Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2024 5:49:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 67Firebird]
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 11:40:09 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a very nice gift for someone. Good luck whoever you are.

Here are some springer tips for the next shooter if you've never owned an air gun before -- especially a springer, as they're a different animal from a CO2 and PCP or manual pump up air gun.

From looking at your pellet pics, I don't see anything over a 9gr. My Hatsan MOD95 springer likes the heavier pellets around the 9.5 to 11 grains best for accuracy. The lighter pellets will certainly hit the target, but more of a shotgun effect. The air just pushes them too fast to be accurate and stable. The weight will slow them down from the air pressure needed and give better consistency.

Also, with a springer one needs to use the military hold. That's where you just cup your free hand under the forearm and let the weight of gun rest upon it. If you hold it like a real rifle or PCP type air gun, the action can't move the way it wants from the recoils and throws your shots off.

One needs to also use a trusted springer rated scope/reflex sight as these things just won't let a cheap reticle stay on target from their abusiveness in recoil joults. I've seen older Leupolds, Redfields, Bushnell and others get tore up by a springer. The newer scopes are much better, but one needs to call the scope company or the scope is a known scope that's been re-inforced for springer guns.

Good luck Firebird in letting someone else have pleasure in airgun shooting.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 1:53:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:40:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Heck I'll take it '67!  Funny, I just watched a "How It's Made" episode on making air rifles and was thinking I'd like to get one.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:17:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:26:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Excellent, off to another good home it goes.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:42:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks 67Firebird!

And now "construct air gun range" gets tagged on to the ever-growing to-do list
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 2:23:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 2:23:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 2:27:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:07:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By midmo:
Thanks 67Firebird!

And now "construct air gun range" gets tagged on to the ever-growing to-do list
View Quote

I use ductseal pellet traps . . .

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2007/07/silent-pellet-traps-part-1/

Build a box. Cut a groove to allow you to slide a piece of cardboard backing. Pack it full of Ductseal. (BTW, you get Ductseal in the electrician's supply aisle of your favorite big box home improvement store). The ductseal putty will capture the pellets and keep lead dust under control. No annoying clack of pellets hitting metal. Good inside trap.

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:13:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Damn it. We really do need a like button for those times where a genius idea drops into the conversation.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 7:45:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#12]
Originally Posted By Triumphman:
Damn it. We really do need a like button for those times where a genius idea drops into the conversation.
View Quote

The ductseal trap is pretty common in the airgun community. There are lots of plans/tutorials online. I first got the idea from an old Beeman catalog in the 1990s. Be warned, the ductseal traps get heavy after you shoot a bunch of pellets into them. Some guys pick out the clumps of old pellets, but I rarely do.

Rubber mulch is another good dampening material, but it doesn't stay in place like the ductseal.

ETA: Ductseal ain't exactly cheap. Expect to pay about $5-$10 per pound. Depending on how big you build your box, you could end up using 6-8 pounds of the stuff.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gardner-Bender-16-oz-Duct-Seal/4595233

https://www.amazon.com/Ideal-Industries-31-601-Duct-Block/dp/B003MZK122
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 1:20:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Air guns are fun. I shoot weekly with my Schutzenverein. We do 10m air rifle and pistol. Our guns are a bit more spendy though. It can be a cheap way to improve your shooting.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:41:42 PM EDT
[#14]
If y'all find yourself in Rogers Arkansas visit the Pea Ridge Battlefield then head over to the Daisy Airgun Museum.
https://daisymuseum.com/

At the end of the tour they have a gift shop full of Daisy airguns selling cheap! I bought like 5 Red Ryders for $10 each a few years ago. Gave em all away to friends with kids.

Even as an adult, the Red Ryders are fun for shooting and not killing anything. Great for getting stray dogs moving away from my house as they wont penetrate the skin. Also fun for shooting my 25yd gongs, bird houses, propane tank - targets of opportunity around the house. You really have to lob them in there.  

I still have a Daisy single shot break open .177 spring powered rifle somewhere around the house.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:04:16 PM EDT
[#15]
National BB Gun Museum in Branson is awesome too!
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 8:44:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:16:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By 67Firebird:
midmo came by today to cut down a tree for us, and also picked up the air rifle and pellets. Happy shootin', midmo.
View Quote

Haven't had a chance to try her out yet, after getting all that firewood unloaded, yesterday afternoon turned into a really good day to lay around and do nothin'.  

Looking forward to being transported back to my childhood, though.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:09:34 AM EDT
[#18]
It was cheap pellet accurate for me. Minute of paint can at 30 to 40 yards or there abouts, I didn't have an optic on it I don't think.  

I need to get the one I kept out & play with. Glad it went to another good home.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:42:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Mattgunguy:
It was cheap pellet accurate for me. Minute of paint can at 30 to 40 yards or there abouts, I didn't have an optic on it I don't think.  

I need to get the one I kept out & play with. Glad it went to another good home.
View Quote

It may not be a match quality rifle, but my first impression is that it's very well built and will probably survive to last another hand-me-down or two.

I've got an old CO2 pellet gun around here somewhere, actually kind of a fun little mag-fed thing.  But jacking around with CO2 is just... well, you know.  

Pump guns are OK but who's got time to stand there cranking the damn thing up when a ferocious tomato hornworm is moving in on the hummingbird feeder?  

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:30:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By midmo:

It may not be a match quality rifle, but my first impression is that it's very well built and will probably survive to last another hand-me-down or two.

I've got an old CO2 pellet gun around here somewhere, actually kind of a fun little mag-fed thing.  But jacking around with CO2 is just... well, you know.  

Pump guns are OK but who's got time to stand there cranking the damn thing up when a ferocious tomato hornworm is moving in on the hummingbird feeder?  

View Quote

Accurate enough for rabbit if need be. I'd like to get 22 caliber pellet gun for slightly larger critters like turkey, I've just never remembered when I've got extra money.  That one & a few others came from an auction when Gun Slinger in Springfield closed down. Was bidding on the Ak's that were in the same lot. Then I decided that a springer pellet gun is about the perfect prepper gun for small critter collection. Cheap, quiet, and I can carry a crap load of pellets. I've had one ever since.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top