Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2021 12:15:10 PM EDT
Sent mine in over a month ago, expires September still have not received it.  

Anyone know if they will decline to renew if it expires before they process it?  Will I need to retake the class?
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 12:31:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Anyone know if they will decline to renew if it expires before they process it?  Will I need to retake the class?
View Quote

Im pretty sure there’s a bit of a grace period.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 4:02:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I submitted my renewal in late June and still have not received anything.

I found this on the AZDPS.gov site:

WHAT IF MY PERMIT EXPIRES, MAY I STILL RENEW IT?

You may be processed as a renewal between 90 days prior to expiration and 60 days after expiration. If your permit is expired more than 60 days, and you still want to possess a concealed-weapons permit, you must apply for a new permit. You may use your expired permit card as proof you have attended the firearms-safety training, if it is in good standing. See additional information under obtaining a permit.

IS THERE A GRACE PERIOD TO RENEW AND IS MY PERMIT VALID DURING THAT TIME?

As stated above, you may be processed as a renewal applicant up to 60 days after your permit expires. However, your permit is expired on the date listed.
View Quote

Hopefully, we will be okay.  Time will tell.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 5:02:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I submitted my renewal in late June and still have not received anything.

Hopefully, we will be okay.  Time will tell.
View Quote

Thanks for that, good grief, what an obnoxious turnaround time.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 6:38:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
I am not sure a class is required anymore.  Definitely not required for veterans.

It really surprised me when they sent me a notice that it would expire soon.  They love the money.

Here is the current ARS for 'competence'

N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

1. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety or that uses instructors who are certified by the national rifle association.

2. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.

3. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.

4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.

5. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.

6. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.

7. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.

8. Completion of any other firearms safety or training course or class that is conducted by a department of public safety approved or national rifle association certified firearms instructor.

Looks like you are covered!
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 10:41:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine expires 8 Sept, last time it arrived the day before.  I can't recall the other times before.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 12:09:02 AM EDT
[#6]
My permit expired July 28th. I sent my renewal to them in June so far nada.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 2:13:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I forgot to renew my permit which expired back in February - went to buy a gun in April and the shop told me it was expired.  This was 6 days before I could no longer renew and would have to re-apply.  

I printed the renewal form, picked up a money order and mailed it that night in a priority mail envelope, which they received the next day (checked tracking), so day X minus 5.  I got my renewed permit 9 days later - they had issued the renewal on day X minus 2, and then took a couple more days to mail it and a couple for delivery.

I was quite surprised, I think it was taking more than a month at the time based on others' posts.  Someone definitely noticed that it was a few days from having to be kicked back to me, and made sure it wasn't.  Thanks DPS CCW unit!
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:20:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

WHAT IF MY PERMIT EXPIRES, MAY I STILL RENEW IT?

You may be processed as a renewal between 90 days prior to expiration and 60 days after expiration. If your permit is expired more than 60 days, and you still want to possess a concealed-weapons permit, you must apply for a new permit. You may use your expired permit card as proof you have attended the firearms-safety training, if it is in good standing. See additional information under obtaining a permit.

I just set a calendar reminder 90 days before mine expires.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 1:43:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Sent mine in and a month later kicked back for some docs (american passport...etc) to prove my us citizenship... on a fuckin renewal. like no shit i think im still a citizen.. oh yeah btw there is  a grace period after it expires. i think its a month or 2
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 10:57:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I sent in my renewal at the end of June... they marked it as received July 1st.
I just got it in the mail a week and a half ago.

BUT... that was because I called and sat through the 7 people ahead of me to talk to someone just over 2 weeks ago. I had never had one take that long, and have had a CCW since Sept of 94,' so that is a lot of renewals to compare this one too. I've had renewal permits as quick as 2 weeks before, from dropping it in the mail to recieving it.

I commented to the guy that I was concerned about mail issues in our neighborhood... my wife keeps up with a neighborhood chat where people were saying a woman was being seen going into mailboxes, so I was afraid it might have been snatched... he said no, nothing has been issued and they are running behind due to 'staffing issues,' so that is putting them behind, but that also my application was set aside 'for review.'

I told him nothing has changed on my end... same boring person since the first ccw was issued almost 30 years ago. He said 'it looks like it was set aside for review because of a similar name popping up, let me look at something.'

1 minute later he said it would be in the mail tomorrow (a Thursday), and I had it the following Wednesday. Glad I called.... who knows how long it would have sat on someones desk waiting for 'review,'' even though it only took him -1 minute to do that step.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I sent in my renewal at the end of June... they marked it as received July 1st.
I just got it in the mail a week and a half ago.

BUT... that was because I called and sat through the 7 people ahead of me to talk to someone just over 2 weeks ago. I had never had one take that long, and have had a CCW since Sept of 94,' so that is a lot of renewals to compare this one too. I've had renewal permits as quick as 2 weeks before, from dropping it in the mail to recieving it.

I commented to the guy that I was concerned about mail issues in our neighborhood... my wife keeps up with a neighborhood chat where people were saying a woman was being seen going into mailboxes, so I was afraid it might have been snatched... he said no, nothing has been issued and they are running behind due to 'staffing issues,' so that is putting them behind, but that also my application was set aside 'for review.'

I told him nothing has changed on my end... same boring person since the first ccw was issued almost 30 years ago. He said 'it looks like it was set aside for review because of a similar name popping up, let me look at something.'

