Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 48
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 12:15:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't wait to see the cost of the courses offered. I saw somewhere a company was advertising for a course that met the standards for this purpose. It was $285 and you needed to bring 500 rounds. So with the cost of the course and the cost of ammo you're looking at almost $500.

And I'm sure NJ will come out and say that you need to do the course annually or biannually.

I'm playing the waiting game for right now until there is more direction. Going to look into and purchase a P365, Hellcat, etc. first.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 12:16:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NZT:
80% or better - ? OK, at what distance? 7 yards? 25 yards? Slow fire? What? - ????
View Quote

I saw the course of fire somewhere, maybe Gun for hire site. It's split between 5, 7, 10, and 25 yards, I think. You'd think it would be in the statute, but it appears to be arbitrary.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 12:20:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KnuckleSandwich] [#3]
Originally Posted By vipersbyms:
I can't wait to see the cost of the courses offered. I saw somewhere a company was advertising for a course that met the standards for this purpose. It was $285 and you needed to bring 500 rounds. So with the cost of the course and the cost of ammo you're looking at almost $500.

And I'm sure NJ will come out and say that you need to do the course annually or biannually.

I'm playing the waiting game for right now until there is more direction. Going to look into and purchase a P365, Hellcat, etc. first.
View Quote

GFH had something up, 150 bucks, 50 rounds. Predatory IMHO. But predatory pricing for NJ gun industry is kind of the gold standard. Nothing quite like kicking gun owners when they're down.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 12:38:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheTallest] [#4]
RTSP in Randolph list their pricing for the CCW qualifying as  $150 with $50 an additional handgun. They limit the amount of guns you can qualify with to two a session. It’s 80% pass or fail. I believe a passing score is 175, but I’m not sure if that’s just for LEOs or if it’s completely different for civilians.

I believe the ranges at which you need to shoot at RTSP are 3, 7, 10 and 15 or 20 yards. Can’t remember the final one. They also require you to bring 50 rounds per gun to qualify.

It’s the same they charge for LEO qualifying I believe.

If you fail the qualifying, you have to sign up and pay again.

They “recommend” you take the drawing from holster and tactical shooting course but it’s not mandatory. You can just sign up for the qualification.

What I plan on doing is going to my range and practice shooting at the distances to qualify so I know what to expect. I’m not sure if it’s timed for speed or if they sit there and scream at you to try and stress you out.

Also, you have to requalify every two years and renew your permit. So every two years you have to fill out the paperwork, get fingerprinted, get references.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 2:17:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fleece-Johnson] [#5]
Bobs in Glassboro posted course of fire. Looks like they have been swamped with calls, i havent been there in years and i wont go back there.

Edit: $100 for qualification.

"Bob's Little Sport Shop... our course is 10 rounds at 10 yards, 20 rounds at 15 yards and 20 rounds at 25 yards with a minimum score of 175 out of 250"

Im looking for a P365 at the moment and wait until this calms down a bit.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 2:45:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By scottc1071:
Bobs in Glassboro posted course of fire. Looks like they have been swamped with calls, i havent been there in years and i wont go back there.

"Bob's Little Sport Shop... our course is 10 rounds at 10 yards, 20 rounds at 15 yards and 20 rounds at 25 yards with a minimum score of 175 out of 250"

View Quote

Interesting.
Draw and fire?
And do you know what the target looks like?
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 2:52:51 PM EDT
[#7]
80% or better - ? OK, at what distance? 7 yards? 25 yards? Slow fire? What? - ????
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
7. REQUIRED   Pass your NJ CCW qualification course with an 80% or better   You will be required to demonstrate safety, familiarity, and accuracy. It is pass or fail. Qualification must be within six (6) months of application. Stay tuned for upcoming qualification times

I assume they want folks to pass the same course as retired officers do.

60 rounds, 48 passing.

Start at 25 yards.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Geralt55:

Interesting.
Draw and fire?
View All Quotes

Interesting.
Draw and fire?

