Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2019 9:45:41 PM EDT
Allegedly was acting weird around Walmart, had a handgun and an AR with some loaded mags.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 8:51:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Haven't heard anything since the weekend. Reports were all over the place.

One version was that someone reported him Friday. PD made contact and let him go. The next day they received more info and picked the guy up.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 9:21:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Yesterday:

---------------------------

(WLBT) - Maybe it was the gun poked down the front of Patsy Victorius Delvecchio III’s pants that made a few customers feel a little ill at ease in the Petal WalMart on Friday.

It also could have been the “aggressive stance” that police say he took at one point toward the front door. It definitely could have been the smirk he allegedly gave an employee who indicated that he saw the gun in his pants.

There’s nothing creepy or illegal about buying ammunition, but after the rest of that, again, people were unnerved.

The fact that customers and employees who saw something said something may have saved lives that day.

“I would absolutely say that," said Petal Police Chief Matthew Hiatt. "I would say that it began with the employee, with Walmart. It’s my understanding there were some concerned citizens as well that reported the actions and the behavior of Mr. Del Vecchio to the attention of Walmart staff, and that’s what it takes.”

READ MORE: Police: ‘Suspicious person’ at Miss. Walmart had guns, hundreds of rounds of ammo

Authorities said it looked like there was a lot to be concerned about in the minutes following as well. Del Vecchio had allegedly been in the parking lot for about 15 minutes. When police pulled him over, he had the handgun that was in his pants, as well as an AR-style weapon in the vehicle.

“There was approximately 500 rounds of ammunition inside Mr. Del Vecchio’s vehicle. Among that were 10 AR loaded magazines as well as several rounds of ammunition for the pistol.”

There was also a notebook in which a note was written: “Buy more ammo.”

But interviews with Del Vecchio led authorities to believe he could have mental health issues. He is former military, police say, but they don’t yet know for sure why he isn’t anymore. Until several things about his mental health are determined, charges will not be pressed. It’s unclear how long the evaluations could take.

“We want to make sure that we protect the public, as I think the Petal Police Department has done very effectively to this point," said Special Agent Jason Denham of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. "Also, we want to have some empathy and compassion for our suspect.”

It’s possible that if charges are pressed, there could be state and/or federal charges.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 5:54:58 PM EDT
[#3]
What was the probable cause for the stop? From the reporting he could have been some guy that was printing with his CCW and had some ammo and an AR in the trunk or he could have been a mass shooter in the works. Absolutely unclear.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 6:35:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Per reports he has to go to a court ordered psych evaluation. Still no charges or other information.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 11:50:51 AM EDT
[#5]
My folks shop at that Walmart all the time. Have to ask if they heard anything about ol’ Patsy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top