Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/8/2020 4:54:08 PM EDT
Moving out there (just south of Houghton) later this month.
Looking for feedback on shooting ranges and gun stores in the area.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 10:07:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I’m envious of you. Will be passing through on my way to copper harbor in one month. I wanted to move up to Marquette but my wife is turned off by the long winters.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 3:30:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I love the snow, we'll see how much lol. I'm definitely going into this with a positive mind set.
I definitely love the outdoors so I'm very much looking forward to the buschcrafting, hunting, fishing, canoeing, etc to be had living in this area.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 4:18:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I am jealous. I currently live downstate, but would jump at the chance to live in da UP. My wife and I take several trips every year and absolutely love that peninsula. On the Keweenaw you will get a lot of snow in wintertime. But I like snow so that isn’t a bad point with me.

I’ve bought ammo at Northwoods Sporting Goods in Hancock and they were decent. Pretty sure there are a couple other gun shops in Hancock, but I’ve never stopped in. Don’t know about ranges though.

Enjoy your new digs! There are lots of beautiful wilderness areas in the UP to explore.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks JustDave, I appreciate that.
Been following Northwoods on FB, they seem to get in some pretty decent stuff.
I know just outside of Houghton there is a outdoor range I'll be checking out.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 10:27:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Living In Michigan

Dear Diary,

August 12
Moved to our new home in Michigan. It is so beautiful here. The views are so majestic. Can hardly wait to see them with snow covering them. I love it here.

October 14
Michigan is the most beautiful place on Earth. The leaves are turning all the shades of red, gold and orange. Went for a ride through the beautiful hills and saw some deer. They are so graceful, certainly they are the most wonderful animals on Earth. This must be paradise. I love it here.

November 15
Deer season starts today. I can't imagine anyone wanting to kill such a gorgeous creature. Hope it will snow soon. I love it here.

December 2
It snowed last night! Woke up to find everything blanketed with white. It looks like a postcard. We went outside and cleaned the snow off the steps and shoveled the driveway. We had a snowball fight (I won) and when the snow-plow came by, we had to shovel the driveway again. What a beautiful place. I love Michigan.

December 12
More snow last night. I love it. The snow-plow did his trick again to the driveway. But I love it here.

December 19
More snow last night. Couldn't get out of the driveway to get to work. I'm totally exhausted from shoveling. Darn snow-plow.

December 22
More of the white shit fell last night. I've got blisters on both hands from shoveling. I think the snow-plow hides around the curve and waits until I'm done shoveling the driveway. Idiot!

December 25
Merry Stinking Christmas! More friggin snow. If I ever get my hands on that son-of-a-bitch who drives that snow-plow, I swear I'll kill the bastard. Don't know why they don't use more salt on the roads to melt the goddam ice.

December 27
More white shit last night. Been inside for 3 days except for shoveling out the driveway after that snow-plow goes through every time. Can't go anywhere, car's stuck in a mountain of white shit. The weatherman says to expect another 10" of the shit again tonight. Do you know how many shovels full of snow 10" is?!

December 28
Fucking weatherman was wrong. We got 34" of the white shit this time. At this rate, it won't melt before next summer. The snow-plow got stuck up the road and that bastard came to the door and asked to borrow my shovel. After I told him I had broken 6 shovels already shoveling all the shit he pushed into the driveway, I broke my last one over his fucking head.

January 4
Finally got out of the house today. Went to the store to get food and on the way back a damned deer ran in front of the car and I hit it. Did about $800 damage to the car. Those fucking beasts should be killed. Wish the hunters had killed them all last November.

February 10
Blew out a fucking tire on my car yesterday when I hit a pothole the size of Lake Michigan! Bent the rim and threw the whole damn front end out of alignment. The garage can't fix it until next week because they have too many other cars waiting ahead of me!

April 13
Can you believe we're still getting more fucking snow?!! It's springtime for chrissakes!! The flowers are already blooming! Where's that snow shovel?

May 3
Took the car to the garage in town. Would you believe the thing is rusting out from all that fucking salt they put all over the road!

May 10
Moved to back to California. Can't imagine why anyone in their right mind would ever live in that God-forsaken state of Michigan.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 10:57:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Hahaha! You may be right lol!
I've read about most of that, but no way in hell am I moving back to California once I get out! ;)
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 11:24:44 PM EDT
[#7]
STJ is right you know.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 11:44:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I have no doubt.
I have more than one reason for coming out there, and I'll certainly be giving it my best.
I'm also no stranger to winters, and if I really dislike it that much, I can always move.
A person can look at things from a negative perspective, but that just continues the cycle or choose to make the best of a crappy situation and drive on.
I've for the most part maintained a positive outlook and change the things I can to make a situation better and will continue to do so.

I very much appreciate all of you guys for your contributions to this thread.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 10:29:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Having spent four years as an undergrad at Michigan Tech many years ago, I've only been back to the UP once since then, and that was to take the wife and kids to the Soo Locks and Tahquamenon Falls one summer.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 1:49:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Can't help much for that area, but I'm in the EUP and love it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 4:28:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the feedback Gents!
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 8:31:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Near MQT. Winters are long, it is what it is. Rest of the year it is beautiful.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 11:24:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I lived in the UP for several years, but on the eastern side.  I will say that the Houghton region feels like another state, and I mean that in a good way.  Especially up the Keweenaw Peninsula, so incredible up there - for a few months each year, anyway.  I remember seeing bays in Marquette still packed with ice in May, oof.  Sounds like OP knows what he's in for though, and like he said, can always make a change.  And the summers are priceless up there, despite how brief they are.

eta:  I'm not much of a help answering the OPs questions.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 1:25:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I appreciate your post bikedamon!
This first year will be interesting, but I'm looking forward to the challenge.
Today is the last day at work, move happens on the 23rd and I'm looking forward to the trip.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 1:51:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
...  And the summers are priceless up there, despite how brief they are.