No idea. A friend sent me a link to a Facebook post. It didn’t say.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 4:47:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I was hoping to carry my little Keltec P3AT but I've never tried to shoot it at anything farther than 20 feet.
I'm going to have to practice, I'm not sure I could hit the paper at 75 feet with it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:18:29 AM EDT
[#10]
any word on transportation if you have a concealed carry?  When you get in your car do you have to unload and lock in unreachable area?  What about when you leave the gun in the car because you are entering one of Murphys no gun buildings.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:31:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By captblue1:
any word on transportation if you have a concealed carry?  When you get in your car do you have to unload and lock in unreachable area?  What about when you leave the gun in the car because you are entering one of Murphys no gun buildings.
View Quote

Transportation is the same as if you were LEO. No need to unload and store. But it does not apply to any other firearms you may have with you. So you’d still need to follow the to and from the range etc. if you’ve got other firearms with you.

As for leaving them in the car when entering one of the off-limits locations there’s been no word.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 9:39:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Buddy of mine just qualified at Gun for Hire he was told that whatever ammo you qualify with is what you have to carry. Dumbest fucking thing I’ve ever heard but it is nj.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 9:56:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By TheTallest:
Buddy of mine just qualified at Gun for Hire he was told that whatever ammo you qualify with is what you have to carry. Dumbest fucking thing I’ve ever heard but it is nj.
View Quote

Lmao
I guess if they have adjustable sights on the gun, the law says you can't touch your sights either?
(I'll bet it won't say it in the text of the bill, but it will be a RegulationTM)

Clarence Thomas's decision, that the Bill of Rights applies in ALL 50 states, even states and cities with liberal governors and Mayors, is dragging the alt left kicking and screaming into reality.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 10:23:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Lmao
I guess if they have adjustable sights on the gun, the law says you can't touch your sights either?
(I'll bet it won't say it in the text of the bill, but it will be a RegulationTM)

Clarence Thomas's decision, that the Bill of Rights applies in ALL 50 states, even states and cities with liberal governors and Mayors, is dragging the alt left kicking and screaming into reality.
View All Quotes

Lmao

Yup, I said these leftist states are throwing a tantrum over this. It’s going to be interesting. I don’t plan on qualifying until the middle to the end of next month. I want to go practice some.

But my HD am for my night stand gun is critic defense. That shit is $1+ a round.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 1:05:13 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Was it a Q target? Anything inside the line counts?
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 1:34:09 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

Not sure about what kind of target. He did say anything inside the line counted. He did also say a bunch of people failed.

I just assumed they were silhouette targets so I ordered a bunch to practice with.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 2:27:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Geralt55] [#17]

Not sure about what kind of target. He did say anything inside the line counted. He did also say a bunch of people failed.

I just assumed they were silhouette targets so I ordered a bunch to practice with.
View All Quotes

Is the farthest distance 20-25yards?
That distance with a pistol (under the stress of "Oh my gahd I'm going to be able to carry?!?!") can be hard for people.

If they thought they were going to walk into their local gym and start bench pressing easily, I could see if someone who hasn't shot in a LONG time, doesn't dryfire, is trying to shoot a small carry pistol at the far range?

Easy to fuck that up.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 5:03:16 PM EDT
[#18]

That distance with a pistol (under the stress of "Oh my gahd I'm going to be able to carry?!?!") can be hard for people.

If they thought they were going to walk into their local gym and start bench pressing easily, I could see if someone who hasn't shot in a LONG time, doesn't dryfire, is trying to shoot a small carry pistol at the far range?

Easy to fuck that up.
View All Quotes

Easy to fuck that up.

RTSP is closer to me than GFH so I'm going to RT. They are 15 yards final distance. I have enough trouble shooting pistols at any distance let alone 15. I'm going to practice for a month or two to see if I can improve. I ordered a bunch silhouette targets just so I have something to reference.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 5:37:55 PM EDT
[#19]

RTSP is closer to me than GFH so I'm going to RT. They are 15 yards final distance. I have enough trouble shooting pistols at any distance let alone 15. I'm going to practice for a month or two to see if I can improve. I ordered a bunch silhouette targets just so I have something to reference.
View All Quotes

Easy to fuck that up.

