Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/18/2018 6:46:09 PM EDT
I am one of the many who voted for McDaniel , who lost to Cochran.... However-- he had been running an ad advertising that Hyde Smith  was against Mr. Trump. Now,, I see that Mr. Trump is advertising for her--- anybody have an opinion on this race??
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 8:06:00 AM EDT
[#1]
My opinion is that Hyde-Smith is trying to win without having to do anything other than using a recognizable name. Maybe she can't debate, or maybe she doesn't come across well on TV,  or maybe she doesn't want to give the competition any free advertisement. I'd have a hard time voting for her based on her butter status ("I support the 2A, but") while the Ag Commissioner. She's been a lifelong Democrat until recently, which it fairly common in MS politics....run as a Democrat locally, then switch to Republican later. Her whole career seems like swamp RINO to me.

Chris is sort of the wild card. Not afraid of the cameras, but he might also stick his foot in his mouth. His stance on the MS Flag will make him the national villain for anything having to do with race. The trouble with being a young upstart in the Senate is that you'll either get sacrificed for the greater good  or you'll be used as an example of what not to do. Very seldom do you become a rising star with that attitude unless you are a liberal. I'd be tempted to vote for him just as an anti-swamp influence.

Mike Espy is really the unknown element here. Most people have forgotten his corruption charges, or they don't care about them since he was ultimately acquitted. He can come across as being a Joe Manchin-type democrat which is appealing to many voters.

I really think it will come down to Espy and Smith in a runoff with Smith winning.

Around here, there are plenty of Smith and McDaniel yard signs, but none for Espy. No TV ads on the Memphis stations other than the Trump Rally, and that one only has Trump speaking and not Smith.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 8:56:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My opinion is that Hyde-Smith is trying to win without having to do anything other than using a recognizable name. Maybe she can't debate, or maybe she doesn't come across well on TV,  or maybe she doesn't want to give the competition any free advertisement. I'd have a hard time voting for her based on her butter status ("I support the 2A, but") while the Ag Commissioner. She's been a lifelong Democrat until recently, which it fairly common in MS politics....run as a Democrat locally, then switch to Republican later. Her whole career seems like swamp RINO to me.

Chris is sort of the wild card. Not afraid of the cameras, but he might also stick his foot in his mouth. His stance on the MS Flag will make him the national villain for anything having to do with race. The trouble with being a young upstart in the Senate is that you'll either get sacrificed for the greater good  or you'll be used as an example of what not to do. Very seldom do you become a rising star with that attitude unless you are a liberal. I'd be tempted to vote for him just as an anti-swamp influence.

Mike Espy is really the unknown element here. Most people have forgotten his corruption charges, or they don't care about them since he was ultimately acquitted. He can come across as being a Joe Manchin-type democrat which is appealing to many voters.

I really think it will come down to Espy and Smith in a runoff with Smith winning.

Around here, there are plenty of Smith and McDaniel yard signs, but none for Espy. No TV ads on the Memphis stations other than the Trump Rally, and that one only has Trump speaking and not Smith.
View Quote
This is what has turned me off to her and I think much of my county feels the same.  That's a clear "no go" around here.  We've already had Travis Childers and he didn't last long.  Espy doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell in DeSoto county.
I'll be supporting McDaniel.  I couldn't care less if they hate him for his flag stance, it tells me that he can take the heat and not waver.  The other big draw for me is that he hasn't had the chance to make friends in Washington like Smith has.  New blood.  I'm willing to take that chance.

McDaniel said Cochran would never stay in office when he ran.  He was right.  He at least gets the "I told you so."
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 6:56:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank for the above replies...... I already had decided to vote for McDaniel, just needed something to think about....
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 1:57:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll be voting for McDaniel as will all but 1 other person that I have spoken with.

I would not even consider voting for a Democrat or an ex-Democrat......ever.

For what its worth, an ex-friend of mine..... who also happens to be rabidly left-wing .......graduated high school with McDaniel  and before we became ex-friends a couple of years ago told me that despite her diametrically opposed political views that McDaniel was "a really good guy" when she knew him.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 8:57:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I have heard that Cindy Hyde-Smith (I hate hyphenated last names and do not trust women who do it) is telling folks that a vote for McDaniel is a vote for Espy because it would dilute her Republican vote count.

