Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2024 12:50:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GlockSpeed31]
As the topic indicates, heading to either Tyler or Chandler to view & hopefully photograph the Total eclipse in April. Of these 2 cities, which would a local recommend I try to head to? Looking for something kind of scenic area to make the photos more interesting.

It will be the wife, 2 older teenage boys & myself. We are staying in Shreveport LA and making the morning drive over into TX for the day.

Any help or recommendations and/or cautions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Update 04-04-2024, thanks all for the suggestions, due to the upcoming weather issues, we are heading further North to Indiana.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 3:35:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you looking for a festival type thing or a remote area to just park and enjoy it?  I would avoid Tyler like the plague.   The traffic sucks on a normal day
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Billy-the-Man:
Are you looking for a festival type thing or a remote area to just park and enjoy it?  I would avoid Tyler like the plague.   The traffic sucks on a normal day
View Quote

Just an area to view and photograph the eclipse. I know traffic will suck balls, but it's probably a once in a lifetime event for me. Missed the 2017 eclipse due to work.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:09:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I recently from moved from Edgewood last year. My old place was right in the the middle of the total eclipse swipe.
That being said, I would would look at the the Lake Tawakoni dam area.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:41:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Still looking for ideas or feedback on Tyler or Chandler.
Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:41:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wulf202] [#5]
Tyler traffic isn't great in normal times. However you have to basically drive thru tyler to get to chandler.  Of the two, I'd do tyler at the 10 o clock.  

Canton would be better. It's directly off of i-20 and is more directly in the path of the eclipse.

There are plenty of small towns off highway 80 worth considering.  Lake towakoni as mentioned would be very nice.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 4:22:07 PM EDT
[#6]
If your looking for scenic then maybe try Tyler State Park. If you are in Chandler their is the City park that has a walk path but it is not very scenic.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:45:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Wulf202:
Tyler traffic isn't great in normal times. However you have to basically drive thru tyler to get to chandler.  Of the two, I'd do tyler at the 10 o clock.  

Canton would be better. It's directly off of i-20 and is more directly in the path of the eclipse.

There are plenty of small towns off highway 80 worth considering.  Lake towakoni as mentioned would be very nice.
View Quote

Tawakoni wouldn’t be a bad idea. Quinland is a shit show all the time. I’m headed to Fork as my pops has a place there. Not looking forward to driving back to Ftw after.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 10:08:09 AM EDT
[#8]
if your driving out the day of the eclipse good luck to you. Towns made for 10K people swelling to 50K all the supporting roads are going to be gridlock
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 12:02:40 PM EDT
[#9]
If I was coming in from Shreveport I would not be trying to get farther west of the east side of Lake Fork for a day trip.  Pack a lunch for sure.
I'd go a bit north to Lake Bob Sandlin area, just fewer folks around I suspect.  And the track is getting closer to Shreveport there.  Anyone coming from Dallas on IH 30 will have stopped already at the centerline.  The parks at Bob Sandlin there are on the west/north side of the lake which is bad for the approach from Shreveport, but you might get around the corner.  

Originally Posted By clweathers:
I’m headed to Fork as my pops has a place there. Not looking forward to driving back to Ftw after.
View Quote

You are insane, at least stay over and drive back starting at 3am or something.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:28:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By mPisi:

You are insane, at least stay over and drive back starting at 3am or something.
View Quote

We were going to head home later in the evening anyways. I’m prepared for a shit show. May take a scenic route home.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:08:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm going to be in Tyler too.  I'm making sure to get in a couple of days early, and getting out a couple of days later.  Also bringing supplies for the entire time.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:39:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By NotJackMiller:
I'm going to be in Tyler too.  I'm making sure to get in a couple of days early, and getting out a couple of days later.  Also bringing supplies for the entire time.
View Quote

