at my place, although it is primitive with no hook-ups...

This thread about eclipse viewing locations had my curiosity.....the machinegun shoot has my attention.

I would have expected you to be there.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:23:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By DavidY:

You're just pulling shit out of your ass and throwing it on the floor.  
NOBODY has said anyone is going to starve to death.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mPisi:
I predict zero deaths from dehydration or starvation due to eclipse traffic in Forney.  

You're just pulling shit out of your ass and throwing it on the floor.  
NOBODY has said anyone is going to starve to death.  

Fair enough, you're right, you originally said "issues" which depending on your definition will certainly happen.  

Some of the counties don't seem far off from that rhetoric.  When counties start claiming disaster or emergency rights etc, I consider that overblown since I have a big imagination for that an emergency really is.  It's not a half a football game full of people in your town for 8 hours.  

For purposes of this thread, some places south might have some fun since they are in the line of drift from Houston.  Forney will be on the easy side as the demand from the big local source of people will be much less.

If you've been involved with anything going on in the last ten years in that place, I'd keep it to myself.  That entire place has turned to shitsville and is nothing to be proud of (unless your goal was to give people from California a new place to screw up)

Now I'll go back to playfully poking you by saying "Aww, someone new wanted to move to your desirable town?", or "if you want to control something, you need to buy it"

or, "aww, you don't like Cane's and Chipotle?"  We had to fight TxDOT for ages on that one with the RR crossing right there.
Walmart, Kroger across the street, the distribution center behind WM.  Some of the first wave of larger "normal" size residential areas like Fox Hollow (not Forney-sized), and then some of the later tight ones. Bunch of those houses north of town.  Tons of folks moving to the metroplex.  I'd like to put them in apartments convenient to things in the cities, but some want detached homes for now.  So that means the growing suburbs.  Roads lag behind but will get expanded as needed, like IH 30 now in Rockwall and US 80 and IH 20 shortly, 205, 548, etc.  

(further development/professional talk in spoiler tags to stop derailing this thread)
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 5:10:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Matt at Demolition Ranch is leasing spaces, $400 - $600 - no guns.

https://desperadorange.com/products/eclipse-camping-spot
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 5:29:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Hillsboro is doing a big festival.  Pat Green is playing.  Right in the green.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 5:32:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By The_Dog:

And if hrt4me and I get off our butts, all the low hanging branches going in will be cleared in advance.  DM2.0 needs 13 ft of clearance.
View Quote

hmmm really?
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 6:13:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By joemama74:
Matt at Demolition Ranch is leasing spaces, $400 - $600 - no guns.

https://desperadorange.com/products/eclipse-camping-spot
View Quote

Who?  Where?
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 6:42:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Who?  Where?
View Quote

https://www.youtube.com/@DemolitionRanch

I think he actually used to post on here in the shotgun forum like 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 9:38:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:01:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By M2K:

hmmm really?
View Quote

Yeah...  really.  Though it's more like 13 '4".  She's a big girl.  Google Entegra Accolade 37M, then get back to me.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 12:19:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 6:02:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shadycoh] [#11]
oh how I am praying to the rain gods for heavy clouds and major thunder and rainstorms on the 8th.

Just so I can laugh at the idiots that are paying 600 bucks a night 3 nights min, To come to a shit hole small town in central TX with no night life and rolls up at 10pm err well I guess Whataburger is back to 24/7 lol.

Enjoy Burnet my friends I know my fridge will be stocked and I ain't leaving my yard for 3-4 days. 60-100K flooding a town of 7K this is going to be fun.

BTW I have 2 acres and one rv pad with hookups :) If you don't mind a mal a doberman and a rottie licking you to death

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 10:03:17 AM EDT
[#12]
MOAR

“With the Solar Eclipse coming up right around the corner, it is great to experience this once in a lifetime event with friends and family. If you and your family are planning on attending a large gathering to watch the Eclipse, we advise you create a family communications plan to ensure you know where to meet up if you get separated. Be mindful that limited cell phone service, due to heightened network use, is to be expected. “
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

So solar panels don't work as well when the sun is blocked? Huh.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 6:03:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By sgtlmj:
View Quote

I'm told they're absolutely worthless at night too.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#15]

I was morbidly curious....  $250/night for 40ft and 50A!?!?!?

Fuck that.
View Quote

$375 a night now.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 4:55:37 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sgtlmj:

You should know.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:45:47 AM EDT
[#17]
I’m in Granbury and in the path of totality. The town is doing something down on the square but my wife is insisting on driving an hour east to Ennis to join in on their shenanigans.

I keep telling her it’s going to be a gigantic cluster fuck but what do I know. Happy wife, happy life.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 2:25:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I think the Mrs. and I are going to load up the kids and drive the 2+ hours NW to find the path of totality, just so they can experience it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:31:57 AM EDT
[#19]
My parents have 2.5 minutes of totality at their place so I am making the 3 hour drive to see it.  Based off all the hype and planned crowds I'm not sure I'd want to be at a public event.  I can wait at their house for a few hours until the traffic dies down.

-Prep
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:00:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:57:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By mojo:

Next one is 40 years from now in Texas again, I think.
 I'll wait for the next one.  Yeah, I'll be around 102 years old.  Maybe, I can make it.
View Quote

FYI, if you want to experience a TOTAL eclipse here in Texas in your lifetime, this one is it so you better get outside on April 8th. The next one that can be seen from the contiguous U.S. will be on Aug. 23, 2044 and will only touch three states; after beginning in Greenland and sweeping through Canada, it will end around sunset in Montana, North Dakota and South Dakota.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:30:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I'll be at work to the northwest of san antonio. Full totality area.

Too bad the weather is gonna be cloudy and overcast with a chance of rain.