As I understand, the top 2 candidates will face each other in a run-off unless one candidate gets over 50% of the total votes.

So a vote for McDaniel will not help Espy at all.

I expect Espy and Hyde-Smith to be in a run-off.  Espy will get every black vote and every white liberal vote.  So Espy will lead the voting and make the national news.  But no way he will get over 50% of the votes.

Hyde-Smith and McDaniel will split the Republican vote.  Swamp RINOs will vote for Hyde-Smith.  Conservatives will vote for McDaniel.

If it ends up with Espy vs. McDaniel in a run-off, Espy could win because all of the swamp RINOs would rather have Espy in the Senate than a conservative.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 3:27:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Chris is basically the conservative candidate but he is a little out there for a lot of people.

Cindy is a nice lady but a perfect example of good ole boy politics and everything wrong with Washington. She has the backing and connections to get things down however. If you squint just right you might see some puppet strings going to Butler Snow and Haley Barbour.

Espy is a democrat. No matter what he says, claims, or does in front of a camera he is a democrat and all that entails. Anti gun, pro abortion, pro welfare, pro high taxes, and all the rest of the party line.

I'm probably voting for Cindy, not because I want to, but because MS cannot afford another Democrat and she has the financial and political backing to win over Espy.

Chris still has not impressed me since his last campaign ended in a goat rodeo instead of exposing Thad's infidelity in a way that would have been politically effective. Instead of winning he managed to barely escape being tied to nursing home Watergate.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 8:50:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I talked to some Delta farmers over the weekend and they are 100% Smith and said most of the "farm" vote is as well because of her being the former Ag Commish and because she will keep the subsidies flowing from DC. They didn't think McDaniel had a chance and didn't seem to know much about him other than the deal with Thad's wife. They view Smith as the no-hassle Thad replacement who will stay off the radar and generally vote with the R's on most things without a bunch of fuss. They didn't seem particularly motivated to vote because it is a foregone conclusion to them that Smith will win....that could very well end up being a factor if her turnout is low since McDaniel voters seem more motivated.

They also believe the nonsense about splitting the (R) vote.

If you go back and look at the 2014 maps that show the McDaniel vote, I think the 2018 map will be similar with Desoto and Jones county areas being carried by McDaniel. Hinds county area and college towns being carried by Smith. Delta area being split between Espy and Smith.

Disclaimer: (not a political analyst)
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 10:14:15 AM EDT
[#8]
True ^.  As I understand, this is a vote to fill the remaining part of Thud's term---not a new, full 6-year term.

Of course, once someone from Mississippi gets elected, it is their birthright, and they hold the office until they die.  In some cases, even longer.

And the vote turnout will be increased because it coincides with the General Election, when we vote against candidates for local and state offices.

ETA: I have been told that the white Delta farmers liked Mike Espy and they like Bennie Thompson because they support farm subsidies.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 2:32:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
True ^.  As I understand, this is a vote to fill the remaining part of Thud's term---not a new, full 6-year term.

Of course, once someone from Mississippi gets elected, it is their birthright, and they hold the office until they die.  In some cases, even longer.

And the vote turnout will be increased because it coincides with the General Election, when we vote against candidates for local and state offices.

ETA: I have been told that the white Delta farmers liked Mike Espy and they like Bennie Thompson because they support farm subsidies.
View Quote
White farmers in the delta also like democrats becuase they support the subsidies that keep their farm hands dumb cheap labor. If the delta population became educated or started wanting a real salary instead of living on government checks and benefits while working farms for cash it would cost some people a lot of money. Everyone can claim to be a social conservative but when money gets involved plenty of people are just fine with the delta being a pool of poor day labor.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 9:07:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Unless this ends up being a case where the polls are all wrong (which is possible), this is what the NBC/Marist poll looks like. Some polls have Espy getting the most vote, but not enough to win outright. Either way, it goes to a runoff.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 10:05:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

White farmers in the delta also like democrats becuase they support the subsidies that keep their farm hands dumb cheap labor. If the delta population became educated or started wanting a real salary instead of living on government checks and benefits while working farms for cash it would cost some people a lot of money. Everyone can claim to be a social conservative but when money gets involved plenty of people are just fine with the delta being a pool of poor day labor.
View Quote
As the saying goes, "All politics is personal."

