Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2021 11:54:48 AM EDT
Looking for agencies that may be hiring.

Link Posted: 9/6/2021 9:21:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Where are you from? What are you looking for? What part of the state are you looking to move to? What qualifications do you currently have?

Edit: I may have a couple of leads for you on rural county jobs, I can't help with city stuff.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 11:38:02 AM EDT
[#2]
If you’re not from Idaho and not already a cop with an agency with a solid record and experience, good luck.  You might be able to do a lateral move with the “bigger PD’s”.  No so much with these smaller agencies.  Outsiders coming here and trying to get jobs that have been long filled by people with deep roots to the community doesn’t usually go well.  

Idaho is a big state but a small world.  Nepotism is a real thing here.  Dad has a job somewhere, guess who gets hired after you do and moves up the ladder faster than you do?  I see this shit all the time here.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:49:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you’re not from Idaho and not already a cop with an agency with a solid record and experience, good luck.  You might be able to do a lateral move with the “bigger PD’s”.  No so much with these smaller agencies.  Outsiders coming here and trying to get jobs that have been long filled by people with deep roots to the community doesn’t usually go well.  

Idaho is a big state but a small world.  Nepotism is a real thing here.  Dad has a job somewhere, guess who gets hired after you do and moves up the ladder faster than you do?  I see this shit all the time here.
View Quote

You are right but there’s more to it, it goes for any profession and worth noting that you would be behind  DefensorFortis in a line… Promoting from within shouldn’t be muddled into the nepotism but you do have to add it to it. it’s a gazillion times to invest time, energy, and money in your employees than it is to find some rando from somewhere else that you have to try to read from afar and do all their legwork for them! People saying they want to come here are a dime a dozen so when we get a call or see a app/resume from someone that is not already established here it typically gets round filed. Add to that the numbers of LEO that are right next door from WA and OR that are actively trying to come here! We live in a place that people dream about retiring to with their nest egg so it adds even more complexity to the typical I want to move there thing.
Just a few things off the top of my head:
1) Research and go to an area that you are interested in.
2) Walk your resume in and try to get an interview while you are staying in the area.
3) Make sure housing is readily available - in some cases this may require a leap of faith and leasing something before you even have employment lined up and realizing that you may be walking away from that investment. How many times has everyone heard “I can’t find housing.”
4) Make sure you are going to be able to live within your means - I would say that most people that are leaving an area to come here to live and work have unrealistic expectations. Typically people are shocked at the wage scale here and typically people don’t want to work that are trying to come here. Another line we hear here, something like “I didn’t come here to work all the time”  or “I want to go do the things I came here to do…”
5) Never, never, never talk about how good they do things where you are from or how big your whatever is from where you are from - you need to be from here!

It does make a world of difference to know someone but they don’t need to be someone. If you had friends that you could stay with in an area it goes a long way to establishing yourself here… Arfcomer’s from Idaho are a relatively small group so picking up a lead here on the forum might not come easy.

On a side note you could get on food stamps from where you are from and come here, we will be glad to put you in subsidized housing, give you more food stamps and you can bring your whole network here to do the same. That vs a LEO making the same wage as a burger flipper (oh but the benefits package, lol), hard to compete with.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 3:42:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Wherever OP is from he’s trying to get out and move into the Redoubt. OP Cross posted into WY and MT HTF.
Both those states were far more encouraging than ours although the responses here were very good and insightful.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 7:14:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 7:46:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
@matt86
View Quote

Close bud…@matt58

Lol!

ETA: I sent OP an IM (at least I thought I did)
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 1:15:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Kootenai County Sheriff

The problem in Kootenai County ins't lack of jobs, it's being able to afford housing...

Lots of jobs here, but recent movers have driving up housing cost tremendously.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Close bud…@matt58

Lol!

ETA: I sent OP an IM (at least I thought I did)
View Quote

Lmao I knew I had it wrong haha!
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 2:03:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Kootenai County Sheriff

The problem in Kootenai County ins't lack of jobs, it's being able to afford housing...

View Quote

One might have been able to afford something on a Spokane PD salary, two years ago.

I was looking around at rental properties in midtown and the crap people are asking $400k for is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 11:59:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Sent you a message Chrome
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 10:22:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Kootenai County Sheriff

View Quote

Is it really the recent movers though? Or is it the Potato in the White House making the dollar worthless? My parents home down in Kommiefornia just keeps skyrocketing, doubled in value in the last year. My home here has gone up, but not as insane as other areas in the country. Remember, you'll own nothing by 2030 and you'll be happy! So IDK. FWIW I'm hoping for the mother of all winters to purge all the fair weather folks in the people farms of Post Falls. Maybe they'll decide the desert was where they belonged all along .
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 11:27:25 AM EDT
[#12]
+1 on the MOAW
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 12:36:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

FWIW I'm hoping for the mother of all winters to purge all the fair weather folks in the people farms of Post Falls.
View Quote

Can't argue with that thought one bit....for the entire North Idaho area!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top