Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2021 7:33:38 PM EDT
Like it says, anyone else dry Italian sausage? I make about 400 lbs wet weight every year at this time. The wine cellar smells delicious right now btw, just checking if it’s a dying tradition or something others do
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 7:49:54 PM EDT
[#1]
My sausage hasn’t gotten moistened in a long time.  Should probably be on suicide watch.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 8:09:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Not what I was going for but thank you for sharing
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 8:20:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I have never heard of it before. Is it like a sausage jerky?
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 8:21:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow. Interesting thread. Would you be willing to share some pics?  I'd be interested to know how it's made as well.

What is the difference between sausage that you use to dry vs italian sausage that you buy at the store? Is yours cured, and store type isn't?
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 8:22:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I have never heard of it before. Is it like a sausage jerky?
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 8:26:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Same process as fresh sausage, but we add more spices, because you don’t cook it the spices don’t bloom with the heat. After stuffing the sausage we hang the sausage in a cold area, not freezing, for two to three weeks, it will reduce by about half in weight then enjoy. Similitude to what you find in Italian import stores but I think mine is better. Most store bought uses pink salts I do not and never have I prefer the natural curing using salt and red wine. Not hard like jerky kinda of stick pepperoni texture goes great with cheese and crackers, by it self, and sliced thin on homemade pizza.https://imgur.com/a/xY1iXMC
https://imgur.com/gallery/Y8mnpWW
https://imgur.com/a/wjqzMVs
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 8:51:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow. Interesting thread. Would you be willing to share some pics?  I'd be interested to know how it's made as well.

What is the difference between sausage that you use to dry vs italian sausage that you buy at the store? Is yours cured, and store type isn't?
View Quote

I’ll let the other guy chime in on this one
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 12:03:53 AM EDT
[#8]
wow, thanks OP
I hosted them on ARF for you, if you don't mind.

Link Posted: 2/5/2021 3:16:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I knew a guy from Italy who would dry sausage in his cellar.  He'd also ferment wine down there.  Unfortunately, he got into a little trouble, and went back to Italy for a while.  He finally came back, but died a short time later.  I never got a chance to learn what he did, as he would either go off on a tangent, or was three sheets to the wind.  It was nuts watching him process tomatoes in late summer, as he refused to use an motorized devices.  He had his old hand-cranked mill, and he'd sit in the back yard all day grinding up the tomatoes (from seeds he apparently smuggled in when he'd visit his family in Italy).  This was despite having two damaged shoulders from years of working in masonry / concrete (go figure).
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:30:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Very cool thread @G-Lisch.  Do you still need to cook the sausage after curing it like this or do you eat it as is?  also once cured is it shelf-stable or do you refrigerate it?
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 12:08:32 PM EDT
[#11]
No need to cook it just like any cured meat, the old way way to place it in mason jars with lard or oil, but now I vacuum seal in 1lb packages and place on the fridge and it is good till you want it, if left to the open air it will continue to dry and become shoe leather
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 1:51:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Very cool.  I may have to try my hand at that.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:18:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Final product sweet Sicilian fennel sausage on the left, traditional hot sausage on the right.
https://i.imgur.com/c6Ib3L4.jpg
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:29:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice

I need to get to Alesci's soon and get a pound or 2.

What type of wine?
We made some cider a few years ago in one of those and it was pretty decent.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I think there was a lengthy thread on this in GD last year.  Tons of guys seem to do this, and a bunch had some pretty cool setups.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:44:16 PM EDT
[#16]
There is some Chardonnay, Malbec, two different blends and some brunello
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:44:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Final product sweet Sicilian fennel sausage on the left, traditional hot sausage on the right.
https://i.imgur.com/c6Ib3L4.jpg
View Quote

@G-Lisch  Nice job, that looks awesome.  My grandparents used to do that in Pittsburgh (1st generation Americans, only spoke Italian at home).  I wish I would've learned how to do it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 2:56:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

@G-Lisch  Nice job, that looks awesome.  My grandparents used to do that in Pittsburgh (1st generation Americans, only spoke Italian at home).  I wish I would've learned how to do it.
View Quote

Maybe someone in your family did.  That's good enough reason to spend a Sunday afternoon calling family members.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:49:31 AM EDT
[#19]
@RareBear  I've called around & from what I can tell no one did.  We've got tomato sauce recopies & stuff like that.  

Thanks for the reminder to call some family though.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top