Going to be a lot of disappointed people traveling here gor a few min of a dark, cloudy day.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 12:32:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By M2K:
Hillsboro is doing a big festival.  Pat Green is playing.  Right in the green.
View Quote

I had originally planned to check out some place in Hillsboro. The plan was to stay at the family farm near Cleburne and drive down to Hillsboro for the eclipse. There's a brand new Bucees in Hillsboro now, too. I'm gonna guess their parking lot is going to be overflowing with people. That plan fell apart pretty quickly a while ago so doesn't look like we'll be doing the eclipse thing.

Even hotels in San Antonio are booked solid. Seems like you'd have to go west of there to see the path of totality. I guess it beats trying to find a place in a podunk town.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 1:30:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Map of AirBnB bookings for Sunday night
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 1:34:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Weather trending better east of Dallas
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 6:23:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Looks like the City of Burnet has some interesting plans. They are talking about closing 29 and 281 or limiting access.

The big parks will be closed. They have large stone blocks stacked next to the gate that will be moved into place. To deter people trying to camp there. The parks close at 10pm to 6am anyway.

Fun times.  

Burnet Rolls up at 10pm other than whataburger and most people from out of state are going to be bored shitless.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:14:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DavidY] [#27]
And if course gas shot up 30 cents just before tens of thousands of (redacted) roll into town to look at clouds
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 12:30:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Hailey Nelson park in Burnet is now posted as closing Today at 3pm till Tuesday.

Link Posted: 4/4/2024 2:01:55 PM EDT
[#29]
And if course gas shot up 30 cents just before tens of thousands of (redacted) roll into town to look at clouds
View Quote

Noticed that too all across Central Texas.

Guess with Solar Panels not generating the refineries will all trip off line causing major fuel generation disruptions...

Or they just want to gouge the tourists...

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 2:44:32 PM EDT
[#30]
I gave up my fully electric lightning because other than my home the closest charging station was 30 miles away in the direction of austin. I wonder how many tesla owners are going to come to a rude awakening when they run down below 30ish miles lol.

I should put up a sign outside my gate electric car charging station 150 bucks an hour.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 3:16:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Bigger_Hammer:

Guess with Solar Panels not generating the refineries will all trip off line causing major fuel generation disruptions...

Bigger_Hammer
View Quote

Or it's just the normal conversion to summer gas
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 4:53:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Gas up 46 cents.

Murphy in the hood is 2.99. QT on the highway is 3.45 overnight.

Not unusual to see a 10% swing, but it definitely spiked for spring break and now this.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 2:49:48 AM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bigger_Hammer:

Bigger_Hammer

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 2:38:24 PM EDT
[#34]
100% high level overcast, but the models are now showing low level cloud cover moving in just for eclipse time.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 4:31:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By NAK:
100% high level overcast, but the models are now showing low level cloud cover moving in just for eclipse time.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/142376/clouds_JPG-3180111.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/142376/aVvzQ7K_700b_jpg-3180108.JPG
View Quote

Another "Want to make God laugh?  Tell Him your plans" moment.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 10:40:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By NAK:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/142376/clouds_JPG-3180111.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/142376/aVvzQ7K_700b_jpg-3180108.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 2:04:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Dallas cancelled solid waste services for today.  I've already had two people call me since midnight (a Dallas suburb) if we're doing the same .
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:30:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 10:32:38 AM EDT
[#39]
cloud cover in frisco.  aztec death whistle standing by...
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 10:35:52 AM EDT
[#40]
well we gona have 55K pissed off reservation holders at Revilly park. Burnet sheriffs office just closed the event due to upcoming storms everyone must leave now.

LOL suckers give us your money
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 11:57:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Not seeing any notable traffic problems except maybe IH 10 going west out of SA.

Originally Posted By mikNtx:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mikNtx:

I need to find a good one, that would be funny.  Neighbor is having a big party.

Originally Posted By shadycoh:
well we gona have 55K pissed off reservation holders at Revilly park. Burnet sheriffs office just closed the event due to upcoming storms everyone must leave now.

LOL suckers give us your money

Such pussies, just post a sign saying "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here".  
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 12:25:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Not seeing any notable traffic problems except maybe IH 10 going west out of SA.

I need to find a good one, that would be funny.  Neighbor is having a big party.

Such pussies, just post a sign saying "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here".  
View Quote

If you saw the people attending that sign is a given.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 12:30:45 PM EDT
[#43]
get out serfs

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/texas-eclipse-festival-in-burnet-canceled-due-severe-weather-risk-event-cancellation-canceled-officials
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 3:45:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Mostly cloudy here near Rockwall until just before totality.  

It got pretty spectacular when the clouds opened up.  The corona and 360 degree sunset was amazing.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 4:03:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Amazing last-minute clearing here in East Texas too.  What a sight!
Had a good party with the neighbors.
Very sorry if people decided to stay home due to the forecast.

Roads still look pretty good.  Small patch of slow on southbound IH 45 south of Corsicana.  IH 10 eastbound might be pretty bad going back to SA.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 4:19:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Unfortunately a whisp of cloud was over that planet (Jupiter?) that was visible near the sun.  My other pics have it but don't show the landscape.  The darkness really surprised me, you really could have been using NVGs LOL.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 4:47:31 PM EDT
[#47]
I got stuck working instead of going to hrt4me’s place. It was really cool to see from my yard.

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Turned out to be way cooler than I had anticipated.

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#49]

Spent a couple days at the inlaws near Canton.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Was that Jupiter? I figured it was a satellite. There was some other little spec of something on the opposite side.

The solar flare was cool for me.

We were in the middle of town, there was dead silence, then applause and cheers across the land - literally. Then more quiet, then the assholes started shooting guns and fireworks into the air. Welcome to Dallas.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top