IMHO snap caps and dry fire seems to help people with trigger control a lot, and that's like half the ballgame for pistols

Your pistols also might like some bullets more than others
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 7:23:30 PM EDT
[#20]

IMHO snap caps and dry fire seems to help people with trigger control a lot, and that's like half the ballgame for pistols

View All Quotes

Easy to fuck that up.

I mess around with snap caps a lot. I've also been eyeing the MantisX thing for a while.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 9:21:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Shoot On in Lakewood is using the PTC HQC2 for their CCW course, distances are  weapon retention at the target maybe 1-2 yards, 7, 15, 25 yards with mag changes and kneeling, 25 yard is using barricade and support hand shooting, 50 rounds total, each stage is timed.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 10:59:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Have you all seen this from Evan Nappen?

https://www.evannappen.com/how-to-get-your-nj-carry-permit/

Link Posted: 7/2/2022 11:57:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By LUGERMAN:
Have you all seen this from Evan Nappen?

https://www.evannappen.com/how-to-get-your-nj-carry-permit/

View Quote

I posted this same article in one of the threads a few days ago, can't remember which one though.

So, I have a question. I'm looking the paperwork over and partially filling it out because I'm not entirely sure I'm even going through with applying what with all the bullshit commie phil is about to drop on us this week. But...if I do proceed since I don't have an actual police department and have to go directly through the njsp the "municipality" code on the top right of the form is that the actual township I live in or do I put the njsp ORI number there? Instructions like with everything nj are not very clear.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 6:35:18 PM EDT
[#24]

I posted this same article in one of the threads a few days ago, can't remember which one though.

So, I have a question. I'm looking the paperwork over and partially filling it out because I'm not entirely sure I'm even going through with applying what with all the bullshit commie phil is about to drop on us this week. But...if I do proceed since I don't have an actual police department and have to go directly through the njsp the "municipality" code on the top right of the form is that the actual township I live in or do I put the njsp ORI number there? Instructions like with everything nj are not very clear.
View Quote

The njsp ORI number is the only thing that makes sense and it's consistent with how we do the permit to purchase pistols. That's my understanding of it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Justin_Sain:

The njsp ORI number is the only thing that makes sense and it's consistent with how we do the permit to purchase pistols. That's my understanding of it.
View All Quotes

So what you're saying is I'd pit the ORI number?
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 2:27:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bullseye100] [#26]

Interesting.
Draw and fire?
View All Quotes

Interesting.
Draw and fire?

Lots of rumors and shit flying around here in South Jersey, probably up north too, but Bob's is using B27 targets and the distance quoted above is what a friend of mine just fired there.
I still haven't heard (and no one can tell me) where Bob's got their info that their qualification course will do the job once this is all worked out.  I do know for a fact that Bob's has been running guys through their course and taking their money. They are booked through July and haven't opened August bookings that I know of.

Speaking of money, Bob's charged my friend $100 for the first gun and $20 for the second.  He fired both guns the same day.

I belong to a private club and I'm an NRA Pistol instructor as are a bunch of other members.  Our club is going to hold qualification classes once we are POSITIVE about the required course of fire.  There's talk about taking non-members but I'm not positive about that yet.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 9:39:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Bullseye100:

Lots of rumors and shit flying around here in South Jersey, probably up north too, but Bob's is using B27 targets and the distance quoted above is what a friend of mine just fired there.
I still haven't heard (and no one can tell me) where Bob's got their info that their qualification course will do the job once this is all worked out.  I do know for a fact that Bob's has been running guys through their course and taking their money. They are booked through July and haven't opened August bookings that I know of.

Speaking of money, Bob's charged my friend $100 for the first gun and $20 for the second.  He fired both guns the same day.

I belong to a private club and I'm an NRA Pistol instructor as are a bunch of other members.  Our club is going to hold qualification classes once we are POSITIVE about the required course of fire.  There's talk about taking non-members but I'm not positive about that yet.
View All Quotes

Interesting.
Draw and fire?

Interesting, so with no "State standard", we're kind of in the wild west here.

