Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2018 8:48:33 AM EDT
Looks like we may be relocating again.

Was hoping to get some info on the local tax situation.  Neighborhoods like Bennington, Elkhorn, Pappilion.

What are ALL of the taxes associated with living in Omaha?  Are there separate property and school taxes or are they rolled into one?  Is there a local income or county income tax?  City assessments?

What kind of taxes are we looking at on a 350-400k house?

Sidebar:  Whats the shooting situation like?  Plenty of public land, only in state ranges or private clubs?   When we moved to PA, it took me over 6 months to find a place to shoot.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:40:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looks like we may be relocating again.

Was hoping to get some info on the local tax situation.  Neighborhoods like Bennington, Elkhorn, Pappilion.

What are ALL of the taxes associated with living in Omaha?  Are there separate property and school taxes or are they rolled into one?  Is there a local income or county income tax?  City assessments?

What kind of taxes are we looking at on a 350-400k house?

Sidebar:  Whats the shooting situation like?  Plenty of public land, only in state ranges or private clubs?   When we moved to PA, it took me over 6 months to find a place to shoot.

Thanks in advance.
View Quote
i can't help you with the tax info, but i'll throw some info on the gun ranges....

you're in luck, there are a TON of great ranges in the Omaha area.

Indoor:
88 Tactical
Inner 10
Bullet Hole - skip this dump.
Omaha Gun Club
Marskman

Outdoor:
ENGC near Louisville

All indoor ranges are 25 or 50yd.  I've heard great things about all of them.  But skip Bullet Hole, waste of space and money.  I have been to 88 Tactical a few times, good place.  Just google or Facebook those places.

The ENGC is membership only or if you know a member to get you in.  has numerous bays and like 600yd rifle range.

There's plenty of gun shops too.
Cabela's
Bass Pro in CB
the gun stores up there have guns too
Gun Unlimited
various pawn sthops

***Now, the big thing.  Omaha is not like the rest of NE.  If you have a pistol, it must be registered with OPD.  If you are caught with an unregistered pistol, you'll be arrested.  This will of course be null and void if you have an NE CHP.  Until you get a CHP, keep your pistols out of Omaha.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 10:10:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

***Now, the big thing.  Omaha is not like the rest of NE.  If you have a pistol, it must be registered with OPD.  If you are caught with an unregistered pistol, you'll be arrested.  This will of course be null and void if you have an NE CHP.  Until you get a CHP, keep your pistols out of Omaha.
View Quote
Is that just for Omaha proper or the whole county?

Any preemption bills in the works?  That's crazy?
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 12:52:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

from what i remember, it is Omaha city limits.

there was a preemption bill in the Unicam last session.  too much opposition from police departments, unions and anti-gunners, etc.  there was an amendment added and it pretty much gutted it.  the session ended without any action on it.  we will try again next year!

ETA: don't get me started on Lincoln too.... its not as bad, but still stupid.  and now that i think about it, Blair might have something on the books around knives.

you also cannot OC in Omaha without a permit.

IMHO..... i would drive around the neighborhoods you are looking to buy and see what kind of election advertisements are on people's lawns.

you can also look up tax data on the county assessor's website.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:13:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

you can also look up tax data on the county assessor's website.
View Quote
The reason I'm asking about all taxes is because when we moved to Pittsburgh, I looked at the taxes on the assessors site and saw ~$2700.  Not bad.   Where we moved from, all of your taxes were listed as a lump sum on the county website.  Here, not so much.    Not only did we have the $2700 property tax, we had $9000 in school taxes, plus a township income tax and a county income tax,   I had no clue.

Do you know if school taxes are included in that number or if they are a separate tax bill?

Edit:  I’ve used my best Google fu.  Some sites it looks like it is, other mention levys and school tax bills.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 3:41:13 PM EDT
[#5]
The taxes will be all rolled together.  You'll pay roughly $8000 on a $400,000 house.

If you go to real estate websites like Zillow you can look at houses in your price range.  They will show the tax history in the listing.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 8:15:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks @Engineer5  I was hoping that was the case.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:42:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:43:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't buy a house in Douglas County.  Even if it's not Omaha today, it could be Omaha tomorrow.  Ask the citizen of Elkhorn how they liked being annexed by the Omaha beast.

Sarpy County is probably what you want.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 3:28:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I will throw in too the thought of SW iowa.  Depending on where you work, especiallly if Downtown or midtown iowa is a better option.

Sun at your back each way and traffic is much better.  Watching all those stuck on the Dodge expressway headed in from the Wahoo, Elkhorn area etc makes me glad I’m not in that mix.

I am a native from Nebraska but wouldn’t consider moving to Omaha proper.

As for ranges, ENGC is good and just NW of Council Bluffs is The Council Bluffs Rifle and Pistol Club.  200 yard range well maintained and $75 a year membership.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 6:01:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Lancaster County or Lincoln is no better.  And it's too scary for our UniCameral to explore funding schools from something other than property taxes, especially since they get plenty of lobbying from LPS, again paid for by property tax money that LPS puts into their budget every year in a never ending cycle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top