Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2021 1:05:08 PM EDT
Thinking about signing up for the August match and was curious.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 5:29:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Sure, whatcha interested in knowing?
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 10:21:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Mostly about logistics on the range between stages.  I'm not new to shooting matches or long range matches but this would be my first PRS.  So I'm wondering if it's like highpower or 3 gun and I should bring my cart?  Do rifles need to be cased when transported between stages?  Or could I roll with a backpack and rifle on a sling with a chamber indicator?

After reading a couple "My first PRS" articles I think I have all of the basics covered.  I'll be shooting my TRG-22, have two 10 round mags, 175 grain loads so I think that puts me safely in the "Tactical" division.  Fortune cookie bag, TRG bipod, sling, good zero and dope.  Binoculars to watch other shooters.  

Do I need a third magazine? Do I need a way to carry them other than pockets? Bring a folding chair?
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 2:24:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Good questions. Here’s what you’ll find out.

Weapons transportation is up to you. As long as you’re safe no one will care how you elect to carry your rifle around, whether it’s slung, cased, shouldered, or portered via strollers.

Most guys will just shoulder their rifle muzzle up and walk over to the next stage. Each stage will have a weapons staging area that you can set your rifle down until it’s your turn to fire.  Most will leave their rifle in the staging area propped up by their bipod.

Depending which stage you’re headed to can make a huge difference in the amount of ground you have to walk. Some stages are 10 yards apart and others hundreds. So bringing a cart/stroller isn’t a bad idea. More and more guys have been using carts just because they carry a ton of needless shit.

What to bring to your first match

-empty chamber flag

-Minimum of two 10rd mags is suggested. There’s usually one unlimited round stage so having higher cap/multiple mags can help. If you have a 3rd mag bring it just in case one malfunctions.

- plan on bringing 100-120 rds of ammo. Have your dope and weapon zero’d ahead of time as there will be no opportunity to do so there.

-bring a game changer style bag- sounds like you’re good to go there

-bipod

- something to write your dope on and something to write with. Sharpie and blue painters tape is perfect and simple. Clipboard is a nice to have item.

-sunblock, ears, and eye pro is suggested. Water will be provided usually but you’ll need a bottle to pour it into.

Keep it as simple as possible, the more stuff you bring means the more stuff you have to haul around to each stage. Most guys in your squad will lend gear to you if you let them know you’re new.

Have fun

Link Posted: 7/23/2021 2:30:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Perfect.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 3:20:45 PM EDT
[#5]
There.  All signed up.  Convenient that it's so close to Kettle Moraine.  I'd much rather camp over night for $27 than spend on a hotel room.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 10:24:27 AM EDT
[#6]
This has peaked my interest...link to event?
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 2:24:16 PM EDT
[#7]
If you go here Harv you'll see the blue Aug 14th link to register. There's a sample match course of fire at the bottom.

https://prschallenge.com/wprsc/match-schedule/

Link Posted: 7/24/2021 4:29:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks fun, Match fee a little to steep for me, but I might have to revisit this next year. Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 5:38:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll try and give an AAR.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 9:00:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Well I had a blast Saturday.  Since the remaining matches have membership/attendance requirements to sign up I won't be back until next year, but I'll definitely be back next year.

Things went kind of how I expected, it's run more like a 3 gun shoot than a high power match.  I don't think I've been to anything outside of a 100 bird trap shoot that had as many people there, there were 10 squads of 10 shooting (minus a couple no shows) but it went smoothly and there wasn't too much waiting around.  The stages were challenging but not impossible, well, the mover at 400 yards from a pitched roof was impossible for me but they were entertaining problems to solve.  I learned a lot.  I understand why PRS guys all shoot heavy 6mms now.  My relatively lightweight TRG in 308 shooting 175s bucked wind quite nicely, but when I missed I rarely knew why because unless I was prone I couldn't keep the scope on target through the shot.  When there's no feedback from a miss it's hard to make a correction.

The most challenging thing for me was finding targets.  Being used to well defined, high contrast targets, it was tough to glass with binos, identify landmarks and then transfer that to when I got behind the gun.  I did poorly on a couple stages I should have been able to clear or nearly clear (like stage 10 was just 10 targets at the same range progressively smaller in size, all 800 yards, wind was very light and it was shot from bipod prone) but I burned a good 30 seconds of my 90 zooming in and out with my scope trying to find them because I'd used a break in the tree line as a landmark that was nearly identical in appearance to another break in the tree line

Now I've got a Bartlein 6mm blank on the way to build a 6mm Dasher on for next year.

Very happy with how the TRG and Leupold Mk5 performed throughout the day.  Now that I've been familiarized with some stages I can see what I should practice doing at home as well.  (fuck tank traps and pitched roofs )

Everyone I met was awesome and otherwise helpful.  Next time instead of a backpack I think I'm going to just bring a 5 gallon bucket so I have something to sit on.  Also I don't quite understand the obsession with tripod mounted binoculars for spotting, I'm going to bring my smaller Kowa next time and use that instead of my binos.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 10:29:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Glad you had fun. As far as the bino thing goes, less eye strain, greater depth of view, and can still see trace relatively easy.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 10:42:22 AM EDT
[#12]
If you have any questions regarding dashers hit me up. I’ve run the Norma dasher and lapua dasher respectively so if you have any questions I’m always here.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 11:41:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have any questions regarding dashers hit me up. I've run the Norma dasher and lapua dasher respectively so if you have any questions I'm always here.
View Quote
Ok what's the difference?  The BR case you start with?  I was planning to buy a reamer to Bartlein's print but changing the freebore from .2705 to .2730.  Freebore is .130 and the .200 body diameter is .4714.

Also planned to use Peterson Dasher brass.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 12:19:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ok what's the difference?  The BR case you start with?  I was planning to buy a reamer to Bartlein's print but changing the freebore from .2705 to .2730.  Freebore is .130 and the .200 body diameter is .4714.

Also planned to use Peterson Dasher brass.
View Quote

There’s not a huge difference between lapua vs Norma Dasher. Basically the Norma version maintains the longer neck of the BR case that is normally lost when forming lapua dasher. I switched to the lapua chamber because brass was more readily available vs the Norma dasher. The only thing the Norma had going for it at the time was no need to fire/hydro form. Now days you can just buy dasher brass which is awesome. I’ve got 500pcs of Peterson to try out for next season.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 12:49:51 PM EDT
[#15]
What are you shooting for projectiles?  Seems like 6mm is the redheaded stepchild of bullet availability right now.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 2:21:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Berger 105 hybrids are my go to bullets. Pre pandemic they were fairly cheap and plentiful and they’re pretty easy to get tuned. Now days you kinda take what you can get.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 2:34:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I've got a spool of lead wire and a box of 22 cases with the rim rolled off maybe I'll have to look at swaging my own again
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 9:00:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Hah let’s hope it doesn’t come down to that
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top