Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2020 7:57:00 PM EDT
I was very disappointed to find out that Illinois SBRs have to be at least 26” OAL. That rules out what I want other than a 10.5” AR.

After seeing DS Arms selling the M203 receivers I’ve been mulling a stand alone M203 build.

Any other DD owners here in Illinois?
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 9:34:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 12:33:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I was very disappointed to find out that Illinois SBRs have to be at least 26” OAL. That rules out what I want other than a 10.5” AR.

After seeing DS Arms selling the M203 receivers I’ve been mulling a stand alone M203 build.

Any other DD owners here in Illinois?
View Quote
Where does it say 26" OAL?
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 1:24:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Where does it say 26" OAL?
View Quote
Believe it is coming from here:

(ETA for updated Public Act.  Does the length apply to all A and B or just the re-enactor?  There may have been a bill to change that filed but never made it to committee. I sorta remember Todd V looking at it when he was an NRA IL liaison.  Maybe recall some reports of ATF SBR denials)

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.asp?ActID=1876&ChapterID=53&SeqStart=68200000&SeqEnd=71300000

(c) Subsection 24-1(a)(7) does not apply to or affect any of the following:

(7) A person possessing a rifle with a barrel or barrels less than 16 inches in length if:

(A) the person has been issued a Curios and Relics license from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives; or (B) the person is an active member of a bona fide, nationally recognized military re-enacting group and the modification is required and necessary to accurately portray the weapon for historical re-enactment purposes; the re-enactor is in possession of a valid and current re-enacting group membership credential; and the overall length of the weapon as modified is not less than 26 inches.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 3:30:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Sven,

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate hearing from a pro like yourself.

The M203 is basically a “we have to stay in Illinois” present to myself and a toy for the 4th and other special occasions.  I really enjoy giving people a fun shooting experience when they come to my house. I got rid of all my guns that didn’t have a specific purpose which left me with a small but quality collection. I want a special piece that is exotic but quality.  The SBR was going to be a PS90 so the cost is a wash in my mind after magazines and the cost of a new specialty caliber to manage. Further, I want to patronize a company that gave the finger to Illinois!

We were lucky to move rural and can enjoy my own range. The M203 could safely be shot and there’s water to shoot over as well. and have gotten back into reloading as my old range wouldn’t allow you to bring your own ammo. I’ve been archiving all the reloading data and tips from Grogs and others. Not a lot of room for error!  I’m currently going through the process of getting a magazine and license EPCDs (Explosive Pest Control Devices) which is a complete joke. But, I’ll feel better with the EPCDs and my powder in the magazine.

The other great thing about ammo is my BIL runs our lathe dept and has been saving me the bar ends from some nice SS and Monel with the certs. Making cannon rounds and a 14.5mm marking round barrel are some ideas. I see the M203 as a work around to the no SBS in Illinois as well.

As far as cost, I was going to spread out the barrel and stand alone unit while my stamp gets processed.

If you have any vendors for 40mm you could recommend I’d appreciate any help!

See you at the Bullpup Shoot!

Bystander
Thanks for pulling up that legislation.
It really kills all the fun small stuff.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 5:11:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We were lucky to move rural and can enjoy my own range. The M203 could safely be shot and there’s water to shoot over as well.

Bystander
View Quote
I dont know how/if it applies but there was a previous discussion on IL law in the wildlife code prohibiting shooting over water.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/hometown/Legal-to-shoot-over-a-creek-/23-635570/

...520 ILCS 5/2.33

q) It is unlawful to fire a rifle, pistol, revolver or airgun on, over or into any waters of this state, including frozen waters....
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 3:54:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I dont know how/if it applies but there was a previous discussion on IL law in the wildlife code prohibiting shooting over water.

...520 ILCS 5/2.33

q) It is unlawful to fire a rifle, pistol, revolver or airgun on, over or into any waters of this state, including frozen waters....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We were lucky to move rural and can enjoy my own range. The M203 could safely be shot and there’s water to shoot over as well.

Bystander

...520 ILCS 5/2.33

Would the M203 be legal fired over water if it were stand alone?

Mounted on a rifle it would conflict with that law.

Technically a standalone M203 wouldn't be a rifle, pistol, revolver, or air gun.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 8:56:50 PM EDT
[#7]
looks like we have an aspiring ATF letter writer.
Private property that gets flooded and isn’t connected to public or federal water. That means I’m ok....just like you were at a quarry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top