Philosophy is great, but it is money in our pockets that counts when we are in that voting booth.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 11:05:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Unless this ends up being a case where the polls are all wrong (which is possible), this is what the NBC/Marist poll looks like. Some polls have Espy getting the most vote, but not enough to win outright. Either way, it goes to a runoff.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/224641/MS_Polls_png-714379.JPG
View Quote
Looking at that poll I don't see many people voting Chris voting for Espy in a runoff. Chris's base tends to be very small government and I just don't see them voting for a Democrat. They may not show up or may write in "The Swamp Thing", but I doubt many of them will vote for a Democrat.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:49:40 PM EDT
[#13]
No, but I can see lots of Hyde-Smith supporters voting for Espy in a runoff between Espy and McDaniel if it gets to that.

That is the same tag team that elected Cochran.

"Any enemy of my enemy is my friend" kind of thing, and the swampy Republicans hate conservatives more than they hate Democrats.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 10:39:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No, but I can see lots of Hyde-Smith supporters voting for Espy in a runoff between Espy and McDaniel if it gets to that.

That is the same tag team that elected Cochran.

"Any enemy of my enemy is my friend" kind of thing, and the swampy Republicans hate conservatives more than they hate Democrats.
View Quote
I'm sure if it comes to Espy V McDaniel the old guard of the GOP will have operatives convincing Jackson and the Delta that Chris holds Klan rallies in Rankin county when he isn't busy trying to revoke food stamps  and reinstate slavery.

I remember the smear campaign they ran against a black conservative becuase "gasp" he took money from some Jackson Republicans. Some of the same people that hate Melvin Priester and his son becuase they are educated.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 5:18:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Jackson and the Delta are solid Espy areas already.  They don't need any convincing.

Heck, the ballots are probably already marked for Espy.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 5:59:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Mildly interesting Yahoo news article about our little state.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/control-u-senate-may-hinge-possible-mississippi-runoff-100522033.html

(Reuters) - A crowded U.S. Senate race in Republican stronghold Mississippi could set the stage for weeks of uncertainty over which party ends up controlling the upper chamber of Congress after the Nov. 6 elections.

Two Republicans and two Democrats are contesting a special election to serve out the remainder of retired Republican Senator Thad Cochran's term. Under state law, if no one gets 50 percent of the vote, the top two candidates regardless of party affiliation will go to a Nov. 27 runoff.

It is a scenario that could focus international attention on the Southern state and bring in millions of dollars from outside political groups.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 9:36:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 9:54:55 AM EDT
[#18]
This weekend, I saw an Espy TV commercial for the first time. Smith was on the JT show Friday and it definitely sounds like she is expecting a runoff with Espy (like the article above states). I agree that if the MS senate race is the swing vote for the Senate, we'll likely see national attention. On the flip side, if the Senate appears to be safe, I'm afraid people won't be motivated to go vote in the runoff.

Either way, I plan to be parked in front of the TV Tuesday night with some beverages.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#19]
We just left the polling place... we got there about 20 minutes early and stood in line for about 45 minutes before we got to vote. The workers were having difficulty with the technology I believe.

Anyway, when we left the line of people waiting had grown until it was almost out to the road. I'd say there were at a minimum 100 people standing in line, most likely closer to 150. It's nice to see a good voter turnout.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 9:47:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
We just left the polling place... we got there about 20 minutes early and stood in line for about 45 minutes before we got to vote. The workers were having difficulty with the technology I believe.

