Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2021 9:39:11 PM EDT
Looking to add a room, will need more than just blueprints because of the style home and where the addition would be, want to hire a pro so it will look right.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 10:05:53 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind of house/style? The guy I know kind of specializes in more modern designs.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 6:21:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Traditional Az stucco with tile roof.  It doesn’t have an eve or overhang, stucco goes from ground to roof tile, which is where our design issue starts.

Not modern for sure.

Attachment Attached File

Added pic and description.  

Attachment Attached File

Looking to add on to that wall straight ahead, and bring it out to match the patio roughly 20x20’.  (the left of the pic is all covered patio.)  Not sure how to get the roofing to line up or look right.   Contractor i know said to get the plans first and go from there, I assumed architect answer.

Though maybe a flat roof section might look ok?  Not sure.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know if you need an Architect since the home is so stylized.  Just copy exactly what is there, unless you want the addition to look different.  If so, just do a section with a parapet to it contrast the tile roof or even add a contrasting material (metal or tile siding).  While I agree it is a traditional AZ stucco/tile home, it does have a modern feel to it with the clean lines and gray colors.  

I'm not against Architects as they definitely have their place.  But as a landscape designer (not a licensed landscape architect), I always find architects seem to design the most expensive way possible.  You want a designer/builder that will also quote building it.  That way they will be a honesty in the design as they have to bid it as well.  I've had projects from a landscape architect that was 20-40% more in cost because of the way they designed it or the material the picked to go into the project.  I typically change the design just a little or specify another material for a huge savings.  Architect seem to get fascinated with a particular design idea and try to force it at all cost.  A designer/builder, knows what materials cost and how they work, so they can maximize what you get for the money.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 8:11:22 PM EDT
[#4]
The last thing you want is an Architect. You need a good civil engineering/design firm.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 2:12:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The last thing you want is an Architect. You need a good civil engineering/design firm.
View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 8:09:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Mmmkk. Any recommendations there?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top