Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2020 5:06:16 PM EDT
Moved out here from Idaho almost two years ago. I wanted to see if there was anyone out here that’s into fly fishing and willing to let an Idaho transplant tag along sometime.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 5:18:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in east TN and I fly fish.

Middle TN is limited as far as trout, there's a few places like Tims Ford and the Caney Fork, east TN is much better. Warm water fishing ought to be pretty good though.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 5:47:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 5:53:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Middle TN is limited as far as trout, there's a few places like Tims Ford and the Caney Fork, east TN is much better. Warm water fishing ought to be pretty good though.
View Quote
I am definitely not opposed to driving. I have been known to drive 4 or so hours one way if the blue line was worth it. The warm water action wasn't too bad this past year. My son and I had pretty good luck with crappie and smallmouth.

I am very close to the water  so we warm water fish a lot. I was wanting to get back to doing some cold water stuff though. Tail waters for some big trout and some off the beaten path blue lines for brookies.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 5:55:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Where in Middle Tn are you? I suck at fly fishing but enjoy it. I can possibly put you on some spots to fish.
View Quote
PM sent
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 5:58:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am definitely not opposed to driving. I have been known to drive 4 or so hours one way if the blue line was worth it. The warm water action wasn't too bad this past year. My son and I had pretty good luck with crappie and smallmouth.

I am very close to the water  so we warm water fish a lot. I was wanting to get back to doing some cold water stuff though. Tail waters for some big trout and some off the beaten path blue lines for brookies.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

East TN has the GSMNP and north and south Cherokee National forest. NC has a bunch too.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 7:32:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 4:46:52 PM EDT
[#7]
From the replies and PMs, it sounds like some scouting trips are in order. The one big thing it looks like I will have to get used to is the power generation flow changes. They’re not as abrupt or as often on tail waters out in Idaho.

Like I wrote in my original post. If anybody wants to go sometime, shoot me a PM. I am always willing to drive for some good fishing.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 7:17:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
From the replies and PMs, it sounds like some scouting trips are in order. The one big thing it looks like I will have to get used to is the power generation flow changes. They’re not as abrupt or as often on tail waters out in Idaho.

Like I wrote in my original post. If anybody wants to go sometime, shoot me a PM. I am always willing to drive for some good fishing.
View Quote
The flows here are a direct result of rain and whether the upstream lake is needing to go to full pool or go down from full pool, rain, etc.

Most dams in TN are TVA with the rest pretty much Corp of Engineers. TVA has an app for their discharges, it’s free and works well. They even have a few of the Corp dams on it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 8:23:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The flows here are a direct result of rain and whether the upstream lake is needing to go to full pool or go down from full pool, rain, etc.

Most dams in TN are TVA with the rest pretty much Corp of Engineers. TVA has an app for their discharges, it’s free and works well. They even have a few of the Corp dams on it.
View Quote
That makes sense as it rains a s**tload out here by comparison. I would imagine that with all the rain it can make fishing freestones a bit interesting.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 9:24:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That makes sense as it rains a s**tload out here by comparison. I would imagine that with all the rain it can make fishing freestones a bit interesting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes and no. I primarily fish freestones mostly in the GSMNP chasing brookies.

Right now yes, everything is blown out along with being too cold. Summertime is another story, the water gets low and with wild fish and gin clear water gets very tough.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 9:38:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yes and no. I primarily fish freestones mostly in the GSMNP chasing brookies.

Right now yes, everything is blown out along with being too cold. Summertime is another story, the water gets low and with wild fish and gin clear water gets very tough.
View Quote
I like high county freestones that are gin clear and tough. This was one of my favorite ones back home

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/It-is-early-but-the-high-country-is-producing/16-681325/

I loved the cutthroat out there. We have some brookies back home but not a ton. I would often go for their larger cousins the bull trout off the beaten path.

ETA: autocorrect
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 9:47:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Tried posting pics, didn’t work
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 10:12:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Tried posting pics, didn’t work
View Quote
Yeah I pretty much quit posting TRs once photobucket stopped allowing free hosting.

This was my local tail water. Average browns were 17-22”. It was less than an hour drive from the house as well.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/Hit-one-of-the-local-rivers/16-685756/
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 11:45:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:42:11 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm in Maury county.

We used to live in east TN and had some amazing adventures there, on warm (smallmouth bass) but fast-flowing rocky streams. New River, Clear Fork, Big South Fork, and the wife and I did fish the Clinch tailwaters below Norris once (for trout).