1 minute later he said it would be in the mail tomorrow (a Thursday), and I had it the following Wednesday. Glad I called.... who knows how long it would have sat on someones desk waiting for 'review,'' even though it only took him -1 minute to do that step.
View Quote

Where do you look to see if they received it?
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 11:33:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Send it return receipt requested?
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 3:56:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Just called DPS, they received it a couple months back..   said some guy with the same name flagged it.. different middle names..  but still flagged.. said he would send it out tomorrow.

If your waiting, might be worth a phone call.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 6:22:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I wonder what would have happened if you didn't call them...  

Link Posted: 9/9/2021 1:23:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

THe guy told me the date received when I mentioned that I mailed it towards the end of June... Marked was a poor word choice... More like "we show it as received July 1st...."
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:45:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I am glad I checked this thread. Mine expired on 9/8 also and I sent in the renewal three months ago and nothing in the mail so far.
I will make sure and call them now.  Thanks guys
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:47:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My permit expired July 28th. I sent my renewal to them in June so far nada.
View Quote

Mine expired the same day.  I have heard the same:  NOTHING.  Also sent my renewal in late May/early June.

ETA: emailed DPS' CCW division...let's see what shakes out.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 11:28:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Mine expired the same day.  I have heard the same:  NOTHING.  Also sent my renewal in late May/early June.

ETA: emailed DPS' CCW division...let's see what shakes out.
View Quote

I think I will email them also.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 8:54:36 PM EDT
[#19]
And as a reminder, don't ditch your old card once your new one comes in.  Your new one may not be valid yet.  Found out the hard way when I went to buy a gun & they won't accept my new CCW to waive the background check.  It wasn't valid yet. Need to use the old card until it officially expires.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 1:54:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
And as a reminder, don't ditch your old card once your new one comes in.  Your new one may not be valid yet.  Found out the hard way when I went to buy a gun & they won't accept my new CCW to waive the background check.  It wasn't valid yet. Need to use the old card until it officially expires.  
View Quote

Good to know.  I always keep mine.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 1:28:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I had not heard back, no reply to my email, so I called the general line and spoke to a guy in the ccw unit.

Super helpful, said they have huge back log, and he took care to make sure mine was ready to print and send out shortly.

I would definitely call and speak to them if you dont hear anything. The staff there were great.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 4:22:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I had not heard back, no reply to my email, so I called the general line and spoke to a guy in the ccw unit.

Super helpful, said they have huge back log, and he took care to make sure mine was ready to print and send out shortly.

I would definitely call and speak to them if you dont hear anything. The staff there were great.
View Quote

I didn't get an email back so I remembered to call this morning.  It was nearly finished processing and the customer service guy had me squared away in a few minutes.  

They had received the check in late May (the 25th) and I knew they were backed up and short staffed so I wasn't surprised it took this long.  They were super nice on the phone and had me cleared and the permit ready to print in like 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Got mine a week after it expired.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 7:04:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Still waiting on mine too.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 6:12:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Don't waste your time with an email.  Call them for fastest response.

I mailed my renewal application 7-17.  My CCW expires today, so I called and talked to a nice gentleman who said the renewal had been flagged.  I have not had any problems since my first application, which was when DPS first started issuing permits.  However, he did say that he would send it out next day.  

But then, I asked about my wife's renewal application.  He said it had not be flagged but was still held up.  No reason noted.  He said it would go out next day also.  

It seems that with lack of proper staff, things are a bit disorganized.  A phone call is the best way to communicate with them.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:13:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I mailed my renewal application 7-17.  My CCW expires today, so I called and talked to a nice gentleman who said the renewal had been flagged.  I have not had any problems since my first application, which was when DPS first started issuing permits.  However, he did say that he would send it out next day.  

But then, I asked about my wife's renewal application.  He said it had not be flagged but was still held up.  No reason noted.  He said it would go out next day also.  

It seems that with lack of proper staff, things are a bit disorganized.  A phone call is the best way to communicate with them.
View Quote

Agreed.  I did get an email that my permit had been processed but I had actually called them after about a week.  I'd been flagged, too.  I think I was flagged last time.   Anyhow, they finished it up when I was on the phone and sent it out the following week.  I got it on Monday.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:35:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

What is the number?  I am still waiting, since 6/28.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:58:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AZ DPS concealed weapons

If it's been 75 days since you sent the application in and the check was cashed, give them a call and ask for a status.  Both my wife's and mine were overdue but sent in at different times, every tine I called they were polite and helpful. They are overwhelmed and probably in some disarray, I get the impression that if you call up politely and ask about your permit they look it up, see that its overdue and if it's cleared to be printed and sent out they push the button to make that happen. I called on a Friday, the guy checked and told me it would be in the mail Monday. I got it on Wednesday.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 7:16:23 PM EDT
[#29]
(602) 256-6280
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 9:22:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks, I called them today.  It had been processed but not mailed.  They said they would mail it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 2:28:25 AM EDT
[#31]
I received my new card today.  I am happy about that.  Yes, they are very backed up.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 9:49:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Glad I mailed mine in 90 days early.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 3:31:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Call them , they’ll push it right through and you have it in 2 days.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#34]
after 100 days I finally called...  They got it approved in 30 sec over the phone.  I asked what was the issue they said background checks.  Apparently nothing that can't be done in 30 secs.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 2:06:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Just called,  they're currently working on stuff they received in early September,  so anything received after that mystery date in "early" September is not yet in the system yet as "received" and "in progress"
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 9:39:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Got my renewal back today, right at two months wait.
Top Top