I guess what's tough is, I can imagine guys who were thinking of carrying Smith J-frames, trying to hit a 25yard shot? Yikes.
Add draw and fire?  "Uh oh".

Guys with gutter-snipe style sight-pictures, distance and small targets could be a challenge for them.
Are those suitable carry-pieces? Within a certain range they're carried every day in the 43 other United States (vs the 7 anti-gun coastal-confederacy states).
But in this state it's looking like we're going to select for guys who can really shoot, and platforms that can stretch out (relative to handgun platforms).

I couldn't imagine the seething from the NJ media, if a mass-shooting was stopped by some old fudd carrying his S&W KFrame .38, with LRN handloads, cause the fucker sank a 40yard shot with his target sights on a gang-member with an AK.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 2:21:12 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

Are you in SJ? What club do you belong to?
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 2:12:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 9:24:38 AM EDT
[#30]
I don't think it's a stretch to assume that it's going to be the NJSP course of fire, you need 80% to pass, so by the math, if you suck you could miss your shots from the 25 and still pass.

Link Posted: 7/22/2022 10:06:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Some other pertinent reading material you may or may not want to read.

https://www.state.nj.us/lps/dcj/pdfs/dcj-firearms.pdf
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 1:51:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Some other pertinent reading material you may or may not want to read.

https://www.state.nj.us/lps/dcj/pdfs/dcj-firearms.pdf
View Quote

What's funny is that ranges are often sticklers about "rapid fire", but this whole course of fire is pretty much rapid fire
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 7:01:23 PM EDT
[#33]
When can i put in for my out of state one is what i want to know. Im sure they wont do reciprocity with anyone.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 7:21:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By UrbancommandoX:
When can i put in for my out of state one is what i want to know. Im sure they wont do reciprocity with anyone.
View Quote

I believe you can do it now.

You'll have to drive to NJ and go to a NJSP barracks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 11:35:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By VooDoo3dfx:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By VooDoo3dfx:

The question is what about the shooting and qualifying? Will they take my sc training cert as training? I didnt have to shoot for my VA or Utah cwps.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 2:32:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Has fnj even issued any permits since the ruling? I see Maryland has started issuing but has anyone that's applied in nj since the ruling been issued one?

I have a customer who applied a few days after the ruling and hasn't heard anything.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 4:24:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Has fnj even issued any permits since the ruling? I see Maryland has started issuing but has anyone that's applied in nj since the ruling been issued one?

I have a customer who applied a few days after the ruling and hasn't heard anything.
View Quote
Gun for Hire sent out an email on the 11th that they went to an NJ court on Friday and saw several carry permits being granted.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 5:25:30 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

The state has 60 days to grant/deny - you can be sure they'll take all of that time.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 6:11:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Tom488:

The state has 60 days to grant/deny - you can be sure they'll take all of that time.
View All Quotes

They’ll take more than that.  Count on it.

There’s an NJ court decision out there (don’t remember if it was Supreme Court or Appellate Division) that basically said the statutory deadlines for firearms applications are not hard deadlines. Even though the application is supposed to be considered approved if the deadline isn’t met, they said there’s a strong governmental interest in not granting applications until they’ve had all the time they need to make a decision.

That was just for FPID cards. And it’s not unusual for those approvals to take 6 months or more.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 6:59:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheTallest] [#40]

View All Quotes

nj doesn't care about timelines, deadlines, people's rights or the constitution.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 7:31:30 PM EDT
[#41]

nj doesn't care about timelines, deadlines, people's rights or the constitution.
View Quote

Yes - except for one little sticky point in the law.  See, for the longest time, permits to carry were only for the well-connected, so the laws in place favor them.  Now, thanks largely in part to Justice Thomas (and, only to a slightly-lesser degree, President Trump), they now apply to us:

2C:58-4 says, in part, "If the application is not approved by the chief police officer or the superintendent within 60 days of filing, it shall be deemed to have been approved, unless the applicant agrees to an extension of time in writing."