If you're in middle TN a trip to the Caney might be in order. It's the easiest trout water to access from the middle part of the state. I have a kayak and canoe and while I don't fly fish, I love smallmouth fishing in general and am always looking for fishing partners. Just sayin'.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 5:15:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm in Maury county.

We used to live in east TN and had some amazing adventures there, on warm (smallmouth bass) but fast-flowing rocky streams. New River, Clear Fork, Big South Fork, and the wife and I did fish the Clinch tailwaters below Norris once (for trout).

If you're in middle TN a trip to the Caney might be in order. It's the easiest trout water to access from the middle part of the state. I have a kayak and canoe and while I don't fly fish, I love smallmouth fishing in general and am always looking for fishing partners. Just sayin'.
View Quote
I had heard about the Caney and was planning on checking it out. I’m not opposed to non-trout species at all either. We used to have fun back home fly fishing for carp, smallmouth as well as largemouth. Damn those carp are ugly but they run hard. We also used to have a blast fishing for different species from float tubes on lakes. I’m not opposed to fishing with spin rods either. My youngest son and I were killing the crappie this past fall with UL spin rods and swim bait.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 6:55:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I had heard about the Caney and was planning on checking it out. I’m not opposed to non-trout species at all either. We used to have fun back home fly fishing for carp, smallmouth as well as largemouth. Damn those carp are ugly but they run hard. We also used to have a blast fishing for different species from float tubes on lakes. I’m not opposed to fishing with spin rods either. My youngest son and I were killing the crappie this past fall with UL spin rods and swim bait.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm in Maury county.

The Caney’s flow comes out of Center Hill dam which is managed by the US Corp of Engineers. Problem is the Corp can change their discharge schedule (TVA does too) at will and does a LOT. When you see the river start rising get out.

Carp=redneck tarpon. They are very spooky and don’t think for a minute they are easy to catch and to land on a fly rod. Great sport on those.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 8:53:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The Caney’s flow comes out of Center Hill dam which is managed by the US Corp of Engineers. Problem is the Corp can change their discharge schedule (TVA does too) at will and does a LOT. When you see the river start rising get out.

Carp=redneck tarpon. They are very spooky and don’t think for a minute they are easy to catch and to land on a fly rod. Great sport on those.
View Quote
Yeah carp can be spooky SOBs for sure. Yet like steelhead and salmon fishing it sure is fun.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:50:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Just a quick update...

I've hit a few spots and have had some success. I think I am going to try heading east and fish some blue lines in the higher elevations. Hell when I was in Idaho, my favorite spot was a 4.5hr drive from the house so not big deal. If anyone wants to fish the east side of the state let me know. I'm on vacation this week and have a pretty wide open schedule. Anyway, here are a few pics from a couple different adventures out here. Yes the pics suck but I haven't broke out my DSLR on any trips out here yet...

By the house

Back at the house

ETA: resized pics
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 4:08:36 PM EDT
[#20]
As one who fishes the GSMNP and South Cherokee NF, right now especially on the weekends the crowds are worse than usual especially in the GSMNP. The South Cherokee is a little better especially on the wild streams.

The water this spring has been high which beats it being low as it stresses the trout more. Hopefully as they open up more of the GSMNP the crowds will dissipate some.

If coming to the East, be careful to read the trout regs as they differ on the areas you might fish from what you presently fish bit in licenses, daily permits and closed days.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 6:55:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:27:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't know how to spell fish much less fly.

But I guaran-forking-tee you there are people here that can get you into some fish:  http://www.tndeer.com/forums/

Welcome from Lincoln county!!!
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 3:42:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
As one who fishes the GSMNP and South Cherokee NF, right now especially on the weekends the crowds are worse than usual especially in the GSMNP. The South Cherokee is a little better especially on the wild streams.

The water this spring has been high which beats it being low as it stresses the trout more. Hopefully as they open up more of the GSMNP the crowds will dissipate some.

If coming to the East, be careful to read the trout regs as they differ on the areas you might fish from what you presently fish bit in licenses, daily permits and closed days.
View Quote

Thanks for a heads up on the regs out east. I will be sure to read them prior to any trip that way. I may head out that way next week and see if I can't locate some brookies. If not I might try to hit that tailwater near me first then head to the hills at a later time.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 3:44:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Glad to see you've found a few spots.
View Quote

Thanks! We're having fun. My youngest seems to really be into going now. He keeps "bugging" me to go fishing every day now!
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 3:46:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I don't know how to spell fish much less fly.

But I guaran-forking-tee you there are people here that can get you into some fish:  http://www.tndeer.com/forums/

Welcome from Lincoln county!!!
View Quote

Thank you for the welcome. I will check out that site and see.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top