Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/9/2009 4:51:01 PM EDT
I know there's quite a bit of interest in the Appleseed shoot that Pioneer is hosting in June.  Figured I'd start a thread for it.

I have a few questions that hopefully someone knows the answers to:

1) Website says 400 rounds for the 2 days.  I plan on bring 500 .223.  (Thought about bring a .22, but my Marlin 60 is a tube fed gun with crap iron sights and no sling mount points.)

2) I am hoping handloaded ammunition is okay?  (Cause, TBH, I can't afford 500 rounds of factory .223, never mind actually finding 500 rounds of .223 right now...)

3) For Pioneer specifically, are we going to get to shoot at 'real' yardage out to 500 yards, or is it all at 25 yards with simulated-size targets?  I know the course is all about the training to manipulate the rifle, but if there's no real long range shooting, I'll probably just go out for the 'training day' on Saturday and would reconsider using my 22.

Link Posted: 5/9/2009 6:32:19 PM EDT
[#1]
A 10/22 with Tech Sights, sling swivels and a US .mil type silent sling is an excellent way to go. It will cost you bit more now for all that stuff but you get a really kewl new gun.
10/22 225.00
Tech sights 70.00
Sling swivels 15.00
Sling 10.00
total around 320.00 vs. how much for 500rds of .223?

ETA....
Or a 22lr adapter for an AR15, use cheap ammo and some should be good enough to qualify.
Link Posted: 5/9/2009 6:40:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Pioneer does not have anywhere to shoot past 200 yards.  It should be a fun event.
Link Posted: 5/9/2009 8:03:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm planning to bring my AR and the 22 conversion kit for it.  I am considering ordering Tech Sights for the 10/22...
Link Posted: 5/9/2009 10:44:25 PM EDT
[#4]
cool, thanks for the info.  I still have a lot to think about.  I'm trying to do it cheap, and I already have the AR's and Ammo for them.  I just don't want to 'waste' the .223 at 25 yards...but, as mentioned I don't think my 22 rifle would be up to the task without a lot of work.  Although...Marlins have a lot of accessories...maybe a new stock and sights for it and I can squeak by without too much damage to my wallet....
Link Posted: 5/9/2009 11:34:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I see they have Tech Sights for the Marlin 60.  Hmmmm....swing swivels would be easy enough to add to the wood stock....

Any reason one would need 'need' a box mag?  Cause, other wise,  I might as well upgrade the Marlin with those sites.  Then, I can shoot both calibers if I want....
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 2:29:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 4:12:36 PM EDT
[#7]
The shoot I went to there were two fellers using tube fed rifles. the firing prep commands were a bit different for them but it worked out well for them.
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 4:18:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The shoot I went to there were two fellers using tube fed rifles. the firing prep commands were a bit different for them but it worked out well for them.

Cool.  I guess I'm just afraid of being That Guy with The Wrong Gear.  I need to get my Marlin out to the range ASAP and see if it is as accurate as I remember.  If so, it might convince me it's worthy of some upgrades.  Otherwise, I might just go with the AR 22 conv kit, since I 'do' more with my AR's in general, that would allow me to work with them more often.
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 5:00:24 PM EDT
[#9]
*casts Thread Resurrection*

Well, I signed up for the two days today, and ran out to Cabela's to pick up some more 223 bullets to load up.  Decided I'll just bring my two AR's and ammo, and not mess with trying to upgrade my .22 right now.  

(Oh, they had 900 rd cases of Fed XMyaddayadda for...$648.  Yeeouch....)
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 5:04:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 12:07:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm only going to be able to make sunday, do you guys think it would be worth it for the second day?

PTk
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 2:06:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm only going to be able to make sunday, do you guys think it would be worth it for the second day?

PTk

Well, if I understand it right, Saturday is the Training, and Sunday is the Qualification.  So, I suppose it would boil down to what you want out of the weekend, and/or if you have previous precision rifle training.