View Quote

To steal and paraphrase a quote from the tv series "How I Met Your Mother":

I once dated a girl in the Michigan U.P. all summer long.  It was greatest two and a half weeks of sex I've ever had.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 2:18:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Haha, awesome!

Quoted:

To steal and paraphrase a quote from the tv series "How I Met Your Mother":

I once dated a girl in the Michigan U.P. all summer long.  It was greatest two and a half weeks of sex I've ever had.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/20/2020 9:17:55 PM EDT
[#17]
nevermind.....
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 8:31:19 PM EDT
[#18]
It sucks, absolutely horrible.  If you survive the blizzards the mosquitos will eat you alive in the spring.  Stay away, run away, do not visit, we are overpopulated and the traffic is horrible.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 8:46:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
AIt sucks, absolutely horrible.  If you survive the blizzards the mosquitos will eat you alive in the spring.  Stay away, run away, do not visit, we are overpopulated and the traffic is horrible.
View Quote
+1
Also,
if you do come, if you are from CA as your membership says, Leave any Libtards stuff there, we already have to much with our shitbag govnah....
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 11:34:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Sounds like my kind of place lol!

Quoted:
It sucks, absolutely horrible.  If you survive the blizzards the mosquitos will eat you alive in the spring.  Stay away, run away, do not visit, we are overpopulated and the traffic is horrible.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2020 11:37:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I've been trying to get an opportunity to get out of this shithole of a state exactly because of that bullshit and now it's time.
That said, I'll say thanks for the welcome. ;)

Quoted:
+1
Also,
if you do come, if you are from CA as your membership says, Leave any Libtards stuff there, we already have to much with our shitbag govnah....
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2020 8:42:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Looks like a roadtrip is happening ?
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 8:52:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've been trying to get an opportunity to get out of this shithole of a state exactly because of that bullshit and now it's time.
That said, I'll say thanks for the welcome. ;)

View Quote
Well in that case, You'll fit right in around here... Let's go shootin!
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeppers, hitting the road tomorrow!
2400 miles at a slow relaxing pace.
Hoping to enjoy as much of the beauty of this great country as I can while travelling.

Quoted:
Looks like a roadtrip is happening ?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2020 2:46:30 PM EDT
[#25]
I appreciate that man!
First thing I'll be doing once I get there is un-californicating my AR's and blocked mags.
I can't wait!

Quoted:
Well in that case, You'll fit right in around here... Let's go shootin!
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2020 3:32:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Welcome! Michigan has some amazing places and people and I’m sure you will enjoy the 87’ of snow you’ll get this winter!
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 10:19:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks man!
I actually love the snow. I've lived in a few snowy places like Washington State, Germany, and Hungary and enjoyed it a lot.
The UP will be a challenge as far as the snow goes, but I'm looking forward to it.

Quoted:
Welcome! Michigan has some amazing places and people and I’m sure you will enjoy the 87’ of snow you’ll get this winter!
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2020 2:31:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Prepare for this

Link Posted: 7/24/2020 2:32:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Da Yoopers: Rusty Chevrolet (VHS)
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 2:34:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Da Yoopers - My Car Won´t Go
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 2:37:01 AM EDT
[#31]
The second week of deer camp
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 3:53:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Excellent, I'll add it to my playlist.
Also watched Escanaba in da moonlight in preparation for my move. :D

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2020 3:56:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Bucket-Back, these are all great! Thank you for sharing them.
My Spotify is going to be LIT!
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:57:45 PM EDT
[#34]

I remember that from when I was growing up in MI, in high school in the 80s.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:58:23 PM EDT
[#35]
double tap
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 8:53:47 AM EDT
[#36]
I don't remember much about deer camp in the '80's, just off the Escanaba River near Rock MI.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 12:11:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Good afternoon!
I arrived Monday, I'm amazed how beautiful it is here!
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 5:38:59 PM EDT
[#38]
There are some amazing waterfalls and the views looking out in to superior are incredible
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 7:54:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Pure Michigan

Link Posted: 7/31/2020 8:55:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 10:52:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Gorgeous!
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:42:51 AM EDT
[#42]
made a similar trip out of ca little over ten years ago. ended up near iron mountain.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 9:56:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Excellent, I'll add it to my playlist.
Also watched Escanaba in da moonlight in preparation for my move. :D

View Quote
Jimmer where's your Chevy?
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 12:14:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Ha! I really enjoyed that movie.

Quoted:
Jimmer where's your Chevy?
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 12:23:28 PM EDT
[#45]
A lifetime ago I went to college in the Horetown - Handjob metropolitan area and joined what is now known as the Portage Lake Sportsmen's Club.  Website

For my purposes, sighting in deer rifle and trapshooting, it was more than adequate.  The facilities are probably much better 40 years later.

What was most impressive to a long-haired college freshman from Troll Land is how the local middle-aged club members were so friendly and welcoming.  I'll never forget that.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 2:07:16 PM EDT
[#46]
The local folks have been incredible.
Feels like home.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 9:47:32 AM EDT
[#47]
I only live in the northwest lower, moved from
westland.  Took about 12 years to become tired of the winters here and start thinkin about living somewhere else that time of year.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 6:31:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Welcome to Michigan, make sure you get a Pasty and some Trenary Toast.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 9:51:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 5:32:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Haha! Glad it's not skeeter season anymore!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top