Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2022 9:18:30 AM EDT
Not looking to, just curious about how low gun shops actually pay?  I'm guessing like 1/2 value at best?
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 9:23:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 9:33:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 10:35:09 AM EDT
[#3]
When you stop and think about all of the expenses that a brick & mortar local gun store has to deal with, you'll realize that paying half of retail for a used gun is the way you'll have to do it if you're going to stay in business.

Think about it. The dealer has to pay:
Rent or mortgage payment;
Employee salaries;
Social Security tax on wages paid;
Utilities (phone, heat, electric power, telephone, computer access, etc.)
Personal property tax;
Real estate tax;
Business license tax;
State and federal income tax on profits;
Liability insurance;
Fire insurance (covers other hazards also);
Insurance on store stock.

I've probably left out a couple of things, but you get the idea.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 2:29:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#5]
That's good to hear. There are a lot of guys here that piss and moan about the prices at their local gun store, along with transfer fees, etc. So they buy all of their stuff on line.
Then all of a sudden their LGS closes up and goes out of business, and these same guys piss and moan about that.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All of that is why I, personally, never resent or get angry about transfer and consignment fees. I know we're all different, and thank God welcome to our own opinions, but I'm not one that's gonna fuss or drive further because one dealer might charge $15 for a transfer, and another $35. They have to make a living too. And I'm thankful they are there and willing to do it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When you stop and think about all of the expenses that a brick & mortar local gun store has to deal with, you'll realize that paying half of retail for a used gun is the way you'll have to do it if you're going to stay in business.

Think about it. The dealer has to pay:
Rent or mortgage payment;
Employee salaries;
Social Security tax on wages paid;
Utilities (phone, heat, electric power, telephone, computer access, etc.)
Personal property tax;
Real estate tax;
Business license tax;
State and federal income tax on profits;
Liability insurance;
Fire insurance (covers other hazards also);
Insurance on store stock.

I've probably left out a couple of things, but you get the idea.
All of that is why I, personally, never resent or get angry about transfer and consignment fees. I know we're all different, and thank God welcome to our own opinions, but I'm not one that's gonna fuss or drive further because one dealer might charge $15 for a transfer, and another $35. They have to make a living too. And I'm thankful they are there and willing to do it.

For me it's mostly just being pissed that I have to pay a transfer tax and be inconvenienced at all. I'm pretty firm on the shall not be infringed part of the 2A.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 1:01:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That's good to hear. There are a lot of guys here that piss and moan about the prices at their local gun store, along with transfer fees, etc. So they buy all of their stuff on line.
Then all of a sudden their LGS closes up and goes out of business, and these same guys piss and moan about that.
View Quote

Exactly!
I'd go to my LGS before anywhere else.
A buddy of mine goes to the Big Boys just to save a couple of bucks on ammo.
Drives me crazy, tried to tell him since forever, you're cutting your own throat doing that, support your local hometown shops.
Him: "I'm glad you're so rich."

I've given up on people, just no reasoning with them.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 4:18:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Don’t do it. Every store will give you pennies on the dollar. Not even friends with FFLs, in my experience once money is involved they will take advantage of you, it’s just a matter of when.

The only reason to do that is if you are moving to a ban state and have no other options to liquidate a collection.

Sell it yourself on gunbroker/VAGT.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 7:19:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I know a couple of people who work at GT.  They would tell you to sell your firearms yourself b/c GT isn't going to give you crap for them.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:14:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Also, when Cabela's first opened in my area, and they had this grand, fully stocked Gun Library, I quizzed them on it, and at least at that time, the library dude indicated their buy rate was abysmal - like half or less than what it would sell for, IMO.
View Quote

nope

Cabelas operated on a 35% margin pre cooties,  now it is 30%

+/-,  

Greentop reportedly (I have never sold to them, but have bought some stuff) offers less most of the time,

and supposedly has a glut right now,

most shops (including my business) charge 20% for consignments,  on firearms,  

however I prefer to buy outright over consign
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 7:45:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Don’t do it. Every store will give you pennies on the dollar. Not even friends with FFLs, in my experience once money is involved they will take advantage of you, it’s just a matter of when.

The only reason to do that is if you are moving to a ban state and have no other options to liquidate a collection.

Sell it yourself on gunbroker/VAGT.
View Quote

I'm not, I just browse their inventory online and wondered how bad people took hits financially on them
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top