But, I dunno if they have a 'crash-course' on Sunday that would be beneficial or not if you missed Saturday.  It also sounds like getting the Qualification is hard.  (Most of the stuff I've read said only 10-12% Qualify.)

Link Posted: 5/28/2009 5:40:07 PM EDT
[#13]
hmmmm.....I guess I'll have to give them a call and find out what I should do.  

PTK
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 2:06:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Roll Call for this weekend?  (I'm in, both days.)

After I get some house stuff done like laundry, bills, and yard mowing, I'll be hitting the reloading bench to crank out a few more hundred rounds.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 10:39:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm in both days.  Planning on 10/22 for most of the time, AR for distance shooting.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 10:04:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 11:20:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm still waffling.  

I spent way too much building a 10/22 suited just for this so I really ought to go.  But I'm fairly broke right now and I'd need to go buy even more gear before this weekend.  Need elbow pads, carpet to lay on, notebook, etc.  It's gonna be hot out there.  It's cool inside and the fridge is close with cool beverages.

I have nothing else planned to do that weekend.  I want to go.  I need to go.  I should go.

But I'm still waffling.  

I've got a shooting mat you can borrow since I won't be able to go if you'd like Eric

PTK
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 12:52:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm still waffling.  

I spent way too much building a 10/22 suited just for this so I really ought to go.  But I'm fairly broke right now and I'd need to go buy even more gear before this weekend.  Need elbow pads, carpet to lay on, notebook, etc.  It's gonna be hot out there.  It's cool inside and the fridge is close with cool beverages.

I have nothing else planned to do that weekend.  I want to go.  I need to go.  I should go.

But I'm still waffling.  

I hear ya man.  My shooting mat is probably going to be a piece of cardboard.  LoL.  I did get a sling ordered, a blackhawk one complete with QD Sling swivels.  It shows up and I discover that the swivels are sewn into the sling!  Great, so it's literally worthless to me.  I guess I'll stop by the parents and borrow a leather slings off of one of the Enfields.  I'll be shooting .223 the whole weekend....and as I was loading up another few hundred rounds last night, I was half hoping that we don't actually shoot 400 rounds, cause then I'll have to buy more expensive components.

I've pretty much decided to stop all competition shooting, and do more training.  (I've determined that I suck, and the shoots are frustrating because of that.)  I'd like to do a DVC course later this summer, but ... factory ammo costs will probably prevent that from happening...

Hope you can make it out, Eric!
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 2:47:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 4:39:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Oh alright.  Peer pressure is a bitch!

Poly, I will take you up on the offer of that shooting mat.

ARinKCMO, I'd be surprised of the Appleseed folks don't bring some of their cheap GI slings with them to sell.  IMO they'd be foolish not to.   If not you can certainly borrow the other one I bought when I ordered 2 of them.  Do you have some 1 1/4" QD swivels?

My A2 has sling swivels on it.  My Varminter doesn't have a front (Although it does have 2 swivel studs on it...), so I was hoping to kill two birds with one stone with that blackhawk sling (which will now probably go on my Mossberg).  (I have just used a 2 pt SAW sling in the past when I needed a sling, but I don't think that would be quite good enough for this.)  That's a good point about them maybe bringing slings to sell.  I was going to hit a couple milsurp stores/cabelas/basspro this week to pick one up.  Hmmmm, or I will borrow yours.  thanks!

(This post brought to you by excessive ().  ()  Keeping stuff separated for over 120 years!)
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:38:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I found a (hopefully) suitable sling at Denny's, or whatever they're called now.  It's what I thought the Blackhawk would be:  QD Swivels that you can take out, one-hand adjustable, even has a handy little loop for fingers to assist in the resizing.  Only downside is it's in RealTreeMossyOakCornWheatGrassSugarPops camo or something like that, instead of just black, but hey....beggers can't choose.  I just hate having to show up someplace knowing I'm missing an important item...

