Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2021 11:04:16 PM EDT
Anyone talk on SSB LSB here?  CB radio.  Just wondering if that is still a thing in Arizona.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 1:43:22 AM EDT
[#1]
/me looks at his 1980s radioshack realistic 3 channel hand held CB with changable crystals... NOPE.  

Should I get one?  Been contemplating getting a CB again just to have.

Just got me one of them baofengs and an antenna too.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 12:56:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I swapped my cb for a pair of boafengs (I do wish any of the non-Chinese ham radios could transmit on MURS). Until I get my ham license, I transmit on MURS but can use it as a police scanner as well.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 6:25:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
/me looks at his 1980s radioshack realistic 3 channel hand held CB with changable crystals... NOPE.  

Should I get one?  Been contemplating getting a CB again just to have.

View Quote

This brings back some memories (as I look at my 1975 Midland 23 channel aluminum-frame model).  When we moved to AZ, 30 years before it became fashionable to do so, I was in temporary quarters  as my house sold and my family could catch up.  Money was tight.  So my FIL brought his 5th wheel RV from the Rockies for us to live in for a while.  When he arrived, he assumed I would be listening for him on the CB.  I wasn't.  But he was informally running a 100 watt bilinear amplifier. While I was on a landline phone a couple of miles away, I could actually hear him trying to raise me on the CB!  

There are places where CBs are essential.  The Dalton Highway in Alaska is one of them.  Also fun.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 1:58:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
While I was on a landline phone a couple of miles away, I could actually hear him trying to raise me on the CB!
View Quote

My mom used to complain that she could hear me on the TV.  Brings back memories...
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#5]
As recently as about 10 years ago I know there were a group of guys in the south phoenix area that
were fairly active, but it sounded like they were all from the southern US and brought the hobby with them.

No idea now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top