Anyway, when we left the line of people waiting had grown until it was almost out to the road. I'd say there were at a minimum 100 people standing in line, most likely closer to 150. It's nice to see a good voter turnout.
View Quote
Glad to hear that people are out there voting. I'll be hitting my polling place later today, then try out that fancy new stretch of road.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:44:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Welp. I guess we get to vote again.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 9:19:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Welp. I guess we get to vote again.
View Quote
CHS is quoted as saying earlier that she didn't think she'd get 50%.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 9:22:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Twisted
Sister:

CHS is quoted as saying earlier that she didn't think she'd get 50%.
View Quote
Yeah, she's been saying that all along. I just wonder what the turnout will be like.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 2:09:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Glad to see Chris take the high road this time around in his concession speech. Hopefully CHS wins handily with most if not all of Chris's base behind her.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 4:07:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Glad to see Chris take the high road this time around in his concession speech. Hopefully CHS wins handily with most if not all of Chris's base behind her.
View Quote
I can't imagine his bunch supporting Espy after his speech last night.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:06:58 PM EDT
[#26]
November 27th R-U-N-N-O-F-T
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:03:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Smith gave Espy some bulletin board material.

"If he invited me to a public hanging, I'd be on the front row," Hyde-Smith said during a campaign stop in Tupelo, Mississippi. The man she was referring to was identified as a local rancher.
View Quote
"If he invited me to a public hanging, I'd be on the front row," Republican Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith said.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 5:41:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Sigh. Everything is always recorded. Politicians in 2018 that don't understand that everybody has a video camera in their pocket look out of touch and deservedly so. Context doesn't matter after the soundbite is in the wild.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Boss Hawg is probably upset a little by now, it looks like his chosen shyster might be in a tighter race now.  I'd like to know how much bribe $ she's taken from corporations bribing her to support the changes they want?  I mean, No Show Palazzo in 6 years is now worth over $3,000,000.00.  And growing every year.  They quit working for the common people when bribing politicians in DC was legalized, try doing what they do, say with the board of education or a district supervisor, and both of you might go to club fed for a few years.  It's happened here in south MS and should be happening more.  Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 2:19:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Hope yall are voting. I think it will be close, but it is hard to tell with all the noise.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 3:49:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Hope yall are voting. I think it will be close, but it is hard to tell with all the noise.
View Quote
I'll probably go by after work.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Voted for Cindy Smith.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 4:31:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Just voted
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 4:33:53 PM EDT
[#34]
I voted at 7:15 this morning.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 5:53:32 PM EDT
[#35]
I voted when the polls opened this a.m.  The African-American voters were out in pretty good numbers early.  I also got a couple of calls saying: Send a message and write in McDaniel or vote for Espy." If Espy wins, and McDaniel was behind splitting the vote, that is a punk move.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 8:30:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
The dem turnout looked big at my polling place based on the number of hipster guys and gals I saw.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 8:35:14 PM EDT
[#37]
It was pretty dead when I voted. Poll workers said it was at least half the traffic of general election.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:25:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Any links to live or frequently updated results?  Only link I have is CNN from Drudge, but fCNN.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:27:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Its the NYT, but it has historically been accurate and up to date

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/11/27/us/elections/results-mississippi-senate-runoff-special-election.html

Less than 1% of the vote in.

Espy 50.8%
Smith 49.2%
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:31:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:39:40 PM EDT
[#41]
What's the current senate makeup for 2019?
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:43:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
What's the current senate makeup for 2019?
View Quote
53R-47D if she wins

52R-48D if she loses
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:57:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Not good but still early:

U.S. Senate Special Election Decision 2018
2% OF PRECINCTS REPORTING
Mike Espy (D)...10,549...52%
Cindy Hyde-Smith (R)...9,578...48%
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:10:35 PM EDT
[#44]
13% in

Cindy Hyde-Smith*
Republican
56,75154.4%

Mike Espy
Democrat
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:21:14 PM EDT
[#45]
23% in

Cindy Hyde-Smith*
Republican

54.7%
Mike Espy
Democrat

45.3%
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:22:52 PM EDT
[#46]
23% in.

Cindy Hyde-Smith* Republican 93,139 54.7%
Mike Espy

Democrat

77,087 45.3%
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:24:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Percent...Candidate...Party...Votes
56.1%...   Cindy Hyde-Smith*...200,206
43.9%...Mike Espy...156,849
49.1% of precincts reporting (882/1,797)
*Incumbent
357,055 total votes
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:40:07 PM EDT
[#48]
43% reporting

Cindy Hyde-Smith*
Republican
162,73154.4%

Mike Espy
Democrat
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:40:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Really depends who is reporting. Hinds County and the Delta are probably going to be deep blue.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:50:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top