Anyway...it's just about here!  Ammo is loaded (and passed a mini-SHTF scenerio in my flooded basement), tonight will be actually packing all the crap into one of my Bug Out Boxes.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:53:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:55:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Congrats Eric, on your impressive accomplishment today!  Good Job.  See you in the morning.....I may have to be wheeled in on a gurney, but I will be there.  Now I am going to go clean mud off my gun and gear.....
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:30:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Congrats Eric, on your impressive accomplishment today!  Good Job.  See you in the morning.....I may have to be wheeled in on a gurney, but I will be there.  Now I am going to go clean mud off my gun and gear.....

so what does eric get congrats for?  did he make rifleman right off the bat?

PTK
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:56:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:14:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Talk those guys into coming back for another round for me Eric!  I need to earn one of those fancy rifleman patches

Note to self: Self, cut piece of plastic slightly larger than shooting mat to inrease dry area, store with shooting mat

How long did it take for your carpet to get soaked thru eric?  Looks like you guys had a long, wet day!  I had a gruelling day of playing with 1 year +1day old niece, taking pictures and eating cupcakes  wouldn't have missed it for the world though
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:27:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:58:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Good pics Eric, got a few of me even!  (My camera stayed in the car all day.)

Oh man....sore sore today....especially a section of my back, probably from having my trigger knee up in prone.

Radar and forecast shows rain for pretty much all dang day.  I have my motorcycle raingear packed, and a couple extra trashbags to go along with the tarps.  If yesterday was muddy, well today well be more so.

I'm motivated today!  I know I can do much much better than I did yesterday, so I can only improve from here!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:04:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Eric, we need pics of the rifle too
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:35:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Just got home.

Shot pretty much 400 rounds of ammo over the two days.  I am very sore and tired.  I learned a metric shit ton of information to practice (and they were nice enough to give me a few of the various targets).  Glad to say, while I am still far far from scoring Rifleman, my shooting greatly improved.

One of my favorite things was we shot a string of 5 shots with OUR EYES CLOSED!  It was a NPOA exercise.  I figured, hey if I get two shots on the paper (8.5x11) I'll be happy.  I walk downrange to see all 5 shots hit paper, 3 of them right near the star.  So, 3 good totally blind hits, and then I lost my NPOA, but still close enough for gov't work.

Already looking forward to getting back out to the range to keep practicing.  But, I need to do lots of stretching and dry-practice in the positions before I do to much more.

In closing, I'll just say I never thought using a sling would help that much, and I never thought shooting at 25 meters would be so friggin challenging!!

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:02:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That is a wicked shot of clover!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:45:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Great pics, Eric!  You managed to make ARinKCMO look like a zombie in every shot.  :)

Everyone needs to get out to one of these.  You cannot get more value for your training dollar than $70 for two days of rifle marksmanship instruction.  I was close to shooting Rifleman after two days of instruction and have many things I need to practice before the next one.  I will definitely be attending further shoots.

Lessons learned:  
 1907 leather slings are the bomb.  VTAC Long Range Marksmanship sling also worked very well.
 Length of pull on the rifle stock is very important.  My 10/22 carbine stock worked fine for plinking tin cans and clay pigeons, does not work for repeatable precision shooting.  
 After 1.5 days of instruction on my 10/22, I got out my AR for the last couple target strings and was able to shoot better groups with the VTAC sling than I had been able to off of a bench.
 Correct prone, sitting and standing firing positions.
 Lots of details regarding the engagements around Lexington and Concord.

Mysteries:
 What's a Rice Paddy Squat?  :)
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:00:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:14:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:28:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Good job E1CM, Simple Rifle, nothing really "Fancy" about her...
Just shows it might just have more to do with the "Rifleman" than the "Rifle"
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:48:01 PM EDT
[#37]
how often are these done?

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:53:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Great pics, Eric!  You managed to make ARinKCMO look like a zombie in every shot.  :)

I was suprised that ARinKCMO could even stand to be out in all that sunlight with all the 'daywalkers'
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:20:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:56:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:56:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:57:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:57:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:57:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:58:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:58:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:58:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:59:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:59:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:00:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top