Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2022 2:49:15 PM EDT
Does anybody out there have a bead / sand blasting cabinet?  I've got three 12" steel trailer wheel rims which need to be taken to bare metal.  

Already cleaned them off as much as possible; now what remains of the paint needs to go.  Dimensions are 12" dia x 4" wide and one (with tire still on) is 22" dia x 5.6" wide.  I'll come prepared with the tire and valve stem pre-masked.  I'm happy to either DIY or, if you prefer not to have others use your cabinet, will wait while you do it.  Payment can be arranged in beer, ammo, etc.

I'm in SE WI but am willing to travel if necessary.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 3:15:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I have used U-Spray in Butler before. They are at 4907 N 124th St.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 6:55:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have used U-Spray in Butler before. They are at 4907 N 124th St.
View Quote

…huh.  I didn’t know such a thing existed.  Thank you!  Just emailed an inquiry to check on prices.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 9:20:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

…huh.  I didn’t know such a thing existed.  Thank you!  Just emailed an inquiry to check on prices.
View Quote

I used to use them all the time for both bead blasting and sand blasting. This is several years ago, but at that time it was $1.25 per minute. And that is based on actual time that the spray gun is active. So if you need to inspect or move the item, or take a break, open the cabinet door and the timer pauses.

ETA: If I recall correctly, if you mask something off, they want you to use duct tape and not masking tape. It had something to do with masking tape coming off too easily and clogging the nozzles, or so they said.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 11:03:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I used to use them all the time for both bead blasting and sand blasting. This is several years ago, but at that time it was $1.25 per minute. And that is based on actual time that the spray gun is active. So if you need to inspect or move the item, or take a break, open the cabinet door and the timer pauses.

ETA: If I recall correctly, if you mask something off, they want you to use duct tape and not masking tape. It had something to do with masking tape coming off too easily and clogging the nozzles, or so they said.
View Quote

Thank you.  I’ll be sure to ask them about that.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 5:57:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I assume you have a drill?  Just go to Harbor Freight and get the pack of wire wheels.  Just do it yourself.  This is a clock I made from my race car's old pressure plate.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 12:14:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I assume you have a drill?  Just go to Harbor Freight and get the pack of wire wheels.  Just do it yourself.  This is a clock I made from my race car's old pressure plate.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/73819/287520384_10225747647949470_919631414163-2464882.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/73819/287543801_10225748187002946_470222246232-2464883.JPG
View Quote

Nice clock!

I've tried with wire brushes and only succeeded in running out my battery and overheating the drill.  There were also nooks and crannies the scouring brushes couldn't reach.  The results weren't all that great either.  Media blasting gets all areas and is just more effective.  The only time I dig out the brushes and drill are for very limited small areas which are easily accessible.

@mpdphil and @jrpett - Thank you again for the recommendation.  Their rates have changed, but it's still worthwhile.  $2.00/min and there's a 15 min minimum.  That's still worthwhile with doing all of the prep work before I arrive.  They also don't ban specific tape types but officially recommend three layers of duct tape.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 1:49:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Wouldn't it be easier to just pull the tires and valve stems?  Might also save you time in the booth if you were just working with the wheels.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 2:23:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Wouldn't it be easier to just pull the tires and valve stems?  Might also save you time in the booth if you were just working with the wheels.
View Quote

Two are pulled.  One is not, but the tire and stem are fine.  I'll just pre-mask.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 7:45:21 AM EDT
[#9]
So you’ve started taking the trailer apart?
I can come by this week, (don’t have the kids this week), to check out the welding and what needs to be done.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 9:21:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 3:17:35 PM EDT
[#11]

no no no...we don't allow semi-reputable equipment here. Go Hazard Fraught or go home.

https://www.harborfreight.com/portable-abrasive-blaster-kit-37025.html
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 5:41:39 PM EDT
[#12]
dupe..
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 5:51:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

no no no...we don't allow semi-reputable equipment here. Go Hazard Fraught or go home.

https://www.harborfreight.com/portable-abrasive-blaster-kit-37025.html
View Quote

LOL...

I've got one that sucks sand out of a 5 gallon bucket, or whatever container you have it in. I bought it at Home Depot a dozen years ago, when I rebuilt my dad's old steel snowmobile trailer. I used the real fine "sugar" sand I saved when we had a new well drilled, and I strained it through a copper window screen.

I blasted that whole trailer frame down to bare metal on one saturday. I parked it over a big tarp, so i could save the sand and re-use it. I wore the goggles that came with it and a full face mask I fabricated from an old neoprene snowmobiling face mask designed for use with a helmet and goggles. Wore leather work gloves too after the first 5 minutes...the blow back stung like a bitch if you got too close with the gun. My compressor couldn't keep up with the air flow volume, so i'd have to pause every few minutes so it could catch up. But it got the job done very nicely, and was far easier and more thorough than sanding or wire wheels. I've used it numerous times since on smaller projects. Well worth the $30 I paid for it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 5:02:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Naylor's Custom Metal Cutting has a Facebook page that states "the blast room is available to rent on a self-serve basis for $50/hour.  This includes the media and use of an OSHA approved blast helmet with a reasonable number of tear-off lenses.  All you have to do is show up with enough cash to cover your time and clothing to cover 100% of your body with the exception of your head as the helmet will cover that.  If you'd rather have us do the work the rate is $120/hour for full-service blasting".

I have never used them, just found them after reading this thread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top