Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2024 2:07:11 PM EDT
Zylina Wood Rabbit Hutch

Going to be gating off my driveways and we get a lot of parts/package deliveries so thinking about using one of these with the sides paneled as a roadside parcel box for things that don't fit in our oversized mailbox.
thinking of putting a couple of blink cameras in it to see the packages and anyone opening the thing up. Wondering if anyone else has tried this and if so how it worked out.

Link Posted: 1/13/2024 3:57:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I would pour a slab, attach a decent metal box and leave a padlock for the driver.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 8:24:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Skopsko07734] [#2]
I can see that working if you cover the sides with plywood, make a larger door, and waterproof it; maybe put a semi official looking sign on it reading "Badger Breeding Box, Do Not Disturb" to scare off any potential Porch Pirates.

I use an old Hardigg TL500i foot locker, it is large enough to hold about 95% of the packages I receive.  I secured it to the ground using a steel cable tied off to a 4x4 beam buried three feet down and covered in quickcrete.

Link Posted: 1/26/2024 8:18:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I got one of those pool deck boxes to use when we put in a gate at the driveway.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 9:16:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I would go with a deck box. Lots of sizes and styles available.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 10:59:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a pool deck box with a sign for packages on it, and a camera and floodlight mounted 20' behind it on the other side of the fence. I've never had a problem with porch pirates. But then again I'm pretty rural.

But prepare to be amazed how many delivery guys ignore the sign ON THE BOX that says packages, and just chuck the boxes over the fence. Or like they guy did one time, meticulously stack several boxes on fenceposts.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:50:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I think this is the way I'm going to go with a 165 gallon poly deck box staked to the ground using dog chain screw downs from inside it, on a gravel bed with a couple large sand bags inside to keep it stable. I'll put a camera in it and one pointed at it from inside the mail box "bush" and a big sign that says all deliveries go here (like I already have on the oversized post box). I'm pretty rural and we don't have a porch pirate issue out here. Houses are a looooong way apart. Neighbours are far enough away that I can play my stereo *really* loud and they can't hear it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SystemFailCoreDump:
I think this is the way I'm going to go with a 165 gallon poly deck box staked to the ground using dog chain screw downs from inside it, on a gravel bed with a couple large sand bags inside to keep it stable. I'll put a camera in it and one pointed at it from inside the mail box "bush" and a big sign that says all deliveries go here (like I already have on the oversized post box). I'm pretty rural and we don't have a porch pirate issue out here. Houses are a looooong way apart. Neighbours are far enough away that I can play my stereo *really* loud and they can't hear it.
View Quote
Put what looks like and indicator on the box, and have it set to "empty."
Probably stop the typical porch pirate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top