Link Posted: 7/23/2022 10:19:51 PM EDT
[#42]

Yes - except for one little sticky point in the law.  See, for the longest time, permits to carry were only for the well-connected, so the laws in place favor them.  Now, thanks largely in part to Justice Thomas (and, only to a slightly-lesser degree, President Trump), they now apply to us:

2C:58-4 says, in part, "If the application is not approved by the chief police officer or the superintendent within 60 days of filing, it shall be deemed to have been approved, unless the applicant agrees to an extension of time in writing."

View All Quotes

Yes, except you're still without a permit to carry. Just because the law says it's approved after 60 days means nothing because they still hold all the cards. Maybe I'm a bit cynical but I don't trust this state at all.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 5:35:04 AM EDT
[#43]

Yes, except you're still without a permit to carry. Just because the law says it's approved after 60 days means nothing because they still hold all the cards. Maybe I'm a bit cynical but I don't trust this state at all.
View Quote

i'm with you on this.

IMO, they're going to drag out telling us what NEEDS to be done to get one, just so people CAN'T get them.

has anyone seen solid proof of the requirements yet?
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 11:52:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheTallest] [#44]
Originally Posted By Sc0tt:

i'm with you on this.

IMO, they're going to drag out telling us what NEEDS to be done to get one, just so people CAN'T get them.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Sc0tt:

i'm with you on this.

I even see the state has made finding the forms difficult. The NJSP website redirects to the state website. If you go to say RTSP's website and go to their CCW page and scroll down to where you can get the CCW form it takes you to the states main page same for the mental health form. Hell just going to the State Police's website redirects to the states website.

A buddy of mine said they changed the application again but I can't seem to find it now.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#45]

The question is what about the shooting and qualifying? Will they take my sc training cert as training? I didnt have to shoot for my VA or Utah cwps.
View Quote

I'm skeptical until I see one with my own eyes, but someone from work and someone from the barbershop both claim to know people that got them.

Believe 1/2 what you see and none of what you hear is always applicable. Maybe, but I'd think we'd have a member here waiving one around in victory by now.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 11:03:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Qual class I was in today said a few permit issued in Passiac and Sussex. Said Middlesex judge in charge of permits was out on extended leave (death in family) and stand in not approving anything. Also said Monmouth not approving anything until more guidance from AG.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 11:11:35 PM EDT
[#47]
I don't think it's a stretch to assume that it's going to be the NJSP course of fire, you need 80% to pass, so by the math, if you suck you could miss your shots from the 25 and still pass.

https://i1.wp.com/rifleshooter.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/NJSP-HQC1-Table.png?ssl=1
View Quote

Very similar to what Union Hill (ROC) runs. The barricade shots they just had us lean to one side and take the shots. Surprising number of failures in class I was in. Got to watch a group go before me and looked liked most only barely ever shot in their life. Timed shots screwed a bunch of people. I assume a lot of limp wristing too due to all the failure to feeds. 25 yard shots I thought were the easiest due to the amount of time given. I have now readjusted what I thought the ranges definition of "rapid fire" is and will be having a lot more fun in the future.

Got a 90% BTW.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:46:04 AM EDT
[#48]

I'm skeptical until I see one with my own eyes, but someone from work and someone from the barbershop both claim to know people that got them.

Believe 1/2 what you see and none of what you hear is always applicable. Maybe, but I'd think we'd have a member here waiving one around in victory by now.
View All Quotes

One of the FFLs I go to in Sussex says there’s been a lot of permits issued in Sussex County. I don’t believe him.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#49]
I google nj/guns on Reddit to see what they're saying. Sounds like no one has received any. The judges are sitting on all of the applications until there's more directions and requirements solidified.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 7:56:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By NJTac:
I google nj/guns on Reddit to see what they're saying. Sounds like no one has received any. The judges are sitting on all of the applications until there's more directions and requirements solidified.
View Quote

So much for “60 days and it’s approved”.

A right delayed is a right denied. The Supreme Court should’ve broken it off in their asses and ruled that it’s constitutional carry. Now these commie states are playing even more fuck-fuck games. ‘So we have to issue carry permits now. Well, we’ll just sit on the applications until we feel like it.’
Page / 48
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top