Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2021 9:53:56 PM EDT
I shipped a handgun to my daughter in Washington State from Kentucky. Is there any waiting period required for her to be able to pick up the gun?

Thanks in advance,

Dave Stoll
Louisville, Kentucky
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 10:29:04 PM EDT
[#2]
10 business days. So roughly, two weeks. Unless it's longer...which it sometimes is..
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 1:15:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks to both of you for the information. I will let my daughter know. She's supposed to fill out the paperwork after work today.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 5:10:45 PM EDT
[#4]
With my ffl/friend, it's as soon as the appropriate jurisdiction calls him with the proceed.

Depends on where you live. Some are a couple days, some wait until the last day-some run over
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 9:29:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With my ffl/friend, it's as soon as the appropriate jurisdiction calls him with the proceed.

Depends on where you live. Some are a couple days, some wait until the last day-some run over
View Quote

Yep. Right at around 5 business days for olympia police to do the background check
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I believe that my daughter mentioned waiting on Pacific County for approval.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 12:58:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I just flew back from Lexington last week

Probably would have been faster for you to adopt me, then give me the pistol to fly back to Washington, so I could give it to my new sister

Not sure about the cost comparison, probably competitive
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 8:26:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll pass on the adoption and it cost me just under $49 to ship using ShipMyGun.com.

Good choice on visiting Lexington. Far less chance of getting shot or car jacked than you would have if you had visited Louisville.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#9]
https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.092

RCW 9.41.092
Licensed dealer deliveries—Background checks.
(1) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter and except for semiautomatic assault rifles under subsection (2) of this section, a licensed dealer may not deliver any firearm to a purchaser or transferee until the earlier of:
(a) The results of all required background checks are known and the purchaser or transferee (i) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal or state law and (ii) does not have a voluntary waiver of firearm rights currently in effect; or
(b) Ten business days have elapsed from the date the licensed dealer requested the background check. However, for sales and transfers of pistols if the purchaser or transferee does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, then the time period in this subsection shall be extended from ten business days to sixty days.
(2) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, a licensed dealer may not deliver a semiautomatic assault rifle to a purchaser or transferee until ten business days have elapsed from the date of the purchase application or, in the case of a transfer, ten business days have elapsed from the date a background check is initiated.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 10:49:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'll pass on the adoption and it cost me just under $49 to ship using ShipMyGun.com.

Good choice on visiting Lexington. Far less chance of getting shot or car jacked than you would have if you had visited Louisville.
View Quote

I'm actually in the process of moving there. Already made one trip with the wife

Two more trips to go
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 10:56:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Some dealers will release the firearm according to the law and others will not

https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.090

RCW 9.41.090(6)(c)

The dealer shall, by the end of the business day, sign and attach his or her address and deliver a copy of the application and such other documentation as required under subsections (1) and (2) of this section to the chief of police of the municipality or the sheriff of the county of which the purchaser is a resident, or the state pursuant to subsection (3)(b) of this section. The triplicate shall be retained by the dealer for six years. The dealer shall deliver the pistol or semiautomatic assault rifle to the purchaser following the period of time specified in this chapter unless the dealer is notified of an investigative hold under subsection (5) of this section in writing by the chief of police of the municipality, the sheriff of the county, or the state, whichever is applicable, or of the denial of the purchaser's application to purchase and the grounds thereof. The application shall not be denied unless the purchaser is not eligible to purchase or possess the firearm under state or federal law.

Link Posted: 9/10/2021 1:03:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Some dealers will release the firearm according to the law and others will not

https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.090

RCW 9.41.090(6)(c)

The dealer shall, by the end of the business day, sign and attach his or her address and deliver a copy of the application and such other documentation as required under subsections (1) and (2) of this section to the chief of police of the municipality or the sheriff of the county of which the purchaser is a resident, or the state pursuant to subsection (3)(b) of this section. The triplicate shall be retained by the dealer for six years. The dealer shall deliver the pistol or semiautomatic assault rifle to the purchaser following the period of time specified in this chapter unless the dealer is notified of an investigative hold under subsection (5) of this section in writing by the chief of police of the municipality, the sheriff of the county, or the state, whichever is applicable, or of the denial of the purchaser's application to purchase and the grounds thereof. The application shall not be denied unless the purchaser is not eligible to purchase or possess the firearm under state or federal law.

View Quote

I think most wouldn't but technically they legally can release. If the person picked it up and found to be denied, then the police would go pick it up from the person.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 2:08:20 PM EDT
[#13]
There's a thread on another site with a list of FFLs and their policies

Quite a few release after 10 days
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 2:43:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Didn't use to be like this....
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 4:27:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Didn't use to be like this....
View Quote

You forgot to say Cali North.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 9:05:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Just send the frame to the ffl and the slide/barrel to her.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top