Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2021 5:51:05 PM EDT
I live in Louisiana (again.)  I bought a used car from a dealer in New York, and had it shipped here. I have the original New Jersey title, signed over to the New York dealer. I also have the New York title and the eMV50 transferring it to me.

I’ve been to the Mansfield OMV twice, talked with both Patty and Selma on two different occasions. Both say there is a “federal law” that requires the title be signed over to me.  I registered my wife’s car and my truck with no issues, but noticed the MS titles have a place on the back to transfer them - NY does not.

Tried calling the OMV in Baton Rouge - 16 calls, 14 immediate hang-ups, 2 hang-ups after the first idiot answered.

Tried calling Albany - they are worse.

Anybody successfully titled and registered a car from NY in LA?  

I could probably drive the 6 hours to Baton Rouge or New Orleans and they ~might~ know what to do.  I’d rather educate Patty & Selma so the next guy doesn’t go through this.
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 9:28:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I can’t answer your question but maybe you could reach out to the justice of the peace down there. I had them help me with a goofy auto title issue before.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 2:06:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chuy18] [#2]
If you haven't resolved this , call BAT Notary in Baker , La . 225-774-4553  Ask for Bruce Wayne . Seriously , that's his name .  Smart guy , he can probably figure out what you need to do .
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 3:21:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Just to put a little closure on this, got my title, registration, and plate a couple weeks ago.

Had all the correct paperwork all along.  Went to the Mansfield LA OMV twice, registering my truck and the wife’s car. Tried to register my car and Patty & Selma started making up “federal” laws that said I needed a title extension.

Wife went to a local aftermarket OMV twice, and they said come back when the retired lady works. Third visit there, retired lady called Baton Rouge (like I did 18 times - got ms Shirley’s number and she wouldn’t pick up the phone or call back.)  Three weeks later, retired lady says go to Shreveport (appointment only, appointments 3 months out.)

Wife handed the lady in Shreveport the exact same folder of paperwork we’d been trying to use for 10 months. OMV lady handed her a plate & registration, and I got a title in the mail last week.  

I’m sooo tired of the incompetence in our government. Eleven months riding back and forth to work in a sport convertible with no license plate.

Proves that if you drive like a reasonable middle aged man, the deputies and state police don’t give a shit.  Even filled my car next to a deputy filling his cruiser, we talked about the weather, and I knew he saw the missing plate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top