Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2022 12:37:32 AM EDT
Kid's car got new tabs. Showed her where it goes/keep the registration. Was asked if we should score it with a razor blade because she has friends that do to discourage theft of the sticker.

Does this actually happen? I imagine patrol cars have a video scanner that will flag expired tags without regard to the actual sticker.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 1:27:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never heard of that happening in AZ but when I lived in Hawaii 20 years ago I would score my safety inspection sticker for the same reason (people liked to steal those).

I imagine you could always plead your case to the MVD to get a new one in the event it was ever stolen.

Link Posted: 7/23/2022 4:06:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, a close friend had it happen to him.  It was before the tag sticker had the License plate number on it.

Link Posted: 7/23/2022 12:17:53 PM EDT
[#3]
When you run a plate, the correct registration shows. The sticker is kinda pointless
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 1:40:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Someone stole my plate when I lived in Albuquerque.  I had to pay for the new registration.

They found them a month later down in El Paso.  Mailed it back to me.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 3:36:03 PM EDT
[#5]
That has not happened to me, but I do hear it is a thing.

I have had my plate stolen.  The thieves stole the plate off my truck.  Stole the plate off another vehicle and put my plate on that vehicle.

I guess the drug smugglers do this to delay the time the police are looking for the stolen plate in use.  

My plate was recovered fairly quickly because the shopping center where mine was stolen was a hot spot for this.  One of the managers of a store in that shopping center had his plates stolen many times and got in the habit of checking his plate after work.  He saw my plate on his vehicle and called the police.

I guess drug smugglers and car thieves steal plates and loser thieves who cannot afford vehicle registration steal the stickers.

Thieves suck!
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 7:55:31 PM EDT
[#6]
My plate was stolen while stationed in Cali back in the 80s. I guess someone was jealous of my Arizona plate...
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 9:20:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Happened to my son in law, it's been a few years ago though.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 11:52:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I can barely get the sticker off the film without it ripping.  If it rolls over onto my finger, it adheres immediately and rips.  Scoring with a razor won't help much, unless you are putting the sticker on over several years of stickers.  Don't do that.

Who steals stickers?  People that work with fleets, and cops.  Several locals have ben busted and fired for it. They put the fleet stickers on their POV instead of the plate they belong on.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:15:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Happened to me. Only noticed it when I put on my new sticker.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:52:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Years ago they actually came pre-scored, had to be careful putting them on.

I think theft went way down when they started printing the license plate number on them though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top