Do you have a location picked out in Tyler to set up for the viewing? If you don't mind sharing?
Are you just there to watch or there to photograph?
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 10:44:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I’m just gonna go look from my back yard and brace for the east Texas methbilly apocalypse. God be with the rest of you.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:20:25 PM EDT
[#14]
This might not help your plans, but there are countless back roads in the hay fields of East Texas.  I plan on parking on the side of Moon Road which sits up on a  hill.  It's county road 446 just off of hwy 110 in between Van and Lindale.  Generations have parked there on a Friday night just to look at the stars.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:14:08 PM EDT
[#15]
This might not help your plans, but there are countless back roads in the hay fields of East Texas.  I plan on parking on the side of Moon Road which sits up on a  hill.  It's county road 446 just off of hwy 110 in between Van and Lindale.  Generations have parked there on a Friday night just to look at the stars.
View Quote

Thanks @Billy-the-Man for the ideas. Ever run into any issues from the landowners of just sitting on the side of the road? Not being from TX, don't want to ruffle any feathers or worse.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:22:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By GlockSpeed31:

Thanks @Billy-the-Man for the ideas. Ever run into any issues from the landowners of just sitting on the side of the road? Not being from TX, don't want to ruffle any feathers or worse.
View Quote

Never.  If I run to town today, I'll snap a picture of what I'm talking about
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:09:43 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

I live nearby.

I only get annoyed when people block my driveway or stop in the road.  My place has the last decent cell signal for about 2 miles.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Never.  If I run to town today, I'll snap a picture of what I'm talking about
View Quote

Cool, thanks.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:29:46 PM EDT
[#19]

I live nearby.

I only get annoyed when people block my driveway or stop in the road.  My place has the last decent cell signal for about 2 miles.
View Quote

Yeah, I don't believe in causing anyone any inconvenience on my part. Never block a driveway, get out of the road and don't screw up anyone's property. Drives me bonkers when I see people do that crap, like they are entitled to use and destroy others property.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:40:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Attachment Attached File

As you can tell, it's a very busy road.  I don't know about eclipse day, but I've parked there for hours without seeing another car
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 2:05:37 PM EDT
[#21]
OP,,,,If you're in Shreveport why not go to Texarkana? Tyler traffic SUCKS on a regular day. Add 50,000 people looky lewing and you'll be in a morass of stupidity.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 2:59:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By ACEB36TC:
OP,,,,If you're in Shreveport why not go to Texarkana? Tyler traffic SUCKS on a regular day. Add 50,000 people looky lewing and you'll be in a morass of stupidity.
View Quote

We have had a change of plans since I first posted this. Now we are staying in Longview and trying to view in the area between Lindale and Van, possibly. who knows, we may just pull over on the side of I-20 and watch!
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 11:30:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By GlockSpeed31:

We have had a change of plans since I first posted this. Now we are staying in Longview and trying to view in the area between Lindale and Van, possibly. who knows, we may just pull over on the side of I-20 and watch!
View Quote

Pm incoming. I have room in my driveway and pasture.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:55:40 AM EDT
[#24]

Pm incoming. I have room in my driveway and pasture.
View Quote

How close are you to sky ranch?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:49:34 AM EDT
[#25]
I live northeast of Tyler, 271/155 area. I'll just watch if from my neighborhood if I'm awake.  Too many trees in my yard, but road in front of the house is clear.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 11:59:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Early weather forecasts not looking great.
My wife has declared we'll be part of the refugee exodus on The Day if it's cloudy here.  Until now I had planned to stay put no matter what.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 1:39:10 PM EDT
[#27]

How close are you to sky ranch?
View Quote

10 minutes or so by car nw
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 1:45:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Weather forecast is not looking good for North Texas.  As of now, there is a 15% chance of clear skies.  You might want to make plans to head south.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 3:39:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By FAIL-SAFE:
Weather forecast is not looking good for North Texas.  As of now, there is a 15% chance of clear skies.  You might want to make plans to head south.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 4:56:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Good luck up there.   I'll let you know how it turns out.   I can't leave due to my schedule
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top